Rugby Union should be a major US summer sport

Rampart

That argument is :censored:ed because youre the only country that plays gridiron, and the only country that can afford to pay the top players in basketball and baseball. Now I think cricket should start up a domestic league in the US.............

eh, why not, it'd get the same attendance as Australia's domestic league :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I will say this: If a 2nd pro football league during the spring/summer couldn't work, then a rugby union league during the spring/summer sure as hell won't work.

How does anyone know that it would not work in this country? America has always had rugby solely as a "club" sport. Just legitimizing the college game and making it an NCAA sport would do wonders for rugby in America. Currently there are over 20,000 high school ruggers and nearly 70,000 people play in America. All the sport needs is a legitimate professional league and for the NCAA to declare it as a official sport and the game will take off in this country. The framework is there, it just needs to be given a chance.

That argument is :censored:ed because youre the only country that plays gridiron, and the only country that can afford to pay the top players in basketball and baseball. Now I think cricket should start up a domestic league in the US.............

eh, why not, it'd get the same attendance as Australia's domestic league :P

I know discrim is only kidding, but just to explain, virtually every domestic cricket competition the world over is subsidised by the governing body. (That is first class leagues) One day leagues can be profitable. It would be an interesting time to try it in the US with a bergeoning Asian population in the states. But I don't envisage how cricket could seriously compete against Baseball.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

How does anyone know that it would not work in this country? America has always had rugby solely as a "club" sport. Just legitimizing the college game and making it an NCAA sport would do wonders for rugby in America. Currently there are over 20,000 high school ruggers and nearly 70,000 people play in America. All the sport needs is a legitimate professional league and for the NCAA to declare it as a official sport and the game will take off in this country. The framework is there, it just needs to be given a chance.

The main reasons are cultural. Lets face it even with a major league, Hockey struggles in America, since it is not seen as an 'American' game. Part of the reason F1 has never taken off as a motor sport in the US is cultural. I am sure that there is space for Rugby to have a semi pro presence in the US. I just don't envisage the TV audiences and therefore TV contracts being big enough to sustain a major league in the US. And it is competing against the NFL for talent as well. And most young guys in the US, given the chance of an NFL career or a career as a part time rugby player, well they aren't ever going to choose Rugby.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

For perspective....this is out of a national population of over 300 million. In other words, .023% of the national population. I'm not quite sure that is the foundation needed for it to "take off" by any stretch of the imagination.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The most American sport is Lacrosse. Hands down.

The problem with Rugby is that there are so many different rules for how to play. There needs to be more organization and more recognizable players.

Nothing is better than watching a long run in rugby tho. It's smear the queer!

Archived