AHL to Austin, Abbotsford and Glens Falls

Brian in Boston

The American Hockey League has officially announced that...

* Austin, Texas will play host to an expansion franchise in time for the 2009-2010 season, provided the team's ownership group can secure the operating rights to a suspended franchise.

* Abbotsford, British Columbia will be the new home of the Calgary Flames' AHL affiliate as of 2009-2010. The team will relocate from the Quad Cities.

* Glens Falls, New York will serve as the new home of the relocated Philadelphia Phantoms beginning in 2009-2010. The move may be temporary, pending efforts to build an arena for the team in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well weve known about the Texas Stars for a while and I heard rumors that it was pretty much a done deal for the Phantoms to go to Glens Falls. Kind of shocked that they approved Abbotsford. The closest teams to them would be in Winnipeg, and San Antonio

Signature intentionally left blank

Over/under 2 years before the Abbotsford experiment explodes in a massive tide of red ink.

I guess they assured the New England teams they still wouldn't have to venture West of the Hudson River.

EDIT-Prediction. Abbotsford becomes Texas after this season. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm deeply shocked about the Flames' move to Abbotsford being approved by the AHL. Somehow, I have a feeling this Abbotsford stunt is going to be a disaster.

I have a lot of passion for the league. But if these people don't start making the right decisions, I could lose a lot of respect for the AHL.

I'm deeply shocked about the Flames' move to Abbotsford being approved by the AHL. Somehow, I have a feeling this Abbotsford stunt is going to be a disaster.

I have a lot of passion for the league. But if these people don't start making the right decisions, I could lose a lot of respect for the AHL.

Well...Calgary guaranteed travel costs for everyone. So it's their money pit. Something to bear in mind when the Free Agents leave. :P

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well weve known about the Texas Stars for a while and I heard rumors that it was pretty much a done deal for the Phantoms to go to Glens Falls. Kind of shocked that they approved Abbotsford. The closest teams to them would be in Winnipeg, and San Antonio

Winnipeg -> Abbotsford is 1,129 miles (per Google Earth). San Antonio -> Abbotsford is 1,845.

I'll take the under on this lasting two years. This is gonna be one-and-done, book it now.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Over/under 2 years before the Abbotsford experiment explodes in a massive tide of red ink.

I guess they assured the New England teams they still wouldn't have to venture West of the Hudson River.

Providence went to Manitoba this year. Abbotsford is an easy tack-on. (Not a fun trip but while you're in Winnipeg might as well head to B.C. and get the road trip done in one swing.)

I hope this doesn't mean the end of the Bruins in Chilliwack.

Providence went to Manitoba this year. Abbotsford is an easy tack-on. (Not a fun trip but while you're in Winnipeg might as well head to B.C. and get the road trip done in one swing.)

I hope this doesn't mean the end of the Bruins in Chilliwack.

Chilliwack would probably finish Abbotsford if the relative popularity of the CHL and AHL is any clue.

Today, we are all otaku.

Unless Abbostford sells out every game and there is a waiting list and mechandising is phenominal, this is not going to work...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Abbotsford will be a disaster, especially considering there are no direct flights from Winnipeg to Abby...I hope AHLers enjoy the Saskatoon and Red Deer airports.

If nothing else, maybe they'll use the old Atlanta Flames logos, so I can pick one of those jerseys up.

and finally, add me to the list of those hoping that Chilliwack kicks the crap out of them attendance-wise.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I think it's funny this became "official" today. Cedar Park has been building this for almost a year:

cpc.jpg

That may have been building...you just didn't have a franchise. You still need one for 2010.

EDIT for :censored: s and giggles.

"Playing in a Canadian market in front of sophisticated hockey fans that understand the game..."

Refresh my memory. When did the Flames last win a Stanley Cup? Hell...those sophisticated fans will likely recognize the crapfest Calgary's AAA team typically is for what it is and not give their money to support it.

Today, we are all otaku.

Well...Calgary guaranteed travel costs for everyone. So it's their money pit. Something to bear in mind when the Free Agents leave. :P

What does that mean :P

But as for the the Flames packing up to Abbotsford this is probably one of the main contributors to the team having such a poor Draft to NHL success rate with players not getting there feet wet in one place.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Has anyone else heard the rumor that they want to rebuild the Spectrum, but in a different area of Philadelphia, and then have the Phantoms move back?

:blink:

Huh?????

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Abbotsford will be a disaster, especially considering there are no direct flights from Winnipeg to Abby...I hope AHLers enjoy the Saskatoon and Red Deer airports.

If nothing else, maybe they'll use the old Atlanta Flames logos, so I can pick one of those jerseys up.

and finally, add me to the list of those hoping that Chilliwack kicks the crap out of them attendance-wise.

I think the Flames would be more concerned with flights from the Fraser Valley to Calgary and Air Canada has that taken care of already.

If they brought back the Atlanta jerseys, I'd buy one.

Chilliwack was doing marginally well without competition. We'll see how it goes when the new kid moves in. I am firmly behind the WHL team, though.

Excuse my ignorance, but where in New York is Glens Falls?

Up in the Adirondacks a few minutes south of Lake George

That's right, TOUGH GUY!!!

hacksaw-jim-duggan.jpg

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived