NFL Jersey Numbers.

shaydre1019

Alright guys so I've been thinking about this for a while and i don't know if it has been discussed before, but let's say a position player like Reggie Bush or Michael Crabtree wanted a single digit number, so they get drafted as a kicker or quarterback and then it just so happens they're talented receivers or running backs. So, my question is, how can the NFL determine this? I also remember a while back, i believe Warrick Dunn got injured and so (free) Michael Vick was going to play running back, so what if that ended up being a permanant fixture, what would happen?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright guys so I've been thinking about this for a while and i don't know if it has been discussed before, but let's say a position player like Reggie Bush or Michael Crabtree wanted a single digit number, so they get drafted as a kicker or quarterback and then it just so happens they're talented receivers or running backs. So, my question is, how can the NFL determine this? I also remember a while back, i believe Warrick Dunn got injured and so (free) Michael Vick was going to play running back, so what if that ended up being a permanant fixture, what would happen?
Well, you can't make them a QB, otherwise, the real backup QB can't come in until the 4th quarter.

LvZYtbZ.png

This should be in "Sports In General", but the league would not allow them to be drafted into another position which they are not going to play on a general basis. The NFL can determine this because...they can! They are private and they make the rules, period. In 2004, the NFL rules did change to allow WRs to use 10-19 even is a number in the 80's are available. A player can appeal to have a number different from the numbering system.

For your reply "Why is that?"

If Vick were to play running back, then your backup QB would start. In the event if the backup (now starting QB) was injured, Vick could not play QB until the 3rd QB, if they had one on the roster, would play and be unable to continue. So in essence, if Vick was to be the starting RB, he would probably be listed as the emergency QB and unable to immediately play.

Also, Troy Brown played as a WR and DB for the Patriots in 2004, but he did not change numbers. He was the 4th QB in the 2006 preseason as well, but remained with his original position number. If a QB to RB change was permanent, I will assume that the player would not change. Another case is Rod Bernstein who was drafted as a TE/H-Back for the Chargers and became a running back. He still wore #82 and when with the Broncos, he was 33 for a period, but I am unsure if he signed as 82 with them.

This should be in "Sports In General", but the league would not allow them to be drafted into another position which they are not going to play on a general basis. The NFL can determine this because...they can! They are private and they make the rules, period. In 2004, the NFL rules did change to allow WRs to use 10-19 even is a number in the 80's are available. A player can appeal to have a number different from the numbering system.

If Vick were to play running back, then your backup QB would start. In the event if the backup (now starting QB) was injured, Vick could not play QB until the 3rd QB, if they had one on the roster, would play and be unable to continue. So in essence, if Vick was to be the starting RB, he would probably be listed as the emergency QB and unable to immediately play.

I'm not sure this is the case, as RBs / WRs line up at QB all the time now. They could probably work around the whole "3rd qb" rules.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the NFL should just scrap the rule. I'm sure there are good reasons as to why they have restricitons on numbers, but it seems to be a petty thing to put a restriction on. College players become known for their numbers and it would be good for both the player as well as merchandise sales to let him keep the number if it is available.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

From what I know, the NFL doesn't make a player change numbers if he changes positions unless he moves from eligible to ineligible or vice versa. This is how Todd Christensen stayed No. 46 even after he was moved to TE and Chris Doleman was No. 56 even though he was a defensive end. But I think they have to play one season at their original position before they can keep the old number.

NFL rules are so specific that rookie centers have to wear 50-59. Of course, linemen get moved around a lot in their career, which is how a lot of centers have numbers in the 60s and some guards have numbers either in the 70s or 50s.

The move to let receivers wear 10-19 came about because there are now so many receivers on rosters that 10 numbers aren't enough for all of them, especially if teams have retired a couple of those numbers (Tight ends can wear 40's, but I think all the 80's have to be taken first).

