Phillies Broadcaster Harry Kalas dies at 73

BB61

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is awful. Like the Philles or not, you gotta admit, Harry Kalas was a living legend and had one of the best voices in all of sports. I can still remember him doing NFL Films on a somewhat regular basis and having one of those great voices that seemed to be meant for NFL Films.

But at the same time, it was meant for the Phillies as well. Wow, they just had a Harry Kalas Day for him on this past Wednesday, I believe. But wow, this is just sad.

This will be stuck in my head all day:

What an awesome voice. In a year where we lost Skip Caray, Red Kerr, and Harry Kalas, we need to appreciate the old broadcasters we still have while we can.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I can honestly say I've never been as affected by a non-family death as I am by this. He was the voice of every game I listened to since I was 5 years old. I'm just glad he was able to call a World Series win before he died, since he was barred from calling it in '80.

When they signed Tom Macarthy to his contract last season, it was pretty clear that he was the heir apparent, and I had given thougt to what summer would eventually be like without Harry. I honestly couldn't imagine it. I know it's cliche, and I don't want to fall in to hyperbole here, but he was part of the lifestyle here.

I'm going to the next home game - wonder what they'll do for a memorial. My guess is that they'll do something with his restaurant in the outfield.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

To be quite honest, they are not going to cancel a game on that short of a notice due to the death of an announcer for the other team. It's sad, but I'm sure that Harry Kalas would've wanted them to go and play, and plus it's also the right thing to do to play the other team's home opener.

They'll be playing with a lot on the mind, but at least they'll know that it's what Harry would've wanted.

I'm sure more people here outside of Philly will remember him as the voice of the old NFL Flims videos that were out in the 80's, which I remember fondly (I loved Football Follies. That was some great comedy there).

To all of those in Philly, he's the voice of your beloved World Champions. I think it's nice for him to see a winner in his lifetime.

God bless him and his family.

To be quite honest, they are not going to cancel a game on that short of a notice due to the death of an announcer for the other team. It's sad, but I'm sure that Harry Kalas would've wanted them to go and play, and plus it's also the right thing to do to play the other team's home opener.

They'll be playing with a lot on the mind, but at least they'll know that it's what Harry would've wanted.

I could play the could/should have game, but alas, it's an unfortunate occurrence.

What a sad day for baseball. My wife and mother-in-law, both big Phillies fans, are in shock.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

I don't think anyone is saying that they shouldn't play the game. It'll be tough for the Phillies announcers though. Maybe as a tribute, they could do a "silent" broadcast.

I was away at college when Richie Ashburn died, but I'm fairly certain that nothing got cancelled for him either.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wish I could find a clip of his call of Michael Jack's 500th home run in Pittsburgh.

Statement from Bud Selig

Here is a statement from MLB commissioner Bud Selig:

"Major League Baseball has lost one of the great voices of our generation. Harry Kalas was an outstanding ambassador for the game, first as an original member of the Houston Astros' broadcast team in 1965 and, beginning in 1971, as the voice of the Philadelphia Phillies.

"Baseball announcers have a special bond with their audience, and Harry represented the best of baseball not only to the fans of the Phillies, but to fans everywhere. On behalf of all of Major League Baseball, I express my dearest sympathy to Harry's wife, Eileen, and his three sons, Todd, Brad and Kane."

Phillies' Statement on Kalas

The Phillies have released a statement on Harry Kalas' death:

Hall of Fame Phillies Broadcaster Harry Kalas died today at the age of 73. Mr. Kalas was found unconscious in the Phillies broadcast booth where he was preparing for today's Washington Nationals home opener. He was taken to George Washington University Hospital where he was pronounced dead at approximately 1:20 p.m. Cause of death is unknown.

"There are no words to express the sadness that the entire Phillies organization is feeling with the news about Harry's passing," said Phillies President and CEO, David Montgomery. "Harry was the voice of the Phillies, but he was also our heart and soul. He loved our game and called it like none other. The entire baseball world has suffered a great loss today."

Funeral arrangements are pending.

Archived