Broncos Identity Switch 1996

Captain Poncho

True or not, the perception was that the orange uniforms were too 'weak' and caused them to lose.

I'm not superstitious like that, but athletes can be extremely superstitious. The orange-clad Buccs stunk from 1983-96, and then went to the playoffs as soon as they changed their uniforms.

I think it has a lot more to do with revitalizing a team than luck. Changing a look is a cheaper and easier way to make a team appear as though they are making the changes they need to win.

Obviously, the Bucs were training, trading and signing the guys they needed to make the playoffs while they were still sporting Bruce. But you can't sell behind the scenes action to the fans. Fans can't wear a team's maturing chemistry.

Obviously, the Bucs were training, trading and signing the guys they needed to make the playoffs while they were still sporting Bruce. But you can't sell behind the scenes action to the fans. Fans can't wear a team's maturing chemistry.

Wait wait wait... are you saying that it's the PLAYERS that decide who wins and loses as opposed to the uniforms? Did you just make this up?

On a less sarcastic note: Having been a Broncos fan since the Floyd Little days (It's more fun to say "The KEYWORTH era", but that makes people scratch their heads, and was a little too late in team history) I have to go with the thought that Elway would have managed to win a couple of championships in the old orange jerseys had they continued to wear them.

I still love the Broncos... and still hate the new unis.

BroncosSig.jpg

True or not, the perception was that the orange uniforms were too 'weak' and caused them to lose.

I'm not superstitious like that, but athletes can be extremely superstitious. The orange-clad Buccs stunk from 1983-96, and then went to the playoffs as soon as they changed their uniforms.

I think it has a lot more to do with revitalizing a team than luck. Changing a look is a cheaper and easier way to make a team appear as though they are making the changes they need to win.

You said all that and forgot one MAJOR piece of the equation: DRAFT. ^_^

Yes, they made some signings before that that definitely helped them, namely Hardy Nickerson in '93 (and how the hell Culverhouse's cheapskate arse got that man out of Pittsburgh into Tampa still makes me scratch my head to this day) the same year John Lynch was drafted, and then that draft of '95 that brought both Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks, followed by the signing of head coach Tony Dungy in '96.

So basically, Firefly got it right--the pieces were definitely falling into place, and I remember '96 as the year when a lightbulb went off my mind, saying "this team is going to make the playoffs next year". Maybe ol' man Glazer knew something was up as soon as he bought the team in '95. Little-known fact: the planning of a new identity, their current one, also got under way--along with plans for RayJ stadium--pretty much as soon as Glazer walked through the door.

(Sorry to veer off-topic...but we talking about my team here, where my [screen]name from here... ^_^ )

But yeah...about the whole "new uniforms changing a team's fortunes"...I've been trying for years to argue against that point, but the evidence is there to support it, chiefly the Broncos' B2B Lombardis in (calendar years) '97 & '98, the aforementioned Buccaneers, the almighty team of the decade Patriots, and, for a short time, the Rams--and they blew their deadline for a year, otherwise they would have been yet another example, and probably the best yet with how pathetic that team is. (But then, who am I to talk...you see who my team has been...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Wait wait wait... are you saying that it's the PLAYERS that decide who wins and loses as opposed to the uniforms? Did you just make this up?

Yes because the league decides who wins and loses. Who's a heel and who's a hero. Michael Vick, TO and Pacman? Great guys and greater actors. Peyton Manning? Total a-hole.

And I hear this year that they are going to have a steel cage game. Some holds barred!

Yes because the league decides who wins and loses. Who's a heel and who's a hero. Michael Vick, TO and Pacman? Great guys and greater actors. Peyton Manning? Total a-hole.

And I hear this year that they are going to have a steel cage game. Some holds barred!

The league decided who won and lost in 2005 (culminating in SBXL). I think Vince McMahon must have been interim commissioner or something.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The league decided who won and lost in 2005 (culminating in SBXL). I think Vince McMahon must have been interim commissioner or something.

Nah...ol' man Rooney was. ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived