**It's Back** College Football Uniform Overhaul

Brave-Bird 08

South Carolina

And we are back! Next up after a little bit of a break, the SC Gamecocks

I can stand piping, in moderation. Some of under armors templates use a ridiculous amount, and South Carolina sports one of them. The stupid loop under the armpit, along with the insane pants make those one of my least favorite in all of football.

So, my goal here was to give a very unique but clean look for the Gamecocks without doing basically a throwback.

Here is my most unique template yet, as you will tell...it is not a stock template.

I also used the awesome SC script logo on the helmet.

Some major elements include the new jersey template, the new pant logo placements (which are way different than anything you have seen- I even thought about coloring the top segment of the pants? yea? no?)...and of course one of my favorite things to do- two helmets!! the second helmet gives for a "blackout" uniform. Hope the SC fans appreciate the work of a Dawg :) and of course...everything is once again interchangable...but some stuff may just go better than others.

homeuniformsvg.png

roaduniform-8.png

homeuniform2svg.png

Well done as well, although I think most of the time one helmet is best. And when I think of South Carolina I think not of the white helmets, but of the Sterling Sharpe days.

Packers-2.png

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A little bit more comments on recent designs would be nice, but anyways here is #12 of the series.

Indiana

Indiana was a toughy for me. They have done what they could I guess to stay away from looking like Oklahoma with crimson facemasks and pants, but that just made their uniforms ugly. I wanted to give them that crimson helmet, crimson jersey, white pants look without it looking like an OU clone. So, I figured, why not add black? They used black in the late 1990's...they just used it wrong! I used black as trim and gave them a classic striping style. Mainly, my goal was to add black but keep a classic looking uniform...because Indiana and modernized uniforms just do not go together.

homeuniform-8.png

roaduniform-6.png

looks alot like ohio state

No, it looks a lot like Indiana ... in the Lee Corso/Babe Laufenberg days.

And there is still the matter of their colors being crimson and cream ...

Packers-2.png

Troy

What I hate about Troy is the odd shaded striping they use and the monochrome look. There is no point in making stripes shaded darker on one side...you are not fooling anyone. I wanted to give their jerseys some character as well, considering their template is pretty bland. I just used some Troy-esque striping, minus the shaded stuff, and some new shoulder stripes that keep up Troy's recent style without getting too ridiculous. I also used silver pants and a silver helmet to tone down on the monochrome. Plus, does a silver helmet not make sense when you are talking about Trojans? I even tried to pull off a sublimated armor pattern on the shoulders...kind of like the stuff I did with temple, but I was questioning it a bit and left it off.

homeuniform-9.png

roaduniform-7.png

Other than the black facemasks (is black one of their colors?), this looks really good.

Packers-2.png

I picked Idaho because their uniforms bore me, and have too generic and plain of a look. They are not really known for anything, and most people never even see them. I wanted to give them a snazzy updated looking uniform, and most of all a better logo. The helmet they wore last season had the primary logo on it, and I thought it did not look good. My helmet options were either the gold with the Vandals script in black, or a newer looking helmet.

Even though the gold Vandals script helmet looked great with my new design for them, I went out on a limb with a completely different shell for conceptual purposes. I updated one of their cartoony logos...hopefully it is less cartoony looking now, and decided on it as a primary. It did not look good on a jersey or the pants, but I figured it looked right on a helmet. (Also, the picture in Athlon I referenced was from 2007, so I used Adidas on this instead of Nike. Woops)

homeuniform1-1.png

homeuniform2.png

roaduniform1-1.png

roaduniform2.png

Hope you like!

I like everything except the (unnecessary) white pants.

Packers-2.png

Kent State

Kent State was a no brainer for me. Their current bird/lightning bolt logo just bothers the heck out of me. They are the "Golden Flashes". With that in mind I gave them a more suitable primary logo, and eliminated the bird logo from the helmet. Their current jerseys just do not make a lick of sense...they have the strangest piping. I went for a very simple but characteristic design...much like the one that Cal uses. This concept may remind some of you of the Golden Bears, but the detail is supposed to be as "Flashy" as possible.

As Elliot pointed out, sometimes the outfitter will not quite match up with the template...that is a flaw in me not really knowing that much about template tendencies...but, I will try to be a tad more consistent in the following concepts (for this one I just used Nike, b/c NB might as well not outfit anyone...so Nike, just for kicks!)

homeuniform.png

homeuniform2-1.png

roaduniform.png

again, the pants and jerseys are meant to be interchangable.

Very well done as well. (The Chargers could wear these.) Again, though, the white pants don't do it for me. The roads would look good with the gold pants or the blue pants, so the white pants are not necessary.

Packers-2.png

Boston College

Here is a concept that settles my stomach, but may be too boring for people here (and I'm more of a modernist if you guys have not noticed).

When I think Boston sports, one of the first thoughts that comes to my mind is classic uniforms. BC had a pretty good branding in 2001...I love their logos...but the uniforms just bother me. I do not like the number font, even though I think it works well with the names on the back of the jerseys. I really think BC should wear block font.

The major change I wanted to make was to give them just a simple jersey, but emphasize color via the cuffs. I love jerseys that are plain but have contrasting cuffs, and always think BC should have that. The pants echo the helmet a little better than the current ones do. Very simple, and maybe boring, but something I would prefer to see BC do.

path4539.png

awayuniform-3.png

Troy

What I hate about Troy is the odd shaded striping they use and the monochrome look. There is no point in making stripes shaded darker on one side...you are not fooling anyone. I wanted to give their jerseys some character as well, considering their template is pretty bland. I just used some Troy-esque striping, minus the shaded stuff, and some new shoulder stripes that keep up Troy's recent style without getting too ridiculous. I also used silver pants and a silver helmet to tone down on the monochrome. Plus, does a silver helmet not make sense when you are talking about Trojans? I even tried to pull off a sublimated armor pattern on the shoulders...kind of like the stuff I did with temple, but I was questioning it a bit and left it off.

homeuniform-9.png

roaduniform-7.png

Other than the black facemasks (is black one of their colors?), this looks really good.

They wore black primarily until just a few years ago. I think the switch was right when they changed from Troy State to Troy.

Also, never noticed that the odd (though not really bad) striping on Troy's uniforms was supposed to be a sword. Is that what the giants "J" in the middle of the TroJans wordmark is supposed to be as well? I've always wondered about that thing.

Woo! Officially more than half way finished, and coming around in time to finish before the kickoff! I just want to take some time to thank everyone who has posted / followed this thread. I've been involved in CCSLC for only a handful of months now, and coming in had really no idea how to do this kind of stuff. Now, I'm addicted...and hopefully progressing.

My Boston College concept was nothing special; More of just a personal taste thing, but coming down the stretch I am really going to mix it up! Northwestern is up.

Northwestern

Here is the biggun! Out of every team on this list, Northwestern was my main target. They have by far the most boring uniforms in sports. The huge numbers (especially when they used to look like 5th grade stencils), the generic adidas template, and the terrible color scheme and combinations have made for my least favorite cfb uniform.

I wanted to do something out of the ordinary. When I did the SC concept and placed logos on the upper band of the pants, I thought of maybe coloring the bands. I mentioned it in my post, but no one really responded to the idea. Well, despite zero response, I did it anyways!! No where near too much for my taste because I'm a fan of that out of the ordinary stuff...but this one is nothing for the faint of heart. I wanted to combine major personality with some very different logo placement...and most importantly keeping a simplistic uniform. Tada! (fingers crossed once again)

home.png

road.png

Love the shoulder stripes! Good job for the most part with Northwestern. I am a little iffy with the name on the waistband, but it would be a unique look, and I like that you were thinking out of the box. Really nice job on this series so far, I like most of these, so keep it up.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Arkansas

Arkansas went from okay, to bad last year with their uniforms. The ones they wore during the bulk of the McFadden era looked good, but were basically Oklahoma copies. The new ones were absolutely terrible, and featured tons of inconsistencies. I'm pretty sure they even wore two different style white pants, and two different white jerseys.

Yikes! So anyways, here is the clean up. I went for a uniform with a lot of personality. Everything is pretty modernized, however I wanted to keep the classic Hog logo.

home-1.png

road-1.png

Pretty nice. I like what you did here. I dunno if that Adidas branding stripe on the collar was necessary, but it looks fine to me. Also, maybe it'd make more sense if you had 'BACKS' written on the front of the helmet other than 'HOGS', (Because they are the Razorbacks, right?). Other than that, it looks pretty nice. I think the stripes you have along the jersey accentuates well with the name. Nice job here, Bird.

Pretty nice. I like what you did here. I dunno if that Adidas branding stripe on the collar was necessary, but it looks fine to me. Also, maybe it'd make more sense if you had 'BACKS' written on the front of the helmet other than 'HOGS', (Because they are the Razorbacks, right?). Other than that, it looks pretty nice. I think the stripes you have along the jersey accentuates well with the name. Nice job here, Bird.

thanks for the feedback. the reason I have HOGS is because that is what they use now...so I figure it was applicable.

thanks for the feedback. the reason I have HOGS is because that is what they use now...so I figure it was applicable.

Oh I see. I'm not a regular watcher of CF but I do watch it every time I can. Never noticed that.

Being a Hog fan I am always curious when people do Razorback concepts and let me say I LOVE IT! WAY better than the current set. GREAT JOB!! Simplicity is always the way to go for Arkansas in my mind.

Oh and "HOGS" is perfect on the front of the helmet, or the back or anywhere. That is how most people refer to them down here.

Miami (FL)

Ok, here is where things get interesting. I am, as you guys know, all for stuff that is different. It sometimes annoys me when people mark down a concept because it isnt standardized enough. I actually kind of like it when Nike pushes the limits with Oregon. For Miami, I wanted to push some limits. Miami has always seemed kind of ahead of the curve with uniforms. They had a very unique look back in the early 2000's...and were the first to show off the swoop template...and then lately went to a really boring design. I do not like the fact that do not have names on the jerseys, or the weird placement of the inserts on their jersey.

I wanted to keep their overall look while improving the template, as well as adding some modern flair that pushes past what most expect to see. I have a feeling this concept will remind some of you of Oregon's latest set.

Everything is interchangable, but some combinations do not work as well as others...so here are 6 looks. Major changes include new template, addition of script, two white jerseys, a black jersey, and a green facemask.

***6 COMBINATIONS, 2 POSTS...GO TO NEXT PAGE***

home-2.png

road3png.png

home2.png

road2.png

Archived