LumberJax pulling up camp

OMMF

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/storie...ml?ana=from_rss

The Portland LumberJax National Lacrosse League team will leave Portland before the 2010 season, which begins in January.

Where they?ll land remains to be seen.

The team is ?currently exploring options for the future,? said Brian Silcott, the team?s executive vice president, in a news release.

The team played its last game on May 2, losing in the first round of the league?s playoffs.

Damnit! I never did get one of their awesome plaid thirds. I'm looking now, but all I can seem to find is size small.

You could get 6 and sew 'em together.

Winnipeg's been trying for a LAX franchise for years. I bet they look at the MTSC as a potential new home.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Oh my. Must... resist... urge to call...

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well that sucks. I liked their logo. Might we see the end of the NLL, much like the AFL.

Doubtful. Most NLL clubs are still reasonably healthy, in no small part because their expenses are a tiny fraction of those of even AFL clubs. (NLL players only get paid five-figure salaries.) The only reason the Jax ran into trouble is because they lost a :censored: load of local sponsorships in Portland all at once.

Damnit! I never did get one of their awesome plaid thirds. I'm looking now, but all I can seem to find is size small.

You could get 6 and sew 'em together.

Winnipeg's been trying for a LAX franchise for years. I bet they look at the MTSC as a potential new home.

If the team ends up in Winnipeg it would be the Swarm's closest geographical neighbor by far (about a 1-hour plane flight, or 7-hour bus ride - about the same distance from the Twin Cities as Chicago, but in the opposite direction). This fact could give Winnipeg a hidden edge, because the NLL likes to have its teams grouped as closely together geographically as possible to minimize travel costs, and the Swarm haven't had a nearby rival since the Chicago Shamrox went under.

CCSLC signature.png

What about Vancouver? Haven't they been talking about getting back into the NLL for a couple seasons now?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

What about Vancouver? Haven't they been talking about getting back into the NLL for a couple seasons now?

Possibly, but I'm inclined to agree with Viper that keeping the clubs close together is a big deal, and they'll favor a midwestern site.

philly.png

Possibly, but I'm inclined to agree with Viper that keeping the clubs close together is a big deal, and they'll favor a midwestern site.

They were trying last year to work out a deal with Pacific Colosseum, but apparently were unsuccessful.

I'd think that bringing back the Ravens and adding Winnipeg would add a delightful Canadian division to the NLL, personally, but I'm silly like that.

I know one thing not helping Winnipeg is that both the Moose and the Bombers are looking at sole ownership of a lacrosse franchise, and I'm not really sure how that would play itself out, other than giving the team a blue/gold/green/black color scheme.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

My Jax plaid jersey showed up today. A little disappointed that the replicas are full sublimated, no logo patches, but it's still quite nice. Lax jersey sleeves are much shorter than I realized.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• 3 weeks later...

They were trying last year to work out a deal with Pacific Colosseum, but apparently were unsuccessful.

I'd think that bringing back the Ravens and adding Winnipeg would add a delightful Canadian division to the NLL, personally, but I'm silly like that.

I know one thing not helping Winnipeg is that both the Moose and the Bombers are looking at sole ownership of a lacrosse franchise, and I'm not really sure how that would play itself out, other than giving the team a blue/gold/green/black color scheme.

I do know that the Ravens couldn't afford what GM Place was asking for rent.

Hell, even WWE goes to the PC because they don't like the rent price at GM Place.

But You'd think that the Ravens could go to PC for a decent rate. I donno....

What I never really understood about the NLL is why they don't try to go to smaller venues like OHL/AHL/WHL/QMJHL (5,000ish seats) arenas. I mean, all logic would say that the rent would be much cheaper and they don't necessarily need the tickets sales of the bigger stadiums to be able to pay these guys.

I mean, if your drawing more, then cool, but if not why blow your brains out? Use the minor league stadiums.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Hell, even WWE goes to the PC because they don't like the rent price at GM Place.

Doesn't the WWE go to the Agridome next door? I guess the logic there is, sell it out at 4500 people instead of looking empty in a 15000-seater.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I do know that the Ravens couldn't afford what GM Place was asking for rent.

But You'd think that the Ravens could go to PC for a decent rate. I donno....

What I never really understood about the NLL is why they don't try to go to smaller venues like OHL/AHL/WHL/QMJHL (5,000ish seats) arenas. I mean, all logic would say that the rent would be much cheaper and they don't necessarily need the tickets sales of the bigger stadiums to be able to pay these guys.

I mean, if your drawing more, then cool, but if not why blow your brains out? Use the minor league stadiums.

Actually, the latest word is that's pretty much what the Jax, and now the San Jose Stealth are doing.

The Jax are reportedly very interested in setting up shop in Everett, WA, just north of Seattle, at the 8,300-seat Comcast Arena, home of the WHL's Silvertips.

Meanwhile the Stealth are looking into Stockton's 8,000-seat Arena for their new home.

CCSLC signature.png

Also saw a link where the Titans are trying to move to Newark:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05292009/sport...wark_171555.htm

That wouldn't be much of a move; the Titans played most of their home games this past season in Newark. Like the Giants and Jets, they're already NYINO.

Actually there was briefly talk of the club moving down to Orlando, but that's apparently gone by the boards. My understanding now is it's Newark or bust.

CCSLC signature.png

I don't really pay attention to the NLL that much, but follow the Bandits a bit. I know many of their games are sold out in a 18,000+ seat arena. Are they they only team in the NLL that gets that high attendance? Because it is odd to me that the league succeeds so well in Buffalo and fails in NYC, Portland, and San Jose.

saBS.png

I don't really pay attention to the NLL that much, but follow the Bandits a bit. I know many of their games are sold out in a 18,000+ seat arena. Are they they only team in the NLL that gets that high attendance? Because it is odd to me that the league succeeds so well in Buffalo and fails in NYC, Portland, and San Jose.

Buffalo, Calgary, Colorado, Minnesota, Philadelphia, and Toronto all averaged over 10,000 a game last season, and Edmonton had a game where they drew over 14K against the Wings. Philly has always drawn well (which is why it's the only original club from the league's days as the EPBLL to still exist). Toronto and Buffalo have constantly drawn well, too, and have been around for a long time (the fact that they've put forth winners every year helps). The big surprise, I think, is Colorado, but again, the fact that they've been in the top three in their division every year helps to their success.

My thing is this. The NLL has showed over and over again that it's not afraid to try a new market, and that's what I like about it. Of course, for every Toronto, Minnesota, Colorado, Buffalo, and Philadelphia, you have an Anaheim, Arizona, Chicago, Charlotte, Portland, Hamilton, Syracuse, Pittsburgh (twice), Washington (twice), Columbus (twice), and New Jersey (coming up on try #3). But I admire the fact that they're willing to try teams in untested markets.

philly.png

Buffalo, Calgary, Colorado, Minnesota, Philadelphia, and Toronto all averaged over 10,000 a game last season, and Edmonton had a game where they drew over 14K against the Wings. Philly has always drawn well (which is why it's the only original club from the league's days as the EPBLL to still exist). Toronto and Buffalo have constantly drawn well, too, and have been around for a long time (the fact that they've put forth winners every year helps). The big surprise, I think, is Colorado, but again, the fact that they've been in the top three in their division every year helps to their success.

My thing is this. The NLL has showed over and over again that it's not afraid to try a new market, and that's what I like about it. Of course, for every Toronto, Minnesota, Colorado, Buffalo, and Philadelphia, you have an Anaheim, Arizona, Chicago, Charlotte, Portland, Hamilton, Syracuse, Pittsburgh (twice), Washington (twice), Columbus (twice), and New Jersey (coming up on try #3). But I admire the fact that they're willing to try teams in untested markets.

Thank you.

So about 1/2 of the NLL teams are really succeeding. I know Rochester is pretty well known in the area too, but they play in Blue Cross Arena, I would be surprised if that arena is much over 10,000.

saBS.png

Archived