Lake County Fielders

Burmy

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of former Northern League Indy teams, when did Pensacola pack up? This leaves the AmerAss with 13 teams, and I'm not certain that there are a lot of gulf towns with the desire or wherewithal to replace them.

Never mind, they're the poor bastards that ended up in Amarillo.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Speaking of former Northern League Indy teams, when did Pensacola pack up? This leaves the AmerAss with 13 teams, and I'm not certain that there are a lot of gulf towns with the desire or wherewithal to replace them.

Pensacola now has a AA team in the Southern League.

Looks like the league has a new Canadian team up in Fort McMurray for the 2013 season (though they may join early as a road team) in addition to the San Rafael Pacifics who are joining in 2012. So they've replaced two of the lost teams like Lake County and Chico.

I can't imagine Maui being profitable in any way, shape or form. Even with Alaska Air running deals out of LAX or Bellingham WA, it costs a lot of money to send 30 people stateside (or vice versa).

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I can't imagine Maui being profitable in any way, shape or form. Even with Alaska Air running deals out of LAX or Bellingham WA, it costs a lot of money to send 30 people stateside (or vice versa).

Yeah that's why the original plans Kaval drew up when they formed Maui was to have more Hawaiian teams join (one from every island). Obviously that's not happening so you may be right.

• 3 weeks later...

Well color me surprised. The NAL isn't dead yet. Looks like they've managed to replace every team they lost and then some. The Fullerton Flyers are going to be rejoining the league back at Goodwin Stadium next season. Also the Maui team is still alive and planning on playing as is the Chico Outlaws franchise (they just re-signed their lease for the stadium next season). Add to them the new San Rafael team, the possible Henderson team, and the possible revival of the Tucson Toros and they actually may have a larger slate of teams next year than they did this year. With the potential addition of two more in 2013 in Omaha and Fort McMurray (unless Fort McMurray ups their timetable and joins this year).

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/554959/Outcalt-says-Na-Koa-likely-to-be-among-NAL-s-10-12-teams.html?nav=11

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/201111264351/independent-baseball/features/fullerton-flyers-returning-in-2012

In other news the Lake County Fielders filed their long awaited lawsuit over their whole stadium debacle suing the city of Zion for not building them a ballpark and separately suing the guys who promised to buy their old franchise the Schaumburg Flyers.

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/201111264350/independent-baseball/news/ehrenreich-suing-zion-potential-schaumburg-buyers

• 4 months later...
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This field was already there, correct?

Doesn't seem like a bad facility for high school games (aside from the puddling, which seems worse because of the concert).

Reminds me of a field where I've umpired before...it was the first home of the Single-A Lowell Spinners, before their new stadium was built downtown.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Nope, it was an empty lot of prairie grass before the Fielders came to town.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Great write-up.

I went back and read this again. Goldmine-worthy thread, once we get some real closure on the team. Fun quotes:

Never built it. Ain't comin'.

Nailed it.

Worst case scenario, no park. Best case, they're gonna rush this thing through and it's gonna be a big slapdash house of cards that impresses people on only the most superficial levels

Yeah pretty much.

And I assume the backup plan involves stealing a set of bleachers from a local high school and plopping them at a farm in DeKalb County.

Considering they probably never paid to rent the bleachers, because they never pay for anything, this pretty much happened.

Words going to get out that your daughter's softball league has a lighted facility and the ownership of the Lake County expansion franchise is going to contact them about having said league's All-Star team play as the Fielders this season.
This pretty much happened too!
My fear here is that people in Waukegan and Gurnee knew something was up, and Zion, being all too eager to repair its image as a downtrodden town with oppressive liquor laws, got roped into a project they weren't ready for, dazzled by visions of movie star owners and concerts and of course "putting the town on the map." Now they're running the risk of losing some serious money on this project, or at least taking a big public relations hit. Tough stuff.

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE ANYONE YOU KNOW IN ARIZONA

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived