Carolina Wrens

rentz

wrensqs.png

So, I've had this idea in my head for a while. I really like birds, and one of my favorites is the Carolina Wren. I thought this name lent itself well to a sports team name (Much like Baltimore Orioles) and, as the MLB is lacking representation in the Carolinas I figured it would be good fit.

The Style Guide:

styleguide.png

Version 1 is here-- I think it's come a long way.

First off, I have to say I'm a big fan of the name. A few years ago, I played around with a design for a minor league team called the Rock Hill Wrens - the moniker used for one year by Rock Hill's 1963 Western Carolinas League team.

However, I'm not sure if the name would work for an MLB team in the Carolinas. Since there's about a 98% chance a MLB team in the Carolinas would play in Charlotte, NC... I don't know how well it would go over. I'm not sure if it's just my native South Carolinian self, but I associate the Carolina Wren with South Carolina (it's the state bird of South Carolina - North Carolina's is the Cardinal). It even adorned our license plates from 1991-1998:

sc92.jpg

As far as the design, I'm not sold on the wren itself. I feel like it needs to be more detailed, it looks rather fat (I know wrens are rounder-looking birds, but it could use a slimming) and I don't think the stitches work. I also think it needs feet.

I really like the script, but I do think it would look better if you made the R a cursive R, instead of connecting a print R to the O.

I'm not really sure on advice for the cap logo - the CW isn't horrible, but I think something else would work better. Maybe just a C?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Yeah, I was a bit concerned with the, um, girth of the wren. However, I was going for that baseball theme with the stitches and thought wrens are round, baseballs are round, perfect! But I'll play around with it, maybe try a more realistic one.

I'll try adding a cursive r to the script.

As far as the North/South Carolina conundrum... this was just sort of a fun concept, and I'm not too concerned it makes sense, but given the fact that SC's state bird is the Carolina Wren, let's put this team in Columbia, SC.

Thanks for the comment

Naturally, I like the name. That has been my nickname since birth (coming from Lawrence.)

I love the colors and love the bird logo.

Not too sure about the script or the cap logo, but the primary is a winner, IMO.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Yeah, I was a bit concerned with the, um, girth of the wren. However, I was going for that baseball theme with the stitches and thought wrens are round, baseballs are round, perfect! But I'll play around with it, maybe try a more realistic one.

I'll try adding a cursive r to the script.

As far as the North/South Carolina conundrum... this was just sort of a fun concept, and I'm not too concerned it makes sense, but given the fact that SC's state bird is the Carolina Wren, let's put this team in Columbia, SC.

Thanks for the comment

Then the Carolina Conundrum is solved ^_^

Look forward to the update!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Sorry for the double post, but I've got some updated logos to show...

carolinawrens-3.png

Some changes on the wren, made it more realistic. I kept the stitching though.

I scrapped the other cap logo and just made a simple interlocking 'CW'.

Slight changes to the script as well.

All C+C is welcome.

Edit: Here's the Home uniform. This is my first Baseball concept, so it's nothing too out of the ordinary.

cwu-2.png

Update 1: Added Wren as shoulder patch.

Since there's about a 98% chance a MLB team in the Carolinas would play in Charlotte, NC...

The people of Raleigh and the surrounding area would beg to differ. Baseball at the professional level is a better draw here than there thanks to the Carolina Mudcats and Durham Bulls. The Charlotte Knights meanwhile don't fare nearly as well.

nav-logo.png

I like the update on the bird with the feet, before it kind of looked like a bird-grenade thing.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Sorry for the double post, but I've got some updated logos to show...

carolinawrens-3.png

Some changes on the wren, made it more realistic. I kept the stitching though.

I scrapped the other cap logo and just made a simple interlocking 'CW'.

Slight changes to the script as well.

All C+C is welcome.

Edit: Here's the Home uniform. This is my first Baseball concept, so it's nothing too out of the ordinary.

cwu-2.png

Update 1: Added Wren as shoulder patch.

Love the uniforms so far.

But if this is mean to be an MLB concept, I think the colors are much to similar to th Brewers, not to mention the jerseys are exact replicas (minus the logos and wordmarks.)

Oh boy... that's what I get for being generally uniformed about MLB uniforms! Honestly, right now I could accurately tell you what about six teams' uniforms look like. I'll try changing the striping some.

As for the colors-- unfortunately I chose this combo for its uniqueness among MLB uniforms, as violet and gold isn't use. I suppose the violet is a bit more indigo than I would like, thus the Brewers similarity.

So, I offer some new color combos: A more accurate purple/violet, a burnt orange/brown (which would make the colors a bit more accurate to the bird itself!), a forest green, and black. Note I am avoiding the red/blue plague that has consumed Major League Baseball :P

Also, I made a new cap logo... this one partially inspired by the old 3M logo. I realize people dislike monograms incorporating the first letter of the team name, but I couldn't come up with anything with just a C. I tried 'Old English' Fonts but everything I tried just screamed 'Corona!'. Maybe I could add a feather?

cw-2.png

All suggestions welcome.

Since there's about a 98% chance a MLB team in the Carolinas would play in Charlotte, NC...

The people of Raleigh and the surrounding area would beg to differ. Baseball at the professional level is a better draw here than there thanks to the Carolina Mudcats and Durham Bulls. The Charlotte Knights meanwhile don't fare nearly as well.

Doesn't matter. MLB officials and any investor is going to head for Charlotte if this ever were a possibility. They won't care how the Mudcats or Bulls did in the past- they will want to know how they can get the most amount of people into the stadium they finance- and that will be in a metro area where populations from both states can easily visit.

Fortunately, while 98% is probably a good estimate of where the team would be located...the chance of a team in the Carolinas ever appearing would be more like 4%.

LOVE the design! Very original pattern.

The only thing is, I don't really like the locale names on the home jerseys. I understand you might not think a "Wrens" script would look that good, but maybe the "CW" or bird logo on the chest might work...

bYhYmxh.png

BIG UPDATE!

New Logo sheet:

wrensls.png

Some big changes, namely the color scheme... this is now an entirely unique scheme, and more accurately reflects the coloring of a Carolina Wren. I like how the dark brown looks with the Gold.

No changes to the primary, but there's an entirely new cap logo! For anyone who hates on monogram logos containing team name initials, this is just a C, with a feather thrown in for good measure. I'm a bit concerned it looks like an Indians logo, with the 'C' and the feather, but I like how it turned out.

I also made a new Wrens script.

Uniforms:

cwhome.pngcwroad.png

...For some reason the cap logo is cut off on the away!

But anyway, I'm pretty happy with how these came out... I'm not sure about the gold piping on the away, but I think it looks all right.

All C+C appreciated!

hmm...people may think "Native American" once they see the secondary/cap logo. i don't really have a good suggestion for a secondary beyond what you have, but that was just a thought.

That secondary logo would be perfect for the Cleveland Indians, all they'd have to do is make the feather red.

I like the idea you have for this team though, I live in SC right now and I always thought that the Carolina Wrens would be a good name for a team.

T1oYViW.png

I guess the Cleveland comments would be inevitable. So, I added the feather in the logo to the primary to create more continuity in the logos. I also made a slightly different, rounder version that I figure would work as a cap logo.

primarycap.png

I figured I would post the four possible caps I've come up with--the one with the primary cap logo, one with the primary, one with the edited and one with just a plain C.

hats.png

By the way, does anyone have a better hat template than this one? This was about the best I could find...

top two are brilliant. I love them both. this is an awesome and I could totally see this happening if the MLB just so happened to expand or move teams around. perfect situation: Nats go bankrupt (even tho I love the team and wish they'd be good) and they're moved south to NC.

lrg_6444e0b331f54e979d389637de158186.jpg

I think the cap that has the C without a feather looks great.

Love the update.

I like the bird with the feet; and I love the cap with the plain 'C'.

Reminds me of Clemson's baseball caps (very simple, but nice), which are some of my favorite caps in the NCAA.

996-NCAA_Clemson_Oklahoma_St_Baseball4.standalone.prod_affiliate.138.JPG

Archived