Tigers and pirates wearing 1909 world series throwbacks today

scraw28

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
l_c068c811dcf5d1d31d72edb8aa5cbbe1.jpg

Wow. Looks like they did a great job making them look like they did back then. Hell, even the photo looks authentically vintage.

Dug up Cobb and Wagner to play too! Great job!

And they remodeled PNC Park to look just like Forbes Field!

oBIgzrL.png

The Pirates have a completely blank uniform outside of that sleeve logo.

So that picture in the original post must not be from the year they're trying to replicate.

I think the original pic that was posted, Wagner is wearing a team sweater/jacket.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

I usually like these type of things but seein the Detroit jersey, it makes me wonder if the players actually like to play in something like that. The HUGE jersey and the HUGE collar...

You have to wonder what it would be like if baseball uniforms still looked that way today.

It'd be interesting.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Is it just me or is Wagner posed rather...off-balance? Looks like a Ken doll, but I have no idea how he is staying on his feet. I want to yell "Timber!!!". Boggles my mind. Back to the topic at hand, these jerseys look horrendous the way they were used. They used to wear baggy jerseys, and it looks like they have exaggerated that for emphasis. Looks silly. I have no idea how pitchers can pitch with those sleeves and collars. I can tell you right now if I was playing I would have had my collar cut off by the second pitch. The part that really caught my eye though was the hats. They look less rigid than normal MLB hats, but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. If they are less rigid, I want them.

I usually like these type of things but seein the Detroit jersey, it makes me wonder if the players actually like to play in something like that. The HUGE jersey and the HUGE collar...

You have to wonder what it would be like if baseball uniforms still looked that way today.

It'd be interesting.

I would imagine they're a pain in the butt for the players because everything about them is out of their comfort zone.

Dontrelle Willis' jersey is past his elbow. Pitchers throw with undersleeves all the time, but not very many throw with the jersey sleeve over the elbow. And I don't know how hot it was in Pittsburgh on Sunday, but those uniforms probably were pretty hot.

Hopefully that'll be the last time any of us sees Dontrelle Willis in a Tigers uniform.
Could possibly become 12/4/07. Maybin, Miller, and prospects for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis.

From the "Favorite Sports Moment of All-Time" thread.

How bad has Willis gotten for this change of heart? I know he's tapered off from his Florida days, but has he gotten THAT bad? Wow. That trade worked out for the Marlins a lot better than we all thought.

That trade worked out for the Marlins a lot better than we all thought.

It has? I respectfully disagree. Maybin is back in the minors (again). Miller has been roughed up early and often (though pitching well recently). De La Cruz was traded to the Padres for a player to be named. Badenhop hasn't done anything with his cups of coffee in the majors. Rabelo has been hurt and hasn't played this year. Trahern hasn't yet reached the majors.

Miguel Cabrera won the A.L. HR title last year and has had a terrific first half so far this year (though slowed of late by a bad hamstring).

Willis has indeed been awful--and it's sad to see--but the real crime wasn't gambling on Willis in the trade, it was foolishly throwing a huge contract extension his way without seeing him pitch.

Maybin and Miller may well still turn out to be terrific players. Maybin especially. They're both young and talented. But to say the trade has "worked out" for the Marlins is a stretch considering they've gotten no real return on ANY of the six players they received--thus far.

By the way, the throwback uniforms were shockingly accurate and cool to see.

Hopefully that'll be the last time any of us sees Dontrelle Willis in a Tigers uniform.
Could possibly become 12/4/07. Maybin, Miller, and prospects for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis.

From the "Favorite Sports Moment of All-Time" thread.

How bad has Willis gotten for this change of heart? I know he's tapered off from his Florida days, but has he gotten THAT bad? Wow. That trade worked out for the Marlins a lot better than we all thought.

What have I said to negate what I said back in December of '07? Miguel Cabrera has easily outperformed Maybin, Miller and the prospects, and the fact that he's signed long term is a win for the Tigers. Willis was pretty much a throw in on the trade and it's time to end the experiment.

Archived