Thanks for the answers, but let's say someone like potentially Pat White, I think he was drafted as a qb. So if he gets moved to WR permanently, will they make him change his number, and if so will they make him go through all the hassle that Chad OchoCinco, went through? I think he had to pay for the jerseys already made or something of that nature.

Wait, so the NFL actually tells a coach when and if he can play players in each game? How the ***k do they have the right to do that? Shouldn't it be up to the coach if he wants to put a WR or RB at QB? Also, is the rule only made for the QB position? Because a couple times when there is little to no time on the clock and the ball just changed hands, Randy Moss will just finish the quarter/half/game as a CB/Safety as opposed to running off the field and making another player run on.

Wait, so the NFL actually tells a coach when and if he can play players in each game? How the ***k do they have the right to do that? Shouldn't it be up to the coach if he wants to put a WR or RB at QB? Also, is the rule only made for the QB position? Because a couple times when there is little to no time on the clock and the ball just changed hands, Randy Moss will just finish the quarter/half/game as a CB/Safety as opposed to running off the field and making another player run on.

I don't think these rules apply to the backup, its only the 3rd QB that it applies. I think the backup QB (Vick in this case where he starts at RB) can enter the game no matter what, wherever they want. You'll occasionally the backup QB enter as a WR to throw defenses off so I don't believe there are any rules in regards to the Backup because he's on the roster where the 3rd QB is not technically on the roster.

Its only for the QB position. I don't know the exact rule, but its more or less in place to allow teams to have a 3rd QB but not take up a roster spot. The 3rd QB is never counted towards the roster number, HOWEVER, once he enters the game, the other quarterbacks (or maybe just the starter) can not re-enter the game. This is why many teams have a WR or someone as a 4th QB just in case all 3 QB's go down.

Thanks for the answers, but let's say someone like potentially Pat White, I think he was drafted as a qb. So if he gets moved to WR permanently, will they make him change his number, and if so will they make him go through all the hassle that Chad OchoCinco, went through? I think he had to pay for the jerseys already made or something of that nature.

If he was wearing a 1 to 9 number he would have to switch, if he was wearing a 10 to 19 number he wouldn't have to change since 10 to 19 is allowed for both QB's and WR's.

I think the point is this:

Who decides what someone's official position is?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm pretty sure that it's determined by the team, when they submit official rosters to the League.

No team has yet tested the whole "we'll falsify our roster so you get to wear your college number" yet, but I suspect were any team crass enough to do that the NFL front office would step in.

I'm pretty sure that it's determined by the team, when they submit official rosters to the League.

No team has yet tested the whole "we'll falsify our roster so you get to wear your college number" yet, but I suspect were any team crass enough to do that the NFL front office would step in.

The team will determine where you can play. Safeties move to linebacker and linebackers to linemen, but that does not mean that they player may keep their original number all the time.

From what I know, the NFL doesn't make a player change numbers if he changes positions unless he moves from eligible to ineligible or vice versa. This is how Todd Christensen stayed No. 46 even after he was moved to TE and Chris Doleman was No. 56 even though he was a defensive end. But I think they have to play one season at their original position before they can keep the old number.

NFL rules are so specific that rookie centers have to wear 50-59. Of course, linemen get moved around a lot in their career, which is how a lot of centers have numbers in the 60s and some guards have numbers either in the 70s or 50s.

The move to let receivers wear 10-19 came about because there are now so many receivers on rosters that 10 numbers aren't enough for all of them, especially if teams have retired a couple of those numbers (Tight ends can wear 40's, but I think all the 80's have to be taken first).

Not true. When the Jets drafted Nick Mangold in 2006 he instantly wore #74 at center.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Exactly. As mentioned before, Reggie Bush's people made some rumbling about him being listed as a QB or K so as to be able to wear #5, and the NFL addressed it before the Saints even tried to falsify the roster.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I believe I've heard that if a player wants to wear a number outside of the Set Up, they have to play X # of plays at that new postition. So, Reggie would have had to play 10 plays (for sake of argument) at kicker or QB in order to be eligible to wear #5.

Archived