Chicago Cubs Logos

rtrich11

The Cubs logo is classic, but I find it a bit flat when I really look at its target-like shape. I like the newest logos with the bear cub on them, but I thought maybe the young bear could be taken out of the mix to make it a little less soft. A bear claw is not the most original idea, I know, but it was the only way I could come up with so far to convey "bear" without conveying "cute".

The overall design is not "knock your socks off", but that is also deliberate. I wanted to do something simple that would not date itself right away. I did versions of this with a circles and different script fonts, but the results looked like beer labels to me.

Not sure about the hat yet for both home and away. I think I'll be looking for an appropriate "C" as well.

CubsRichards.jpg

Wow, I really wouldn't mind this look for the Cubs. The script looks good and the bear claw works really well along with it. The claw alone on the hat isn't really doing it for me, I think that you could use a C instead and that would be better. This is a solid concept. Can we expect any jerseys?

(post #300) ^_^

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Don't like this at all for the Cubs, but I'm sure you knew you'd get this reaction sooner or later. It's nicely rendered, I really like the script as a modern take on the look, and this would fit great with a "bear" themed team. But I love the look the Cubs have, and I really don't think looking too cute should be an issue. It makes me cringe when someone says a logo needs to look "more aggressive", does anyone really think a logo is going to intimidate the opposition? You're probably not going down that route with this, but still, I see nothing wrong with the "cub" logos they use already.

It makes me cringe when someone says a logo needs to look "more aggressive", does anyone really think a logo is going to intimidate the opposition?

Not to get off onto a tangent here, but I completely agree with the above. Overly aggressive logos don't do much for the teams they represent (like intimidating the opposition or inspiring spirited play from their own players). Really, they just make the team that employs them look minor-league and in some ways over-thought. I guess it's the real trick to come up with something 'timeless.' But no one ever says 'The Dodgers look needs to be more aggressive,' or the like. I feel like the Cubs are in the same situation. While their logos have been updated, they've never been completely re-thought for the sake of aggressiveness. These are the Cubs after all, not the Bears. They play a different sport.

As for the concept itself, as William said, it is very well rendered. I don't like the oval shape as opposed to the circle they use now. I also think that the tail looks out of place as it's curvy and somewhat 'flowing' compared to the relative rigidity of the characters in 'CUBS.' Also about the script, I feel that it looks like many other 'modern' wordmarks in sports today. Blocky, essentially sans-serif all-cap wordmarks are very in right now and I feel like they may go the way of purple and teal from the 90's within a decade or so. I don't think you'd be avoiding a quick dating by going with that wordmark.

Hmm. I guess for the most part, that's pretty negative C&C for which I apologize. On the other hand, I feel that not much here works for the Cubs. I hope that it's at least constructive and helps you further this?

It makes me cringe when someone says a logo needs to look "more aggressive", does anyone really think a logo is going to intimidate the opposition?

Definitely not going for aggressive. Just not cute or soft.

I know lots of Cubs fans who love the Circle Cubs logo, as it represents their favorite team, but stop to look at it and think it's not that interesting. The foraging Cub is pretty popular-and I like it, but to me it looks a little off seeing a baby animal on a grown ballplayer. Might just be me. This is the attempt at seeing if there was an alternative I could come up with.

Touching the Cubs is a third-rail proposition, like redoing the Boston Bruins' pinwheel B, but it's still worth trying.

I like this very much. If you said this was a new logo for a Japanese or Korean baseball team I would believe you.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

even though i hate the Scrubbies, this is good work. maybe add a bear alt?

ccslcsig2.pngccslcsig3.pngupdate.gifccslcsig1.pngccslcsig4.png

"That ball has a hit in it, so I want it to get back in the ball bag and goof around with the other balls in there. Maybe it'll learn some sense and come out as a pop-up next time," Mark "The Bird" Fidrych

This is my first post in a while, the flu bug hit me and knocked me out of action, but it's nice to be back. I love the script concept and it would look great on a uniform, but the paw print by itself is not doing much for me. Yes the Cubs do have a classic look, but to me it is aslo a little boring and could use a little oomph. I would like to see a set of uniforms with this script. Nice job.

roqymbou.pngfx32axau.png

This is my first post in a while, the flu bug hit me and knocked me out of action, but it's nice to be back. I love the script concept and it would look great on a uniform, but the paw print by itself is not doing much for me.

Welcome back ^_^ I agree with what you said about the paw print logo. It is good, but doesn't look that great for the Cubs I guess. Not bad. Good job!

Great concept, however not for the Cubbies. I don't think anything other than the "C" should ever go on their cap. I think it may work for a secondary logo and I love the wordmark, but it doesn't take over the "C".

saBS.png

Oh hell, I just put these together using the new logos. Having never done baseball unis, they may be missing something, or simple and classy. Don't know. The roads are not that radically different from their current look, only using a banner more consistent with my identity.

I also decided to go against the bear paw on the hats. That would be a good alt or BP cap.

Anyway, here they are.

CubsUnisRichards.jpg

Oh hell, I just put these together using the new logos. Having never done baseball unis, they may be missing something, or simple and classy. Don't know. The roads are not that radically different from their current look, only using a banner more consistent with my identity.

I also decided to go against the bear paw on the hats. That would be a good alt or BP cap.

Anyway, here they are.

CubsUnisRichards.jpg

I think they look great. I mean I'm somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to baseball unis, but I wouldn't be shaken up in the least if the Cubs unveiled those as their new uniforms tomorrow.

Archived