Lake County Fielders

Burmy

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in the Chicago suburbs for business this summer. I would have loved to check this trainwreck out in person, but they were on the road.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Shame they won't exist next year, at least from the pure trainwreck entertainment perspective. From the perspective of making the NAL work it's for the best that they've been kicked out and will soon be no more.

I just assume that the league is near death anyway. It's got a team in Hawaii, Lake County, three formerly dead Golden League teams coming in, another team daring to go head-to-head with the Omaha AAA team. It's like it has a death wish.

Eventually someone is going to come up with the idea of having another Canadian league, and try teams in Victoria, Alberta, Saskatoon, Regina, Brandon, and it'll fail miserably, meaning Calgary and Edmonton need to find another new league to play their wares in.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Ruh-roh!

OlL4r.png

PRIMARILY IN WESTERN CANADA. This league is :censored:ed.

edit: at least three team websites "can not be found." League dead.

Well, they are putting in an expansion (possible roadie) team based out of (where in the :censored: is) Fort McMurray, AB.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Ruh-roh!

OlL4r.png

Blame Google. The rest of that sentence from the front page of the league's site is "and much of the United States, the league brings affordable family entertainment to over 2M fans each season."

Regardless, I agree, the league is boned. If the Texas teams break away, as was mentioned, that leaves Edmonton, Yuma, and four mythical on hiatus / expansion teams for next season. Maybe they patch together enough junk to start one more season, but I doubt it will happen. I'm sure some other questionable league will step in to continue the strong post-PCL tradition of awful baseball here in Edmonton though.

Also, even for low level independent minor league sports the Fort McMurray idea is unfathomably stupid.

Ruh-roh!

OlL4r.png

Blame Google. The rest of that sentence from the front page of the league's site is "and much of the United States, the league brings affordable family entertainment to over 2M fans each season."

Regardless, I agree, the league is boned. If the Texas teams break away, as was mentioned, that leaves Edmonton, Yuma, and four mythical on hiatus / expansion teams for next season. Maybe they patch together enough junk to start one more season, but I doubt it will happen. I'm sure some other questionable league will step in to continue the strong post-PCL tradition of awful baseball here in Edmonton though.

Also, even for low level independent minor league sports the Fort McMurray idea is unfathomably stupid.

Never figured a team managed by Jose Canseco would be one of the few teams to be successful but the people in Yuma really do seem to love their baseball enough to keep the team alive. Maybe it's being denied their long time Spring Training games or something.

RIP NABL. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

They're not dead yet. They have a new California team that's not vaporware coming in San Rafael. And they still have Yuma, Maui, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, and possibly the Texas squads. And that assumes none of the rumored SoCal teams comes back.

RIP NABL. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Never has a fly by night organization been so mourned.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Fort McMurray is like 100 miles NORTH of Edmonton, has a population of less than 80k, and has no place to play. I wouldn't call them a team yet.

Fort McMurray is basically a boomtown/company town for the oilsands, right? I'm surprised they haven't picked up a struggling Dub team yet.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Fort McMurray is like 100 miles NORTH of Edmonton, has a population of less than 80k, and has no place to play. I wouldn't call them a team yet.

Fort McMurray is basically a boomtown/company town for the oilsands, right? I'm surprised they haven't picked up a struggling Dub team yet.

Yep, that's the polite way to describe Fort McMurray. It's way too remote for a WHL team (450 km away from the closest team in Edmonton) - I'm surprised they even have an AJHL team given the travel involved, especially with how dangerous the highway is. This baseball idea is completely insane.

Archived