NFL Jersey Numbers.

shaydre1019

Man if Reebok did half the crap you guys think they do there is no way they'd still be in business...

Hester is still listed as a Punt Returner/Kick Returner and that could have something to do with it.

Plus the league does make exceptions and they might have for Hester.

Such as?

Would Keyshawn Johnson or Harold Carmichael been exceptions? If not, my bad.

Carmichael entered the league in 1971, two years before the number system was instituted, and I'm pretty sure he was grandfathered in.

Johnson was an exception. You're right there. But I can't think of another.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think it's just the 1st and 2nd string qbs that couldn't return - it's ANY qb who has taken a snap. Otherwise, who determines who is the 2nd string QB? A coach could say that the real 2nd string QB is really a backup punter who happens to take some snaps, or that the WR who lines up in wildcat is really the 2nd string QB. Too many ways around the rule.

The team determines who the first and second string quarterbacks are, and they have to specify it on the depth chart, similar to a manager filling out a lineup card before every MLB game that lists each player by position. That's why we have a depth chart, so a coach can't say that his backup punter or his wildcat WR is the 'actual' second string quarterback to get around substitution rules. If an emergency QB enters the game before the 4th quarter, the first and second string quarterbacks can no longer play, unless they are listed on the depth chart an another position, then they may enter the game at that position. Tom Tupa would be a good example of this, as he was often listed as the first string punter and the second string QB. Any player on the active 45 man roster, even if they have already taken a snap, can still do so without restriction.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't think it's just the 1st and 2nd string qbs that couldn't return - it's ANY qb who has taken a snap. Otherwise, who determines who is the 2nd string QB? A coach could say that the real 2nd string QB is really a backup punter who happens to take some snaps, or that the WR who lines up in wildcat is really the 2nd string QB. Too many ways around the rule.

The team determines who the first and second string quarterbacks are, and they have to specify it on the depth chart, similar to a manager filling out a lineup card before every MLB game that lists each player by position. That's why we have a depth chart, so a coach can't say that his backup punter or his wildcat WR is the 'actual' second string quarterback to get around substitution rules. If an emergency QB enters the game before the 4th quarter, the first and second string quarterbacks can no longer play, unless they are listed on the depth chart an another position, then they may enter the game at that position. Tom Tupa would be a good example of this, as he was often listed as the first string punter and the second string QB. Any player on the active 45 man roster, even if they have already taken a snap, can still do so without restriction.

Ah, I never realized that there was anything official about depth charts. Thanks, that does clear things up. Still a little bit confusing, but no longer to the point that I will worry about it!

Let's say that team is the Redskins and they have Campbell/Collins/Former Hawaii QB listed at #3. Campbell goes down in the first Quarter. Collins comes in to play qb. If he's ineffective, then the team could put Randel El in at qb and Collins could return. If the Hawaii qb played, then Campbell or Collins could not return at qb unless the Hawaii qb was injured, though Randel El could play freely or rotate into qb with the Hawaii guy every other play as could any other player on the active game day roster.

Why would Randel El be able to rotate in to QB? Because he is not "officially" listed as a QB? In this case, I would think that Campbell, Collins, and Randel El would be considered 1st, 2nd, and 3rd QBs, and that all three would be ineligible once the emergency QB (who in this case is QB #4) comes in.

I don't see why Randel El rotating in at QB would be any different than Campbell or Collins rotating in freely. Unless it has to do with the listed position.

As for Hester, doesn't his number just get grandfathered in like Rod Bernstine's or Todd Christensen's? That thing about pct of plays sounds completely absurd.

Anyone remember John Gerak on the Vikings? He was a guard #66 but injuries hit hard at TE, and he played some TE and switched to #46. But I think he went back and forth with the jersey numbers depending on which position he was mainly going to play that day.

Simply because he's a wide receiver and on the active roster. Even though teams might have plans if multiple injuries happen and so called "emergency qb's", such as mentioned with Grant from Seattle, and Hunter Smith with the Colts, the player listed as the 3rd qb and not on the active game is the one that limits the return of the previous two qb's if he plays and is not injured himself.

Archived