Phillies Broadcaster Harry Kalas dies at 73

BB61

The Nats actually considered canceling this afternoon's game. We learned more details after the 9-8 loss. Here's what happened, in essence: After receiving the news that Harry Kalas had died, Nationals officials approached their Phillies counterparts with a question: What do you want to do? Although it was never explicitly stated, the Nationals were prepared to call off the game -- and send some 40,000 fans home -- if the Phillies felt they could not play.

"We said, 'What do you think is appropriate?'" said Nationals President Stan Kasten. "We never went into, 'What should we do? What shouldn't we do?' There's no manual for what to do in these circumstances, that close to the beginning of the game when 40,000 people are already in their seats.

"Ultimately it was our call but we wanted to know the wishes of the Phillies before we decided, and I'm sure we would have acceded to their wishes if they felt strongly--and especially if the [players] felt strongly."

Phillies President David Montgomery said the team was appreciative of the Nationals' sensitivity.

"But Harry would have wanted us to play," Montgomery said.

Today's attendance: 40,386. A Nationals Park record, and a sellout.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationals...notes.html#more

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was an awfully nice gesture of the Nationals to offer to call the game. I'm glad they went on with it, even though it must've been hard for Wheels, Sarge, Franzke, McCarthy, and L.A. to go on having just lost Harry not even two hours before first pitch. Franzke was pretty teary when they interviewed him, but poor Larry Andersen was beside himself. He said he remembered when Harry sung "High Hopes" after they clinched the division in Pittsburgh in '93, and he didn't think he'd ever want to hear that song again.

In watching the tribute on CSN, I guess it's a bit full circle that he died not only "at the office", but that he died in Washington, home to the Senators, who he followed when he was a kid. I remember hearing that story about him and Mickey Vernon before and how that was, in essence, a million years ago. The sports landscape has changed so much since then. Players seem a million miles away from the fans. Investments, really. And Harry remembered what it was like when fans were closer to the team and that's how he was with Phillies fans, and, I think, baseball fans in general.

philly.png

That was an awfully nice gesture of the Nationals to offer to call the game.

IIRC, when Whitey died in '97 (albeit not two hours before the game), Harry said that if it should ever happen to him, he'd want them to play. Could be mistaken about though, but I think I remember that. Still, good on the Nats for at least considering the Phillies wishes.

Players seem a million miles away from the fans. Investments, really.

That's the thing though - the players came and went (more so recently than back in the '70s / '80s) but every summer, Harry was there. In this day and age, it's not common for anyone in any profession to stay with the same company for 30+ years, but I can only hope that TMac settles in and brings the same kind of consistency to the position, so that some day, our kids will have great memories of growing up with him (even if he never acheives what Harry has acheived).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

God bless, Harry Kalas. I mourn his memory and feel for his family and friends, but I selfishly mourn my own loss. I cannot believe I won't be able to hear him call a game again. Hearing his voice for the first spring training game each year was the moment when the winter deep freeze thawed and we knew baseball was back. It was reassuring and strong. His last game and last home run call were fantastic and I am so happy for him that he was able to call the '08 Series and be apart of all the festivities.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I focus my Extra Innings viewing mainly to watch the Yankees (and check on the Mets.) However, if neither of those teams are on I go to the game with the broadcasters I like best. I watched the first Phillies game they showed on the package just so I could hear Harry Kalas call a game because when I was a child we had WTAF on our cable package and I'd sometimes watch Phillies games to listen to him. Although I hate the Dodgers with a passion, if they're at home I'll watch their games to hear Vin Scully work in a solo booth.

In the 80's the east was lucky to have many great broadcasters available to listen to if you tried to seek them out on AM radio. Bob Murphy with the Mets, Harry with the Phillies, John Miller with the Orioles, Ernie Harwell with the Tigers and Jack Buck with the Cardinals. Hearing of Harry's death has made me feel a bit old now since of this group I grew up with only John Miller is left actively working games and only he and Harwell are still with us.

RIP Harry.

Lets not underestimate his NFL Films work, he made a great transition from John Facenda, those highlight package just won't sound the same again.

Nobody is underrating that, but you can certainly understand how we think of him first as the guy we listened to for 162 games + preseason + postseason (sometimes) every year since our childhood, plus the guy who was seemingly at every major event in the city, plus the guy who many of us met and had a fantastic experience with, plus the guy who... well, you get it.

Plus, there's a little bit of a difference between narrating taped games and calling live ones (yes, I know he did Westwood One games sometimes too.)

I was at the game and I wondered what they'd do. Hearing that the Nationals offered to call it is great but, like others said, Harry would not want that.

All of my great memories of the Phillies involve him. R.I.P Harry

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Cool that the Phillies are honoring him in such a historic way (according to the article, it hasn't been done this way since Babe Ruth) but it's kind of creepy in a way. I may take the subway down there on Saturday morning, but I have a feeling that there is going to be more people that can get inside in the four hours the park will be open.

Kalas' casket to be on view

By Sal Paolantonio

ESPN

The casket containing the body of Hall of Fame Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas will be on view beginning at 8:45 a.m. Saturday at home plate at Citizens Bank Park.

Fans will be able to file past Kalas' casket and pay their respects for about four hours, after which there will a memorial service.

Kalas passed away Monday after collapsing in the broadcast booth before the Phillies' 9-8 victory over the Washington Nationals. He was 73.

The last time a baseball figure was honored this way at a major league ballpark was for Babe Ruth on Aug. 17, 1948, according to Tom Shieber, senior curator at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, N.Y.

"To be honored in the same way as Babe Ruth tells you just how much Harry Kalas was part of the consciousness of the fans of Philadelphia," Shieber said.

According to news reports at the time, police estimated 50,000 people filed past Ruth's casket on the field at Yankee Stadium.

The Phillies organization, which decided to honor Kalas in this historic way, will fly the team's flag at half-staff. Gates will open at 8 a.m. ET.

And then there are all the things being done on Friday.

A series of tributes has been announced by the Phillies to honor Harry Kalas, the team's legendary, Hall of Fame broadcaster who died suddenly on Monday.

The Phillies first home series since Kalas' passing will be this weekend against the San Diego Padres. Fans are being urged to arrive early for Friday night's game (7:05). The ceremonial first pitch will be thrown out by Harry's three sons, Todd, Brad and Kane.

Prior to the National Anthem, which will be sung by his son, Kane, there will be a moment of silence. All fans will receive an 8" x 10" color photograph of Harry Kalas.

Harry's signature will be displayed on the field during the seven-game homestand starting with Friday night.

The television booth in which Harry broadcast since Citizens Bank Park opened in 2004 will be named the Harry Kalas Broadcast Booth, "That ball's outta here!" A plaque will be hung to officially name the booth. The neighboring radio booth is already named Richie "Whitey" Asburn Broadcast Booth, "This game's easy, Harry."

Also for the seven game homestand, a black drape will appear in front of the Phillies radio and TV booths and the Phillies flag in Ashburn Alley will be hung at half-staff.

A video of Harry's career will be shown on PhanaVision.

During the seventh-inning stretch, a video of Harry singing "High Hopes" will be shown on PhanaVision ... fans will be encouraged to join-in.

During the first half-inning of Friday's game, there will be no announcer commentary as the game is televised by Comcast Network Philadelphia.

A billboard honoring Harry will be displayed on the outfield wall for the rest of the season. The Phillies uniforms will carry a patch over the heart with "HK" on it.

And, throughout the 2009 season, following every Phillies home run, Harry's legendary "Outta Here!" home run call will be played over the PA system as the Liberty Bell lights up.

LvZYtbZ.png

EDIT: Will beat me to it. I feel very lucky to have a ticket for Friday's game. Was planning to be part of a huge day-long group tailgate, but obviously, the mood will be a lot different than originally anticipated.

I know I won't make it through High Hopes without tearing up. I remember the first time I heard him sing it (after the 1993 East division clincher) and I've loved it ever since.

Harry Kalas was one of the greatest sports announcers of all-time, though I remember him best as the voice of NFL Films than as the Phillies announcer since I don't live in Philly. He wiil be greatly missed.

RIP to the following:

Nick Adenhart, Harry Kalas, Mark "The Bird" Fydrich, & now Merle Harmon

And then there are all the things being done on Friday.
A series of tributes has been announced by the Phillies to honor Harry Kalas, the team's legendary, Hall of Fame broadcaster who died suddenly on Monday.

The Phillies first home series since Kalas' passing will be this weekend against the San Diego Padres. Fans are being urged to arrive early for Friday night's game (7:05). The ceremonial first pitch will be thrown out by Harry's three sons, Todd, Brad and Kane.

Prior to the National Anthem, which will be sung by his son, Kane, there will be a moment of silence. All fans will receive an 8" x 10" color photograph of Harry Kalas.

Harry's signature will be displayed on the field during the seven-game homestand starting with Friday night.

The television booth in which Harry broadcast since Citizens Bank Park opened in 2004 will be named the Harry Kalas Broadcast Booth, "That ball's outta here!" A plaque will be hung to officially name the booth. The neighboring radio booth is already named Richie "Whitey" Asburn Broadcast Booth, "This game's easy, Harry."

Also for the seven game homestand, a black drape will appear in front of the Phillies radio and TV booths and the Phillies flag in Ashburn Alley will be hung at half-staff.

A video of Harry's career will be shown on PhanaVision.

During the seventh-inning stretch, a video of Harry singing "High Hopes" will be shown on PhanaVision ... fans will be encouraged to join-in.

During the first half-inning of Friday's game, there will be no announcer commentary as the game is televised by Comcast Network Philadelphia.

A billboard honoring Harry will be displayed on the outfield wall for the rest of the season. The Phillies uniforms will carry a patch over the heart with "HK" on it.

And, throughout the 2009 season, following every Phillies home run, Harry's legendary "Outta Here!" home run call will be played over the PA system as the Liberty Bell lights up.

The Phils look to be doing all the right things here. Very classy. I think it's awesome that they're gonna play "Outta heeerrrrrre" every time there's a homer. That tradition should last, well, forever because it's just how homers should be called. I never knew that Whitey had a booth named after him, although clearly, he should.

Too many things from last night to post here right now. One of the most emotional sports nights of my life. Met some 24 year old girl, and we ended up just talking about Harry and High Hopes. Was having so much fun just talking about HK, the thought didn't even cross my mind to "hit" on her.

Couldn't hear the "outta here" after Utley's home run. I'm watching tonight's game right now, and they must have tweaked it some, because it was loud and clear after Ibanez' homer.

The tribute today was absolutely perfect. I can't believe that an event of this magnitude was pulled off this well. I was watching the whole thing on TV, and started tearing up when Kane, Michael Jack, and Jamie Moyer spoke. It did look a little creepy that the team raised his coffin and loaded it in the hearse, but overall it was beautiful. Good to see the Governer, Richie Allen, John Kruk, Dutch Daulton, and Mitchie-Poo there too.

Too many things from last night to post here right now. One of the most emotional sports nights of my life. Met some 24 year old girl, and we ended up just talking about Harry and High Hopes. Was having so much fun just talking about HK, the thought didn't even cross my mind to "hit" on her.

Couldn't hear the "outta here" after Utley's home run. I'm watching tonight's game right now, and they must have tweaked it some, because it was loud and clear after Ibanez' homer.

The tribute today was absolutely perfect. I can't believe that an event of this magnitude was pulled off this well. I was watching the whole thing on TV, and started tearing up when Kane, Michael Jack, and Jamie Moyer spoke. It did look a little creepy that the team raised his coffin and loaded it in the hearse, but overall it was beautiful. Good to see the Governer, Richie Allen, John Kruk, Dutch Daulton, and Mitchie-Poo there too.

That sounds like a night you will never forget. I'm glad you got to be there.

Archived