SANZAR Super 14 Rebrand

Davidson

As you may have already seen in another thread, myself and Gazzzaf are creating a rebrand for the SANZAR (South Africa New Zealand & Australia Rugby) Super 14 competition. For those not familiar with this competition, it is debatably the best club rugby competition in the world. Teams from each of the afore mentioned nations (5 from SA, 5 from NZ and 4 from AUS) compete in a league and final 4 playoff for the Super 14 Championship.

In the case of Australia, teams are largely based within state lines. Queensland, New South Wales and The Australian Capital Territory each have teams as well as the Recently formed Western Australia team based in perth.

South Africa is represented by the 5 largest and most successful clubs in the Republic in much the same way the champions league works only now, these teams do not rotate depending on domestic performances. they are now branded specifically for the competition as distinct franchises. Northern Transvaal become the Bulls, Free State are the Cheetahs, Guateng are the Lions, Natal are the Sharks and Western Province are Stormers

This is similar to the Kiwi model where franchises are drawn from the 5 biggest club teams are their surrounding smaller unions. For instance the Wellington Lions conglomerate with Taranaki, Hawks Bay, Neslon and Manawatu to become the Hurricanes. Other teams include the Auckland Based Blues, the Canterbury based Crusaders, The Otago/Southland based Highlanders and the Waikato based Chiefs.

So basically its going to work like this. I will redesign each club logo and Gazzzaf will be doing the Strips.

I hope you like them. (Original logos will be posted for reference).

FD

okay here are the first lot. i have started with the south african teams and am just getting onto the kiwi teams.

the original logo is top left, the bg colour is representative of the home jersey colour and i have added a little info.

please excuse the very poor layout. i will update all the images when i get a chance.

fd

s14_bulls.jpg

s14_stormers.jpg

s14_cheetahs.jpg

Sharks: I really, really like this one. Very clean and crisp, and definitely gets the whiplike motion of a shark across. Nice work there.

Cheetahs: These are okay, I just feel that: A. it's a little on the complicated side, what with all the spots ans so on and B. You've got one too many colors in there. I would suggest a gold and purple color scheme; it would fit a cheetah's colors more, but also stay unique.

Chiefs: Interesting idea you've got there, but way too much detail going on. The faces would just look like random squiggles when viewed from any further than three feet. I'd simplify it and have more bold swatches of color. I like the wordmark, though.

Lions: The head feels a little too small and is set back into the body too much (no neck) but other than that, this is an excellent logo. Dynamic, fairly clean, and a great color scheme. Nice work.

Stormers: Pretty good logo here. Reminds me of a mix between the old Chargers wordmark and the Capitals current look. Very clean, which is nice.

Bulls: Every time I look at it, this reminds me of the Buffalo Bulls primary logo reversed. Same colors, same basic look. I'd switch it up so that no one else mixes them up. As for the logo itself, the body is way too small. Beefen it up, and it will help a lot.

scotland_fifasig.png

Great job as always davidson. To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed you reused some logos you've made before instead of making them completely original (Sharks), but it'll do.

Love

Cheetahs - The only thing I don't like is how the wordmark isn't really attached to the logo as in your other ones. It's just there. Rendered beauitfully.

Chiefs - It looks like you might've reused a logo you've made before here (looks familiar) but it still looks great. Love the wordmark.

Lions - freakin beauitful. Nothing bad.

Stormers - Love the simplicity. This would be a Love but the only thing throwing me off is the "M". Some people might not see the red M, instead see the white (as the rest of the letters) which is an N. I'd say just get rid of the "N" or make it less noticeable.

Could use some work

Bulls - Has a lot of potential, but the wordmark reminds me too much of the Blue Jays, and the bull looks too happy. Looks like he's smiling. He looks too skinny too. Bulk him up.

Sharks - maybe it's that I've seen the logo before, but the whole shield thing behind it throws me off.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I love the Chiefs, Sharks, and Cheetahs.

The Lions looks off to me, I agree the head is to small. Could be great with that changed.

The Stormers is an iconic logo to me that is hard to top, I like the logo but I wouldn't replace the current one with it.

Logocruncher was spot on saying the Bulls looks to similar to the UB Bulls, I would tweak the current logo more than I would remake the whole logo.

ManchesterCity_10Sig.png

The Cheetahs and Lions are beautiful. My favorites of the whole bunch. But the bulls seems a little off to me. I agree with Chestnut in that it looks like the bull is smiling and the wordmark is a little similar to the blue jays wordmark. Great job overall with this Davidson.

jNTsTyQ.png

okay here are the first lot. i have started with the south african teams and am just getting onto the kiwi teams.

the original logo is top left, the bg colour is representative of the home jersey colour and i have added a little info.

please excuse the very poor layout. i will update all the images when i get a chance.

fd

s14_bulls.jpg

The bulls head is way too big on that body

detsig.png

Looks like Fraser has hit the ground running with the series. I'm going to have a hard time keeping up. You've all been briefed on this set so I wont waste time. Here's the Shark's kits.

2009_s14_sharks_pri.jpg

2009_s14_sharks_sec.jpg

sig.png

Fantastic so far. Loving the South African teams, except the Bulls. I agree that the bull needs a bit bulking up. Really looking forward to seeing the other teams, especially the Highlands.

Oh and a side note, Nelson doesn't actually exist any more, they merged with Malborough to form the Tasman Makos and they supply players to the Crusaders.

thanks for all the feedback fullas,

gonna take it all on board and come back with a revised set of logos for all the african teams

in the next couple of days. then onto the aussie teams and finally the kiwis.

chur

• 2 weeks later...

okay, so i have made a couple of changes to some of the south african logos.

i was pretty pleased with the sharks logo so ive left that as is, the stormer has a slight alteration and

i have reworked the cheetahs concept so that the logo better resembles the free state currie cup logo.

CHEETAHS.jpg

SHARKS.jpg

STORMERS.jpg

lions and bulls to follow shortly.

My only problem with anything either of you has done so far is that the Lions and the Bulls logos are too similar. Sure one is a bull and one is a lion, but they are posed very similarly. I think maybe the Cheetahs and Sharks follow a similar pattern. I am not sure that those 4 franchises would feel that they had been given a unique identity. Maybe Gazzaf can fix that a bit with the kits?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

ill grant you that all the animals face the same direction.

as the logo almost always sits on the right (as we face it) of the jersey,

i prefer it to face inward for some reason.

here they all are in direct comparison on home and away colours.

super14southafrica.png

Archived