The U goes U-niversity-wide

Waffles

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/southflori...ry/1089894.html

All of University of Miami to adopt Hurricanes' 'U' logo

Miami Herald Staff

The University of Miami is adopting its sports logo to represent the entire educational institution.

The Hurricanes' ''split U'' -- orange on left side, green on the right -- began appearing on nonathletic materials on Tuesday.

The name ''University of Miami'' will accompany the ''U'' logo on letterheads and most other uses. In some cases, the name of the college or other unit will be used, too. Previously, UM used an all-type logo that featured the word ''Miami'' in large letters with a smaller ''University of'' above it and a thick line underneath.

The university's health system also will adopt the new mark.

It's a good, famous, iconic logo and all that, but I don't know what kind of image they're trying to project by adopting the athletic department's brand as the identity of the entire university, especially at a school that should not only be hesitant to put the sometimes troubled athletic department front-and-center, but also particularly sensitive to inviting the perception it is, inordinately, a sports school.

If you got a letter from the University of Miami offering your kid admission or asking for money on "split U" letterhead, or saw a referral slip to a doctor at the U hospital, how long does it take you to start humming "7th Floor Crew"?

The article also had this tidbit that got me thinking:

''The split-U is one of the most recognizable collegiate marks nationally and may well be the most ubiquitous graphic symbol throughout South Florida,'' Menendez wrote. ``Our bold new look is perhaps the first time an academic and health institution uses a symbol of its celebrated athletics program.''

Italics mine. I can't think of any either.

The article also had this tidbit that got me thinking:
''The split-U is one of the most recognizable collegiate marks nationally and may well be the most ubiquitous graphic symbol throughout South Florida,'' Menendez wrote. ``Our bold new look is perhaps the first time an academic and health institution uses a symbol of its celebrated athletics program.''

Italics mine. I can't think of any either.

UMHSLogoC.gif

Wonder if it will appear on things like diplomas. That'd suck if so.

EDIT:

RE: the Michigan "M" that was just posted - was that really just an "athletics" mark, or part of an official school package that the athletics department just adopted? I know my undergrad worked that way, where the sports teams "borrowed" official academic logos.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The University of Oregon did this when they dropped the interlocking "UO" for the new Nike design. Regardless of gender, I think most people think of Hurricanes football (or a former player) if they hear, "The University of Miami" in passing, so using the logo is probably a no-brainer. Just don't change Sebastian the Ibis!

EDIT (to reply to posts 2&3): The official university seal is rarely used. Generally just by the Office of the President/Chancellor, and other executives. Schools use the "university mark" which most logos we see are (or modified from) and combined with an official typeface.

Could be wrong but doesn't the University of Arizona use the "A" from its basketball team and football helmets as its school academic symbol?

Looking at their website, nope.

Aesthetically it makes sense and looks good. It's an iconic symbol and is easily recognizable.

However, it's interesting that a school that has traditionally struggled with their academic reputation for it's athletes would take a chance and making athletics look more important than the academic side. We all know athletics is more important than education at these huge businesses .. er. I mean school schools, but they usually like to carrying on the masquerade.

The University of Oregon did this when they dropped the interlocking "UO" for the new Nike design. Regardless of gender, I think most people think of Hurricanes football (or a former player) if they hear, "The University of Miami" in passing, so using the logo is probably a no-brainer. Just don't change Sebastian the Ibis!

EDIT (to reply to posts 2&3): The official university seal is rarely used. Generally just by the Office of the President/Chancellor, and other executives. Schools use the "university mark" which most logos we see are (or modified from) and combined with an official typeface.

Visual evidence:

oregon.gif

When I was looking at colleges in 2002, all my material from Oregon had the "O" logo and the above wordmark on it.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

My sister is going to Ohio State in the fall and when I was home last time I was looking through her pile of paperwork. I noticed that neither their iconic block O or Script Ohio is used on anything non-athletic. But they do make an effort to always refer to it as "The" Ohio State University.

Nothing earthshaking, just my humble observation.

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

Archived