MLB All Star Game 2009 Thread

patsox

This is kind of an interesting subject.

Many people criticize the "Most Valuable Player" award, because they feel it should be the "Most Outstanding Player' award instead. They don't like it's literal definition.

I'm getting the sense here that there are also two camps with the ASG.

There's the camp that it's the "All STAR Game", and should feature the STARS. Being a star doesn't imply that you have the best numbers (or are even not suspended.) There are also a lot who feel it should be the "All Awesome First Half Performance Game", in which case, some name players wouldn't make it, but it would be a reward for guys who really bust it in April, May, and June.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a mix myself.

I think if you dominate the first half of the season, you should be there. At the same time, some guys have proven throughout their career their skills and "Star" status, and if they're having a pretty good season, they should be there, too. Anybody having an awful first half, should not be there (though I'll make an exception for definite HOFers on their retirement tour).

The way the system is now, you often see the "Star" status players start because of the fan voting, and the lesser known guys that are having great seasons get picked by the managers. Unfortunately, sometimes those "Star" players the fans pick really don't deserve it.

It depends. If it "counts" the managers or coaches should pick all players to create the best team possible for each league. If you pitched the night before, guess what, you're not even going to be in the city. If Chucky Smith (Fake player obviosly) is lighting it up for the week prior and the manager feels strongly enough about it and wants him on the team...chucky pack your bags...

If its an exhibition, the fans should pick whoever they want and it shouldn't matter if they played 1 game or 162. If the fans want Barry Bonds he should play.

But since its an mock exhibition which "counts" we get this crap that we've had.

I love the all-star game but it really should go back to being an exhibition where Cal Ripken Jr. will move over to shortstop one last time, or Ken Griffey Jr. roams Center one final season, and Barry Bonds can run out and mock tackle Torri Hunter. That's when the All Star game is at its best. When the stars are out having fun and actually looking like they enjoy the game of baseball.

There's the camp that it's the "All STAR Game", and should feature the STARS. Being a star doesn't imply that you have the best numbers (or are even not suspended.) There are also a lot who feel it should be the "All Awesome First Half Performance Game", in which case, some name players wouldn't make it, but it would be a reward for guys who really bust it in April, May, and June.

This is essentially my argument, but I had trouble putting it into words.

It depends. If it "counts" the managers or coaches should pick all players to create the best team possible for each league. If you pitched the night before, guess what, you're not even going to be in the city. If Chucky Smith (Fake player obviosly) is lighting it up for the week prior and the manager feels strongly enough about it and wants him on the team...chucky pack your bags...

If its an exhibition, the fans should pick whoever they want and it shouldn't matter if they played 1 game or 162. If the fans want Barry Bonds he should play.

But since its an mock exhibition which "counts" we get this crap that we've had.

I love the all-star game but it really should go back to being an exhibition where Cal Ripken Jr. will move over to shortstop one last time, or Ken Griffey Jr. roams Center one final season, and Barry Bonds can run out and mock tackle Torri Hunter. That's when the All Star game is at its best. When the stars are out having fun and actually looking like they enjoy the game of baseball.

That's the biggest problem with the game right now. It's been made important, but is still set up like an exhibition. When they made the game "count" they should have taken away the fan vote and the rule that there must be one representative from each team. Also the managers should stop trying to get everyone into the game. It just makes a mess and luck determines the outcome more so than skill.

Y'know, it would help if we didn't see schlubs like Ibanez, Utley, or Rollins leading the balloting. I'm sorry, but give other players a chance, they've all been to enough All-Star Games already!

Ibanez has never been an All-Star. Utley's been to three. So has Rollins.

If you really want to see new blood in the ASG this year, vote for someone other than Derek Jeter for AL shortstop. He's been to nine.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Y'know, it would help if we didn't see schlubs like Ibanez, Utley, or Rollins leading the balloting. I'm sorry, but give other players a chance, they've all been to enough All-Star Games already!
Ibanez has never been an All-Star. Utley's been to three. So has Rollins.

If you really want to see new blood in the ASG this year, vote for someone other than Derek Jeter for AL shortstop. He's been to nine.

But Ibanez doesn't deserve it, not this year. Phils fans are stuffing the ballot box - how else do you explain guys sitting at 2nd, 4th, 5th, and then 6th/8th? They're not all that good!

Frankly, Manny Ramirez deserves it over any of those three.

LvZYtbZ.png

And the Phillies fans continue to stuff the ballot box to get stiffs like Utley and Ibanez into the game - this is proof positive that fans shouldn't vote for the All-Star Game. If the players voted, no way those two get in.

LvZYtbZ.png

You celebrated these same schlubs winning the world series last year, did you not?

I don't understand you. Every year you go on this campaign banging the drum that NO Phillie belongs in the ASG (you never give any concrete evidence though), but you're a fan of the team. So you like the team, but you hate all the players? You're a Notre Dame fan, but you rail how they don't belong in a bowl game unless they go undefeated. I don't get this one bit. How come you aren't like this with Richfield High sports?

At least you're not a homer, but I've come to expect blind loyalty from the overwhelming number of fans. This stuff that you do, I can't even comprehend how it makes sense in your head.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

You celebrated these same schlubs winning the world series last year, did you not?

I don't understand you. Every year you go on this campaign banging the drum that NO Phillie belongs in the ASG (you never give any concrete evidence though), but you're a fan of the team. So you like the team, but you hate all the players? You're a Notre Dame fan, but you rail how they don't belong in a bowl game unless they go undefeated. I don't get this one bit. How come you aren't like this with Richfield High sports?

At least you're not a homer, but I've come to expect blind loyalty from the overwhelming number of fans. This stuff that you do, I can't even comprehend how it makes since in your head.

OK.

Part 1 involves the All-Star Game. No Phillies deserve to play in the ASG because I do not want to see them get injured IN the All-Star Game. If they're not there, they can't be hurt. Simple.

Part 2, the Notre Dame bit, involves that Notre Dame's standards have dropped - it used to be that the team would elect not to go to bowl games if the team didn't feel they deserved it. This year, they were, what, 6-6? And you want to reward them for that with a trip to Hawaii? They need to jack their standards up bigtime.

LvZYtbZ.png

Part 1 involves the All-Star Game. No Phillies deserve to play in the ASG because I do not want to see them get injured IN the All-Star Game. If they're not there, they can't be hurt. Simple.

They can be hurt (or perhaps killed God forbid) no matter where they are.

I saw, I came, I left.

He's got a point. With as much money as players make these days, it's absolutely stupid to ask them to go out and dive, cut, swing, and do anything that adds unnecessary risk to that investment for a meaningless game. A player could be injured in practice too, but a game situation, even an ASG, is always more intense.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yes, will's got a point, but just say that :censored: instead of calling them schlubs or saying they don't deserve it. Just say you don't want your boys getting hurt! How f'in simple is that?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If it'll get them three extra days off, and prevent any meaningless injuries, then I'll go on record as saying that Howard, Utley, and especially Ibañez all suck ass and don't deserve to make the team.

Rollins legitimately sucks ass and doesn't deserve to make the team.

And the Phillies fans continue to stuff the ballot box to get stiffs like Utley and Ibanez into the game - this is proof positive that fans shouldn't vote for the All-Star Game. If the players voted, no way those two get in.

You've got a case for Utley and Rollins, but no way Ibanez should not be playing in the ASG this year. Well, except for this groin strain he suddenly has.

Also, I'd like to point out that Brad Hawpe is #1 in the NL in AVG with RISP, 3rd in AVG and SLG, 4th in OPS, and 6th in RBI, and yet is somehow not in the top 15 vote-getters for the NL outfield. One person on this board had Hawpe in their starting outfield, and while I don't think he's a starter (at this point), he definitely deserves to be mentioned.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh! What are Utley, Howard and Ibanez doing on the NL All-Star team? Besides the fact that the idiot fans elected a gimp in the outfield, there are more deserving second basemen this year, and they really do not need four first basemen.

LvZYtbZ.png

Ugh! What are Utley and Ibanez doing on the NL All-Star team? Besides the fact that the idiot fans elected a gimp in the outfield, there are more deserving second basemen this year.

Like Brandon Phillips.

If Joey Votto wouldn't have missed a month the Reds would have a legitimate chance at four all stars this year, but since Cincinnati isn't a big enough market, it won't happen.

Archived