Pittsburgh Penguins new wordmark

Wheelhouse

Noticed it popping up here and there. At the bottom of one of the two large banners hanging from the skeleton of the Consol Energy Center, and it was also on the whiteout t-shirts from Game 5 of the Pitt/Philly series. Here is the old wordmark for comparison.

No official word yet, but it seems like it may be an update for when they move into their new digs in 2010.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose it does look a little like the FalcBronCardTexHawks, yes. Wordmarks aren't really a big deal in the NHL, but there are a few really good ones: Red Wings (Bookman Swash), Blackhawks (Berthold City), Maple Leafs (whatever that font is), for example. The Canadiens don't have a wordmark, I don't think. Odd.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If your wordmark is easily identified as just being your team name typed out in XYZ font, your wordmark isn't THAT good. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It doesn't really stand out but it fits their look. I like it. Simple, modern, aggressive. Sorta bland but whatev.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

Chris doesn't have it on his site, so that's leading me to believe my memory is off. Didn't the Pens have a wordmark that had sort of a curly P on it?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Chris doesn't have it on his site, so that's leading me to believe my memory is off. Didn't the Pens have a wordmark that had sort of a curly P on it?

I know what you're talking about, but I'm thinking that may have been a part of the x-line stuff.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I think you're right... maybe in the diagonal-PITTSBURGH era?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This here is more proof in my mind that the days of actual script logos are all but over.

This here isn't even a wordmark to me. It's TEXT. (And that little bit of beveling isn't doing it for me, either.)

Whatever happened to the days when wordmarks were actually logos rather than something simply typed out in some newfangled proprietary font?

To add to this, I actually like the (soon-to-be-former) wordmark. Now granted, it ain't exactly a "logo", either, but at least it has SOME type of design to it--oh, and to add to that, I believe that might be the only wordmark across the spectrum of major pro sports that's in all lowercase letters. That alone is enough reason for me to like the current penguins script.

But hey--I suppose this new era of script textmarks (that's what I'm calling them) makes it easier for the merchandising people to reproduce, and if that's the case, well then...them folks got to make they bread, right?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived