Tigers and pirates wearing 1909 world series throwbacks today

scraw28

American history is replete with all manner of ugliness. You take the good with the bad.

Not just American.

Were the eras full of hate and ignorance? Yes.

The design of the uniform isn't as clear cut though. I mean are we going to ban teams for celebrating anniversaries by wearing throwbacks from this era?

In fact lets rewrite history. MLB prior to 1947 never happened. The first World Series Champions were the New York Yankees.

I'm not for that. I just think we should be very careful when looking back at those times. There was a very horrible thing going on for much of the first half of the 20th century, and I'm not sure throwing back to those times is appropriate.

And....what? Teams shouldn't use throwbacks from before 1947? A lot of teams not only have histories that go back further then that, they have histories worth remembering going back further then that. Teams reached milestones, won titles, or otherwise captured the imaginations of their fans during this era. Do we simply not celebrate all of that because of segregation?

You can't whitewash history.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
American history is replete with all manner of ugliness. You take the good with the bad.

Not just American.

The design of the uniform isn't as clear cut though. I mean are we going to ban teams for celebrating anniversaries by wearing throwbacks from this era?

In fact lets rewrite history. MLB prior to 1947 never happened. The first World Series Champions were the New York Yankees.

I'm not for that. I just think we should be very careful when looking back at those times. There was a very horrible thing going on for much of the first half of the 20th century, and I'm not sure throwing back to those times is appropriate.

And....what? Teams shouldn't use throwbacks from before 1947? A lot of teams not only have histories that go back further then that, they have histories worth remembering going back further then that. Teams reached milestones, won titles, or otherwise captured the imaginations of their fans during this era. Do we simply not celebrate all of that because of segregation?

You can't whitewash history, but you also don't have to celebrate it.

Baseball has almost always been ahead of it's time, and in 1947, the rest of the country still thought everyone should be separate. The years prior to that DID happen and I think it's time people start getting over it. When will people quit feeling wronged? It's almost like some people want everyone to think they personally went through that stuff when NO current Major League player had to deal with anything like Robinson. Let's get over it and look at it for what it is. It's a celebration. Can't we just leave it at that?

Not just American.

You can't whitewash history, but you also don't have to celebrate it.

But a lot of what teams celebrate with these throwbacks isn't connected with segregation. Sometimes it's as simple as honouring a mile-stone anniversary or celebrating the first world championship of the club.

How about we make all teams with nicknames pertaining to anything pre-integration change. Yankees, 76ers, 49ers, Vikings (who owned slaves)... all of your names must be changed. In fact lets make every team name singular and abstract, so it won't offend anyone. Thunder, Surge, Galaxy, Fire; all team names must be like this. Except the Jazz, who must lose the name because Jazz evolved from the Blues which was a musical style that was inspired by Slave life.

My point being exactly what Gothamite said: celebrating the good bits doesn't validate the bad. Those team names I mentioned don't have anything to do with slavery or prejudice. There's a whole lot of terrible things happening today... if you were concerned about oppression, and it being reflected in Sports Jerseys, consider the fact that the jerseys you wear may be made in sweatshops.

those who forget our history are the ones to repeat it

It's "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Right?

Oh, and George Santayana

i'm pretty sure there's like a hundred different versions of that saying :)

Archived