Tigers and pirates wearing 1909 world series throwbacks today

scraw28

I am really surprised that more teams haven't jumped on the cream bandwagon, following the SF Giants.

Teams that would look good in cream home uniforms:

Indians

Braves

Phillies (with pinstripes and red hat)

Mets (home pinstripes and blue hat)

Nationals

Everyone loves a roundel.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully that'll be the last time any of us sees Dontrelle Willis in a Tigers uniform.
Could possibly become 12/4/07. Maybin, Miller, and prospects for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis.

From the "Favorite Sports Moment of All-Time" thread.

How bad has Willis gotten for this change of heart? I know he's tapered off from his Florida days, but has he gotten THAT bad? Wow. That trade worked out for the Marlins a lot better than we all thought.

What have I said to negate what I said back in December of '07? Miguel Cabrera has easily outperformed Maybin, Miller and the prospects, and the fact that he's signed long term is a win for the Tigers. Willis was pretty much a throw in on the trade and it's time to end the experiment.

I remember all those Lugo for Willis rumors during the offseason, I was all for it. Now, this will be the only time I will ever say this, but, I'm glad we kept Lugo.

I was a fan of the hats, not so much the uniforms. It looked like the players were swimming in them and it probably was a pain to wear.

PNC Park also did not play any music nor special electronic displays that would not have been around in 1909. Interesting concept, but it would have been a dull game to go to without any of that.

Jerseys.png

Hopefully that'll be the last time any of us sees Dontrelle Willis in a Tigers uniform.
Could possibly become 12/4/07. Maybin, Miller, and prospects for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis.

From the "Favorite Sports Moment of All-Time" thread.

How bad has Willis gotten for this change of heart? I know he's tapered off from his Florida days, but has he gotten THAT bad? Wow. That trade worked out for the Marlins a lot better than we all thought.

What have I said to negate what I said back in December of '07? Miguel Cabrera has easily outperformed Maybin, Miller and the prospects, and the fact that he's signed long term is a win for the Tigers. Willis was pretty much a throw in on the trade and it's time to end the experiment.

It's not what you said, but I remember when the trade happened people were thinking that Willis was going to win the Cy Young that year. As a fan of a team who saw him rather often before the trade, that seemed rather reasonable. I'm just shocked at how bad Willis has gotten. But I forgot about Cabera winning the home run title. Maybe the trade wasn't as bad for the Tigers as I thought.

I was a fan of the hats, not so much the uniforms. It looked like the players were swimming in them and it probably was a pain to wear.

PNC Park also did not play any music nor special electronic displays that would not have been around in 1909. Interesting concept, but it would have been a dull game to go to without any of that.

I know someone who went, and they said it would've been really boring if the pens weren't running around the park with the cup half the time.

oBIgzrL.png

And while we're at it, the hat piping was pretty sweet too.

There has to be some way to make all the Navy/Red teams differentiate themselves from one another more than they do now.

Good point. I'd love to see a big league team use piping:

bal39c.jpg

558_787_popup.JPG

575_786_popup.JPG

Great look, would be very distinctive.

While I can see why, most teams also have Negro League days, so it feels even to me. Although I guess that would go under the time of segregation as well. Honesty, I'm not sure anymore.

The players probably wouldn't mind if they never had to wear wool jerseys with longer sleeves and big collars again.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I don't like the idea of throwing back to a time of segregation.

You have to to be kidding me

Why? It's celebrating an era that was full of hate and ignorance. They're asking some players to wear a uniform that their grand fathers never would have been allowed to wear. I guess it could be argued that it represents progress too. It's a tough one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Were the eras full of hate and ignorance? Yes.

The design of the uniform isn't as clear cut though. I mean are we going to ban teams for celebrating anniversaries by wearing throwbacks from this era?

In fact lets rewrite history. MLB prior to 1947 never happened. The first World Series Champions were the New York Yankees.

When I say Donrelle Willis pitching in the 1909 throwback, I thought it was nice to see an African American in a uni that he wouldn't have been allowed to wear originally. It showed what should have been and made me smile.

Everyone loves a roundel.

Were the eras full of hate and ignorance? Yes.

The design of the uniform isn't as clear cut though. I mean are we going to ban teams for celebrating anniversaries by wearing throwbacks from this era?

In fact lets rewrite history. MLB prior to 1947 never happened. The first World Series Champions were the New York Yankees.

I'm not for that. I just think we should be very careful when looking back at those times. There was a very horrible thing going on for much of the first half of the 20th century, and I'm not sure throwing back to those times is appropriate.

I know someone who went, and they said it would've been really boring if the pens weren't running around the park with the cup half the time.

I was there and I second the notion that without the Cup it was very dull. I can post a few pics if anyone would like to see the scoreboard and unis...or the cup :P

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

Archived