Looks like LeBrons not going anywhere in 2010

LeBron James is a free agent after the 2009-2010 season.

Were he to be a free agent this summer, it would be a much bigger story/distraction.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LeBron James is a free agent after the 2009-2010 season.

Were he to be a free agent this summer, it would be a much bigger story/distraction.

Well, technically he has a player option that he could excerice for 2010-2011, but it's almost guaranteed nowadays he won't use it.

That option could sure throw a wrench into New York's plans couldn't it?

I know I'm going to get shot down on this idea.

Given all that money that Lebron makes on endorsement deals, why not renegotiate with the Cavs for a long-term, minimum salary contract, so that the Cavs can use the money they're paying Lebron to get him an effective supporting cast?

LvZYtbZ.png

Given all that money that Lebron makes on endorsement deals, why not renegotiate with the Cavs for a long-term, minimum salary contract, so that the Cavs can use the money they're paying Lebron to get him an effective supporting cast?

If only athletes were that unselfish.......

The union would probably throw him out for doing something like that. It would set a dangerous precedence.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The union would probably throw him out for doing something like that. It would set a dangerous precedence.
The NBA is not a closed shop. Hell, Lebron might be able to make more non-salary money if he wasn't in the union. Remember, for awhile, Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley were not in the union, and I don't think Shaq was either.

For the union issue, I don't think the Cavs can force him into a paycut, but he could approach the team.

LvZYtbZ.png

This is what Michael Jordan did, so there already is a precedent for it, and he's got 6 rings.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This is what Michael Jordan did, so there already is a precedent for it, and he's got 6 rings.

With the Wizards he was only making around 1M, but I think that was a little different scenario, since he was coming out of retirement, was affiliated with the team from management perspective, etc. With the Bulls, he was making >30M towards the end. I'm not sure there's precedence for a guy in his prime to sign for way below market value. The union would go nuts, because then all teams could "pressure" star players into following suit. Imagine the problems though if he does sign for some ridiculously low number, and the team doesn't improve. He won't be a happy man.

Of course, he could just leave the union - that's a valid option.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In the opening post, the article states that LeBron wants to become the first billionaire athlete. So yes, money will be a factor, and LeBron sure as hell won't be taking a minimum contract so his team can sign other players.

I don't think this Chinese business group will be as big a factor....isn't Yao Ming the basketball god in China? Methinks they would continue to heavily support their native son in the NBA over the guy that's owning 15% of the Cavs.....

A-Rod to the Red Sox, anyone?

A-Rod to the Red Sox, anyone?

I'm not sure I follow...

Just a thought -- does anyone think LeBron is really underexposed at this point? Couldn't he just move to New York in the off-season?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Just a thought -- does anyone think LeBron is really underexposed at this point? Couldn't he just move to New York in the off-season?

Well, underexposed compared to his teammates....

I saw, I came, I left.

In 2003, A-Rod agreed to re-structure his contract and take less money so the Rangers could deal him in Boston. The union stepped in and killed the deal.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/12/18/commentary...tsbiz/index.htm

To which the entire Red Sox fan base is eternally grateful - without the union killing the deal, they probably don't win the World Series in 2004.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Very possibly.

Regardless, we have an example of a union stepping in to prevent a player from downsizing his pay.

Wait, isn't the NBA a closed shop? How many current players are not in the union?

It is very possible that there are no current NBA players that are not in the union. That does not mean the NBA is a closed shop - for it to be a closed shop, it would mean that one had to be in the union to play, which we already know is not the case.

LvZYtbZ.png

Very possibly.

Regardless, we have an example of a union stepping in to prevent a player from downsizing his pay.

Wait, isn't the NBA a closed shop? How many current players are not in the union?

It is very possible that there are no current NBA players that are not in the union. That does not mean the NBA is a closed shop - for it to be a closed shop, it would mean that one had to be in the union to play, which we already know is not the case.

Wait a minute...

The whole salary cap thing is the result of the CBA between the owners and the union.

Wouldn't that imply that it is a closed shop (at least now?) If a player wasn't in the union, would he be exempt from the salary cap rules and other collectively bargained nuances of how the league operates?

Very possibly.

Wait a minute...

The whole salary cap thing is the result of the CBA between the owners and the union.

Wouldn't that imply that it is a closed shop (at least now?) If a player wasn't in the union, would he be exempt from the salary cap rules and other collectively bargained nuances of how the league operates?

The union and the owners set the collective bargaining agreement up, yes. But here's the interesting thing - federal law requires the union to represent all players, even those not a member of the union. (Non-union members, BTW, have to pay a fee similiar to union dues if they're not a member of the union.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived