MLB All Star Game 2009 Thread

patsox

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about they just stop playing the game? No one cares about it.

False.

Nobody cares about the Pro Bowl. Only a handful care about the NHL ASG. Slightly more care about the NBA ASG.

But the MLB ASG is pretty damn popular. Even the people that think it's worthless tend to watch it.

Well I was being sarcastic but hey if you want to run with it feel free.

BB52Big.jpg

False.

Nobody cares about the Pro Bowl. Only a handful care about the NHL ASG. Slightly more care about the NBA ASG.

But the MLB ASG is pretty damn popular. Even the people that think it's worthless tend to watch it.

Well I was being sarcastic but hey if you want to run with it feel free.

My bad...

I voted all 25 times earlier and did exactly what I do every year. I stick to my teams.

So, it was 8 Twins for the AL, 8 Braves for the NL.

That's how I roll.

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

False.

What are the ratings for the ASG vs those other ones? I'm in the camp with those who think it's worthless and should go away. It was cool back when I was a kid, and you could only watch your local team, plus the one national game on CBS or NBC (actually, I remember ABC Monday Night Baseball too), but now that you see these players on Sports Center and on cable all the time, it's just a worthless break in the schedule.

Don't get me started on how ridiculous the home-field advantage thing is too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I went to the All-Star Game when it was in Atlanta, and I loved being there and seeing all the players and being in that atmosphere. I hate that it determines who gets home field advantage. But if you go to one, I'm sure you will have a great time.

My Lineups:

AL

C: Joe Mauer .414/11/42

1B: Justin Morneau .344/14/46

2B: Aaron Hill .338/12/37

3B: Evan Longoria .332/13/55

SS: Jason Bartlett .373/7/30

OF: Jason Bay .282/14/48

OF: Torii Hunter .314/11/40

OF: Adam Jones .350/11/36

NL

C: Bengie Molina .254/8/31

1B: Albert Pujols .329/16/42

2B: Chase Utley .287/11/32

3B: Ryan Zimmerman .325/11/35

SS: Hanley Ramirez .320/8/22

OF: Carlos Beltran .352/6/31

OF: Brad Hawpe .343/7/39

OF: Raul Ibanez .333/17/46

Pitchers:

Zach Grienke

Johan Santana

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Marco Scutaro being in 2nd place shows you the lack of depth at shortstop in the AL. Wow.

Without looking at rosters, I'd say shortstop isn't very deep in the entire MLB.

Plenty of solid players. Some former "stars" that are now just declining solid players. Very few current great shortstops.

False.

What are the ratings for the ASG vs those other ones? I'm in the camp with those who think it's worthless and should go away. It was cool back when I was a kid, and you could only watch your local team, plus the one national game on CBS or NBC (actually, I remember ABC Monday Night Baseball too), but now that you see these players on Sports Center and on cable all the time, it's just a worthless break in the schedule.

Don't get me started on how ridiculous the home-field advantage thing is too.

Here's what I've found. The NHL is incomplete as I was having difficulty coming up with the numbers.

ratings.png

I'm in support of the All-Star game if it keeps MLB from adding more Interleague nonsense.

My Early Lineup according to my votes

AL

1B: Justin Morneau, MIN

2B: Aaron Hill, TOR

SS: Derek Jeter, NYY

3B: Evan Longoria, TB

C: Joe Mauer, MIN

OF: Jason Bay, BOS

OF: Nelson Cruz, TEX

OF: Torii Hunter, LAA

NL

1B: Albert Pujols, STL

2B: Chase Utley, PHI

SS: Miguel Tejada, HOU

3B: David Wright, NYM

C: Brian McCann, ATL

OF: Carlos Beltran, NYY

OF: Ryan Braun, MIL

OF: Raul Ibanez, PHI

Great to see the Jays players having some hope without Vernon Wells or Alex Rios being at the forefront man that would be sweet to see Halladay on the mound, Hill at 2nd and Scutaro at Short.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I voted all 25 times earlier and did exactly what I do every year. I stick to my teams.

That's how I roll.

I dont mean to pick on you, but its people with that mentality that ruin the All Star Game. Its the ALL STAR GAME, not "my favorite player game." Call me a homer, but how in the world does Manny Ramirez have more votes than Raul Ibanez? In fact, how does any NL outfielder have more votes than Raul Ibanez? He leads the NL in Home Runs and RBI. Is it because he's not a sexy name? Is it because ESPN doesnt swallow him every night? Or is it because he doesnt play in New York, Chicago or LA? The process is a joke. The game should be a showcase of the game's best players THAT YEAR. It shouldnt count for home field, and it sure as all hell should not have its starting lineups determined by little 8 year old Johnny filling out 90 ballots instead of watching the game like he should at the ballpark because his role model is Manny. And people wonder why everyone hates America....

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

That's how I roll.

Great. You voted for the 1991 World Series. :upside:

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

That's how I roll.

I dont mean to pick on you, but its people with that mentality that ruin the All Star Game. Its the ALL STAR GAME, not "my favorite player game." Call me a homer, but how in the world does Manny Ramirez have more votes than Raul Ibanez? In fact, how does any NL outfielder have more votes than Raul Ibanez? He leads the NL in Home Runs and RBI. Is it because he's not a sexy name? Is it because ESPN doesnt swallow him every night? Or is it because he doesnt play in New York, Chicago or LA? The process is a joke. The game should be a showcase of the game's best players THAT YEAR. It shouldnt count for home field, and it sure as all hell should not have its starting lineups determined by little 8 year old Johnny filling out 90 ballots instead of watching the game like he should at the ballpark because his role model is Manny. And people wonder why everyone hates America....

The fact that the whole thing is a popularity contest, that puts people like Manny in with his situation, is the exact reason I do what I do. The players from the biggest markets get all the votes. I definitely see what your saying, that when people in NY, LA, Chicago, or Boston do that it ruins it. But Braves and Twins fans can't compete with that.

I am essentially doing what any Democrat in Tennessee does with a Presidential election. They all come out and proudly vote, knowing their candidate is still going to get destroyed. I do it to be loyal to my teams, and be one less vote for Manny and the others. Sure, they're not all All-Stars, but when you turn the process into a fan vote, that's all out the window.

And, ya know, a vote for Mauer, Morneau, Chipper, or McCann certainly isn't a wasted vote. B)

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

That's how I roll.

The fact that the whole thing is a popularity contest, that puts people like Manny in with his situation, is the exact reason I do what I do. The players from the biggest markets get all the votes. I definitely see what your saying, that when people in NY, LA, Chicago, or Boston do that it ruins it. But Braves and Twins fans can't compete with that.

I am essentially doing what any Democrat in Tennessee does with a Presidential election. They all come out and proudly vote, knowing their candidate is still going to get destroyed. I do it to be loyal to my teams, and be one less vote for Manny and the others. Sure, they're not all All-Stars, but when you turn the process into a fan vote, that's all out the window.

And, ya know, a vote for Mauer, Morneau, Chipper, or McCann certainly isn't a wasted vote. B)

The fact that Jason Varitek is probably going to end up beating out Mauer for catcher just because he plays in Boston is an outrage. It happens every year. It is bound to happen again this year. You might as well change it from the NL vs the AL to the NL vs the Red Sox. You can even argue it should be Cubs vs Red Sox. I hate the whole top vote getter is the starter thing, but that's just the way it goes I guess. Mauer might be 100K votes ahead right now, but I have a feeling that once it nears July the Red Sox fans are going to change that fact.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

That's how I roll.

The fact that Jason Varitek is probably going to end up beating out Mauer for catcher just because he plays in Boston is an outrage. It happens every year. It is bound to happen again this year. You might as well change it from the NL vs the AL to the NL vs the Red Sox. You can even argue it should be Cubs vs Red Sox. I hate the whole top vote getter is the starter thing, but that's just the way it goes I guess. Mauer might be 100K votes ahead right now, but I have a feeling that once it nears July the Red Sox fans are going to change that fact.

You're complaining about something that may happen in the future?

Geeze!

I hate the Red Sox as much as any one but I think you're a bit paranoid.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived