University of Hawai'i Uni changes for upcoming season

CityOfWalrus

The Warriors are changing up the pants this season and adding white to the scheme to give different choices for color combos.

heres a screenshot of the pants:

NewUHpants.jpg

They have the tapa design inside the side cut aways

close up here:

NewUHPants2.jpg

So they will have now Black and White jerseys, Green, Black and White Pants and apparently theres a rumor that they will have Green and White helmets such as shown here:

l_e2959b07c6ba42b6ae379a0098dcb5-1.jpg

spacer.png

I while I like Hawaii's current identity package (even though I don't like how UA is translating that into uniforms, though that's more a general UA issue), it's time for me to post the obligatory Hawaii Rainbow Warriors sets that I always post when I see a UH topic. These uniforms bring back memories of the intense BYU-Hawaii rivalry I remember as a young BYU fan.

Hawaii3.jpg

Hawaii2.jpg

Hawaii1.jpg

Hawaii4.jpg

Man, as a lifelong Cougar fan I still hate seeing these uniforms, but they are a sweet set. You may now resume the thread.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I while I like Hawaii's current identity package (even though I don't like how UA is translating that into uniforms, though that's more a general UA issue), it's time for me to post the obligatory Hawaii Rainbow Warriors sets that I always post when I see a UH topic. These uniforms bring back memories of the intense BYU-Hawaii rivalry I remember as a young BYU fan.

Man, as a lifelong Cougar fan I still hate seeing these uniforms, but they are a sweet set. You may now resume the thread.

I think they are having a retro night this season so you might see those unis again at least for one night.

I'm not a big fan of the black they added to their unis but if they took a page from these unis and went with white lids, green tops, and white pants their look would be perfect.

sig.jpg

Man, those are cool... too bad athletes are such homophobes!

Eh, not the athletes... just some guy named "June."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's really a shame that Hawaii went from one of the original names in all of sports to one of the most common and overused names in sports just to make sure no one thought they were gay or something. In my entire life as a sports fan I never once associated Hawaii Rainbows with anything other than the football team.

On topic, I'd like to see a white helmet added in to their current set. Love the old look too.

BB52Big.jpg

It's not the athletes that are the homophobes. It's the administration. The athletes had nothing to do with the name change, and yes, those Hawai'i uniforms are vastly better than the "fake" tough look they have now. I miss watching Rainbow Wahine volleyball. I miss watching late night Hawai'ii Rainbow football on Prime Ticket at one o'clock in the morning. That was cool. Now Hawai'i is just another "tough" football program. They took everything unique about the program away when they dropped the rainbow thing because they were afraid of the connotations that no one made.

Actually...it wasn't just the opinons of mainlanders that the UH administration was worried about there.

I actually have the privilege right now of being out here working directly with an entire National Guard brigade from Hawai'i. In fact, just to test that theory of mine, I printed out a couple pictures of the old Rainbow Warrior logos and various sports uniforms as well as some of the new (current) stuff. Turns out that a nice-size contingent of them also held those same connotations. The majority of the response I got back? "Man...that older s*** was so gay.

As for the tapa print being applied throughout the uniform, many of them are mixed about it. However, I did find this one response to be rather interesting...it came from one of the soldiers who once played on the UH football team--big dude, too. He said that while he finds the use of the tapa design interesting, he isn't at all happy with HOW it's being used. I asked him what he meant and he said he preferred the older use of design--in other words, the arm- and leg-bands that went with the pre-UA design, since that's more indicative of a "warrior". (And once you see some of the tattoos some of these guys have up close and personal, it'll make a LOT more sense...they are some of the most intricate patterns I've ever seen. Most of the guys with them out here are actually some type of chief or head of their respective villages.)

Just thought I'd share that.

As for the uniform itself...I actually never have been a fan of the current helmet's base color (guess that could be Hawai'i's "midnight green"). If they were to go with the white shell, green jerseys, and white pants, I think that would be a nice link to the past look of the Rainbows while still maintaining the current "edge" of the present-day Warriors identity.

(The funny thing is that I actually have had a concept design for UH football for a while now that I've never posted that has white helmets and pants...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Tapa design is majorly a unique design because it involves many point of culture.

The Triangle represents a symbol of a shark's tooth which in the culture its a symbol for protection. A tattoo of patterns used up of the Tapa design is considered a sign of strength, royalty and power. Many poly players have a Tapa Tattoo design on themselves somewhere.

I wish they'd have kept the Band on the left leg and left arms. I have no qualms about the old uniforms as I happen to of loved the pre-UA designs. But whatever they wear I'm still gonna be a fan.

spacer.png

Actually...it wasn't just the opinons of mainlanders that the UH administration was worried about there.

I actually have the privilege right now of being out here working directly with an entire National Guard brigade from Hawai'i. In fact, just to test that theory of mine, I printed out a couple pictures of the old Rainbow Warrior logos and various sports uniforms as well as some of the new (current) stuff. Turns out that a nice-size contingent of them also held those same connotations. The majority of the response I got back? "Man...that older s*** was so gay.

As for the tapa print being applied throughout the uniform, many of them are mixed about it. However, I did find this one response to be rather interesting...it came from one of the soldiers who once played on the UH football team--big dude, too. He said that while he finds the use of the tapa design interesting, he isn't at all happy with HOW it's being used. I asked him what he meant and he said he preferred the older use of design--in other words, the arm- and leg-bands that went with the pre-UA design, since that's more indicative of a "warrior". (And once you see some of the tattoos some of these guys have up close and personal, it'll make a LOT more sense...they are some of the most intricate patterns I've ever seen. Most of the guys with them out here are actually some type of chief or head of their respective villages.)

Just thought I'd share that.

As for the uniform itself...I actually never have been a fan of the current helmet's base color (guess that could be Hawai'i's "midnight green"). If they were to go with the white shell, green jerseys, and white pants, I think that would be a nice link to the past look of the Rainbows while still maintaining the current "edge" of the present-day Warriors identity.

(The funny thing is that I actually have had a concept design for UH football for a while now that I've never posted that has white helmets and pants...)

It's so nice to see people having a "mature" (complete sarcasm) opinion about a logo. What is so "gay" about it? I guess closet homophobes will always come out of the dark when they least suspect it. The logo has nothing to do with sexual orientation, and yet ignorant, immature people have to place it as being "gay". My guess is that these "guys" who called it "gay" would probably get their butts handed to them by the men who wore those great Rainbow Warrior uniforms.

It's so nice to see people having a "mature" (complete sarcasm) opinion about a logo. What is so "gay" about it? I guess closet homophobes will always come out of the dark when they least suspect it. The logo has nothing to do with sexual orientation, and yet ignorant, immature people have to place it as being "gay". My guess is that these "guys" who called it "gay" would probably get their butts handed to them by the men who wore those great Rainbow Warrior uniforms.

Hey...they said it, not me. ^_^

FWIW, I think I spoke with about 15 or 20 soldiers out the Hawai'i brigade out here (both male and female), all of Polynesian descent, all natives of the state of Hawai'i (not to be confused with native Hawaiian...though I think two of those guys actually were). I think I remember three of those guys telling me they actually played on past UH football teams (though I didn't get the years), so take that for what it's worth. Tried my best to get their viewpoints on the UH indentity--the people to whom that would matter the most, in my opinion.

I'm actually neutral on this issue, but I do see your point, oddball. While I do appreciate the thought process, symbolism, and meaning that went into the current identity, I also still like the previous identity. That's part of the reason I kinda hope they do go with the white helmet/green jersey/white pants (or white jersey/green pants on the road) look as a primary next season, to kinda harken back to the days (and UH uniform looks) of Jesse Sapolu, Jeff Ulbrich and the like--not to mention the early '90s squads.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived