Lake County Fielders

Burmy

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the full release from the Fielders, with a couple of odd details:

Customers who purchased single game tickets to a June home game in Zion are able to use that ticket to attend that corresponding game date at Carthage College. They will also receive a voucher for any two additional 2010 Fielders games, along with a voucher for any two additional 2011 Fielders games.

So, single-game tickets just got a 1-for-5 split (assuming there will be a 2011 season for the Fielders, or the NL for that matter, becuase holy cow, look at this:)

The Fielders will also give season ticketholders a free 2010 Northern League Season Pass that will admit them to any Northern League game at any location throughout the League free of charge for the 2010 season.

Buy a season ticket for the Fielders, get carte blanche for the rest of the league. I'm sure every schmo who shelled out actual money for his or her chosen team will be thrilled about this. Who does Ehrenreich have naked pictures of to swing a "favorite child" deal like this with the league? Or will he be paying fellow owners on a per-ticket basis with his patented stack of I.O.U.s?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

In practice, it'll mean you can see a Flyers game in general admission. Nobody in Zion is using a league pass to see every game in Winnipeg. And besides, they'll probably make it prohibitively tedious to use it anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Or "forget" to send it to you.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's a stadium in name only. Looks like about ten rows of seats (or maybe just bleachers) behind home plate. No permanent seating down the lines or in the outfield. There appears to be a hedgerow or some trees or something beyond the outfield that would preclude any seating out there.

I've been to Carthage a few times for honor band stuff. Very nice campus on the lake, though I question its ability to draw ticketholders from south of about Waukegan or so, who are probably fairly disgruntled at this stage of the game.

EDIT: pictures up on the NLfan board. Looks like a nice facility but no bathrooms and no concessions make people something something.

EDIT: pictures up on the NLfan board. Looks like a nice facility but no bathrooms and no concessions make people something something.

Pee on the outfield hedgerow after drinking the Schlitz and eating the Sun Chips they brought along with them?

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 1 year later...

You know, it's been a while since we've checked in with our old pals in Zion. Let's see how things are going these days, shall we?

- As was expected after the Northern League went kablooey, the remnants of the Northern, United, and Golden Leagues (that couldn't find a home in a respectable circuit) cobbled together the North American League, which was initially announced as being an 18-team superleague, and ended up fielding 10 clubs.

- Lake County ended up being the only NoL team to jump to the NAL, after Rockford begged its way back into the FL, Joliet folded and got replaced by the FL Slammers, and Schaumburg, Rich Ehrenreich's other team, got evicted because it still owes the city something like a million bucks.

- The Fielders, much like last year, gradually morphed promises of a new stadium for opening day into some sort of work-in-progress that would "pop up" over the course of the season.

- The Fielders began Spring Training in Yuma, AZ, sharing facilities with the league-owned Scorpions, since they had no suitable facilities at home.

- The team opened its season on a 32-game road trip to allow time for stadium construction, including a tour of its divisional rivals: Maui, Chico (CA), Calgary, and Edmonton. (The other division consists of 4 Texas teams and Yuma.)

- Lake County had its first home game July 3rd, and that's when things really got interesting.

- The new stadium appears to be two sets of pre-fab bleachers for a high school football field, one set down each baseline. There are no seats behind home plate. Some seats are obstructed by the existing light poles.

- Tickets to see the Fielders are $3 - a price determined by taking the average price of a gallon of gas and rounding down to the nearest dollar.

- Though a highly debatable number of fans got to see free fireworks on Sunday and Monday, the real fireworks would come on Wednesday, when the visiting Yuma Scorpions refused to take the field. The team was apparently still waiting for payment from the Fielders for their Spring Training arrangement, and refused to play until they got paid. The game was delayed a half-hour until some sort of agreement was reached.

- On Saturday, Fielders Manager Tim Johnson quit before gametime, and several players left the team along with him. All reportedly had yet to be paid during the season, watching check upon check from the team bounce. Coach Pete LaCock (hey, Peter Marshall's kid!) stuck around long enough to fill out a lineup card of mostly pitchers forced into position roles, and high-tailed it out, sick of the whole mess.

- Since those last two incidents, the details of how many people aren't getting paid, and how long it's been going on, are really creeping out of the woodwork. Since the local press has never had an interest in reporting what we've all long known about this owner and this organization, people have decided to start speaking the truth on their own, and undercutting the team shill on the Waukegan News-Sun's website. It all appears to be collapsing very, very quickly.

- The Fielders' next home game is Tuesday at 7:05 against the Chico Outlaws. Good seats are still available.

If they are that broke, how do they even still have the shill?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Holy crap. This went bad.

I sat down with Ehrenreich two years ago when I was still doing marketing work in Lake County. Seemed like a nice and earnest guy, but after all, they're called con men because they gain your confidence.

I wonder how much money the team owes to players, vendors, office employees, and the like. The Ehrenreich trick in Schaumburg, having a friend who worked there one summer, was

1) never to pay anyone for anything

2) blame the failure to pay on A Contracted Out-Of-State Payroll Company, and then

3) make sure that nobody could take him to court. He is an attorney, and besides, he only does business with people who don't have the muscle or the wherewithal to duke it out in the courts: children, recent college grads, mom-and-pop businesses, and the desperate and hungry that make up the ranks of indy baseball.

He's probably run this exact scheme twice. I hope they get him.

If they are that broke, how do they even still have the shill?

My understanding, which came courtesy of someone I know from Libertyville, is that the News-Sun would be more than willing to always look on the bright side when it came to the Fielders, because of the mere potential of newspaper revenue developing from the team's existence. He told me this back around February of '10, back when we were only ankle-deep in the muck with this thing, and it's certainly played out that way since.

Also, a female member of the Fielders' front office is now letting it be known that she was apparently spoken of in fairly lewd terms around the office by Ehrenreich and his brosephs. So he's apparently not just a financial dirtbag.

This was a fun thread to go back and read from page one. I recommend it to everyone!

I'm going to go on facebook and see if that girl I went to school with has any dirt.

You know, it's been a while since we've checked in with our old pals in Zion. Let's see how things are going these days, shall we?

- As was expected after the Northern League went kablooey, the remnants of the Northern, United, and Golden Leagues (that couldn't find a home in a respectable circuit) cobbled together the North American League, which was initially announced as being an 18-team superleague, and ended up fielding 10 clubs.

- Lake County ended up being the only NoL team to jump to the NAL, after Rockford begged its way back into the FL, Joliet folded and got replaced by the FL Slammers, and Schaumburg, Rich Ehrenreich's other team, got evicted because it still owes the city something like a million bucks.

- The Fielders, much like last year, gradually morphed promises of a new stadium for opening day into some sort of work-in-progress that would "pop up" over the course of the season.

- The Fielders began Spring Training in Yuma, AZ, sharing facilities with the league-owned Scorpions, since they had no suitable facilities at home.

- The team opened its season on a 32-game road trip to allow time for stadium construction, including a tour of its divisional rivals: Maui, Chico (CA), Calgary, and Edmonton. (The other division consists of 4 Texas teams and Yuma.)

- Lake County had its first home game July 3rd, and that's when things really got interesting.

- The new stadium appears to be two sets of pre-fab bleachers for a high school football field, one set down each baseline. There are no seats behind home plate. Some seats are obstructed by the existing light poles.

- Tickets to see the Fielders are $3 - a price determined by taking the average price of a gallon of gas and rounding down to the nearest dollar.

- Though a highly debatable number of fans got to see free fireworks on Sunday and Monday, the real fireworks would come on Wednesday, when the visiting Yuma Scorpions refused to take the field. The team was apparently still waiting for payment from the Fielders for their Spring Training arrangement, and refused to play until they got paid. The game was delayed a half-hour until some sort of agreement was reached.

- On Saturday, Fielders Manager Tim Johnson quit before gametime, and several players left the team along with him. All reportedly had yet to be paid during the season, watching check upon check from the team bounce. Coach Pete LaCock (hey, Peter Marshall's kid!) stuck around long enough to fill out a lineup card of mostly pitchers forced into position roles, and high-tailed it out, sick of the whole mess.

- Since those last two incidents, the details of how many people aren't getting paid, and how long it's been going on, are really creeping out of the woodwork. Since the local press has never had an interest in reporting what we've all long known about this owner and this organization, people have decided to start speaking the truth on their own, and undercutting the team shill on the Waukegan News-Sun's website. It all appears to be collapsing very, very quickly.

- The Fielders' next home game is Tuesday at 7:05 against the Chico Outlaws. Good seats are still available.

So can I expect a Fielders cap along with a Slammers one in the mail sometime soon?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I'll see what I can do. Couldn't make it to Joliet over my vacation, but I've got a week of the 5-to-noon shift next week, so I'll let you know what I can get my grubby hands on.

So can I expect a Fielders cap along with a Slammers one in the mail sometime soon?

Sun-Times article on Fielders

Thanks for the update. I googled the Fielders and found some more nuggets of fun. Apparently Jose Canseco played a bunch of pitchers in the field in the game mentioned above to even things out, naming himself starting pitcher and going 6 innings.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Ehrenreich fired his entire first-place team. Wow. There had been a comment on the Fielders' Facebook page that the last straw for Tim Johnson came when management told him (in the context of no one getting paid, I'd imagine) that his entire roster could be replaced by high school players. Seems like Richie and the boys are about ready to test that theory. They have a game tonight and no players.

And someone at the News-Sun has apparently realized that money from the Fielders is never coming their way, since no one else is getting paid out of this. The shill turned this morning.

The players weren’t happy, and it wasn’t going to be good to make them stay. They can cash their checks tomorrow once the Bank of Waukegan opens.

boioioioinnnnnng!

Wow! I just realized that I know someone in the Fielders' front-office. He's from my hometown. I went to high school with both him and his sister. He's a great guy who has made the rounds of independent minor-league baseball... and has had to work with a couple of the industry's more challenging owners in the process.

What a mess.

Archived