Lake County Fielders

Burmy

So wait, now that these DON'T count, they're charging MORE?!?!?!

Makes as much sense as anything else at this point. Lake County broke their 15-game losing streak tonight, by the way. Only took them three tries against a hand-picked group of semi-pro patsies to finally get over the hump. Wonder if 100 people showed up.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see what happens with the NAL next season. They do have some fairly good teams in the league with decent management but also made some poor choices with other teams and management organizations. Having the worst of the bunch, Ehrenriech, out of the league is going to be a good thing in the long run. It's unfortunate for the players and the fans of baseball in Zion and Hawaii, those are the people I feel the most for.

Well it sounds like the Texas teams are going to break off and go back to being their own league as they were last season (which makes sense since they played very few if any games against the rest of the league. As for the rest of the league, it looks like there are going to be a few survivors and a few new teams out west that could in effect reconstitute the old GBL.

• 1 month later...

The Fielders are trying to get the city of Zion to build them a new stadium.

KENOSHA ? The possibility of the Lake County Fielders staying in Zion, Ill., is still in play, but team officials believe they will hit the road if an agreement with the city is not worked out soon.

The team, which started playing in Zion last year, finished a tumultuous baseball season last month.

The team started its season with a 32-game road trip, including a trip to Hawaii, while waiting for a permanent stadium to be built in Zion.

Upon its return, the team continued to play in the small Zion stadium as the previous year.

Over the course of the season, financial difficulties became public, and the roster and coaching staff were overhauled. The North American Baseball League threatened to drop the team for not making a second trip to Hawaii in August.

The team ended its season in mid-September by playing 17 games against the Kenosha Kings.

?At the very least, we can say that we provided entertainment,? Bernie DiMeo, a spokesman for the Fielders, said of the series.

DiMeo said the team drew about 1,100 fans this year, down from about 3,500 last year.

DiMeo said the team?s management, headed by lead investor Rich Ehrenreich, is committed to fielding a team next year. But staying in Zion is dependent on the city agreeing to build a new stadium.

?The window is rapidly closing on whether they will be able to stay in Lake County or not,? DiMeo said. ?If there is a permanent stadium, they will be able to play there.?

Team owes money

Zion officials say the city is owed $185,000 in back pay from the Fielders for use of the stadium at Highway 173 and Green Bay Road.

Fielders officials contend that a $7.5 million bond deal approved by the city in March to build a permanent stadium and $1.3 million from the state for assistance in that project have gone unused by the city.

They further maintain that without a permanent stadium the team cannot make the profits it was expecting.

?It?s a shame that the city let us down on their end of the deal,? DiMeo said. ?There were tremendous upsides and possibilities. People were expecting more than a temporary stadium, and we were promoting our stadium as more than that.?

DiMeo said team officials are considering a lawsuit against the city if a deal cannot be worked out for a permanent stadium.

?We have contracts that said they would build a stadium, and they are not responding to requests for meetings,? DiMeo said. ?We?re getting the impression that they do not want to be bothered.?

The city has put the updated back payments owed at $340,000, and officials have indicated they want the Fielders to leave Zion, according to a Chicago Tribune story. Calls to Zion Mayor Lane Harrison were not returned.

Carthage not paid

DiMeo said he believed most of the team?s debtors have been paid. Carthage College, which hosted 15 games in 2010, has not.

Bob Bonn, Carthage athletic director, said the school is owed $7,500. Bonn said many inquiries about the debt have been sent to the team without a response.

?We?re still hopeful we?ll get payments at some point,? Bonn said. ?But we won?t be hosting any Fielders games anytime soon.?

DiMeo said the team?s status with the North American Baseball League is still up in the air as well. But no matter where and what league, DiMeo said the team expects to take the field again in 2012.

?There are plenty of options for the Fielders,? DiMeo said.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.suntimes....eason-ever.html

In which everyone gets the boomstick.

There's some stuff I had for a while that I didn't want to share.

Holy hell. This article should be linked to the dictionary definition of a cluster:censored:.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

When you start banging the French Canadian business owner... you've brought it to a new level.

I hope this story never ends. Better than "Days of our Lives"

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

“Which of us is the potential threat to the city, your greed for profit or my lack of desire to be judicious with public funds?” Rogers wrote to Delisle on February 10, 2007.

JESUS CHRIST

This, to me, is worse than the crappy love poems.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Mon dieu.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Costner's not available.

Archived