Patriots practice jerseys brought to you by: Gillette

DGivens87

I have always wondered why NFL teams don't make practice jerseys that are designed in a way that people would want to buy them. Think about it. They could have at least 3 different additional jerseys to sell (offense, defense, and QB). If they designed them more like a game jersey, they could have even more product to sell. You could make them radically different from your game jersey. For example, teams like the Packers or Steelers with traditional looking game jerseys could have more modern practice jerseys and teams like the Bengals and Falcons who have more modern game jerseys could have more traditional looking practice jerseys. Given how much the NFL loves to push their merchandise, it seems like an obvious miss when so many teams have such basic looking practice jerseys that nobody would want to buy one. Am I missing something?? :blink:

Actually, I got a replica of Aaron Rodgers' practice jersey for xmas last year. But upon closer inspection, it appears that it's really a Giants alt with "RODGERS 12" and no TV numbers.

As long as these ad patches stay on just practice jerseys, it won't bother me.

I know soccer does it, but placing advertisements on game-worn jerseys just screams "minor league" to me. Ads on CFL and AFL jerseys just make them look cluttered and ridiculous, especially since the jerseys are already adding numerous stripes and piping patterns. Add to that, the CFL and AFL also place large ads on the field of play, making the field look cluttered.

cosigned. but with soccer (at least across the pond), the trade-off is that they don't break for commercials during the game. I think I'd welcome jersey ads if it meant they wouldn't run 10 commercials before showing a punt and then run 10 more commercials after the return.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have always wondered why NFL teams don't make practice jerseys that are designed in a way that people would want to buy them. Think about it. They could have at least 3 different additional jerseys to sell (offense, defense, and QB). If they designed them more like a game jersey, they could have even more product to sell. You could make them radically different from your game jersey. For example, teams like the Packers or Steelers with traditional looking game jerseys could have more modern practice jerseys and teams like the Bengals and Falcons who have more modern game jerseys could have more traditional looking practice jerseys. Given how much the NFL loves to push their merchandise, it seems like an obvious miss when so many teams have such basic looking practice jerseys that nobody would want to buy one. Am I missing something?? :blink:

Actually, I got a replica of Aaron Rodgers' practice jersey for xmas last year. But upon closer inspection, it appears that it's really a Giants alt with "RODGERS 12" and no TV numbers.

As long as these ad patches stay on just practice jerseys, it won't bother me.

I know soccer does it, but placing advertisements on game-worn jerseys just screams "minor league" to me. Ads on CFL and AFL jerseys just make them look cluttered and ridiculous, especially since the jerseys are already adding numerous stripes and piping patterns. Add to that, the CFL and AFL also place large ads on the field of play, making the field look cluttered.

cosigned. but with soccer (at least across the pond), the trade-off is that they don't break for commercials during the game. I think I'd welcome jersey ads if it meant they wouldn't run 10 commercials before showing a punt and then run 10 more commercials after the return.

Exactly. That's one of the many reasons why I'm a soccer fan: There is only ONE commercial break, and that's halftime. You can sit there and watch a soccer game knowing that there's going to be 45 minutes of action, 15 minutes for halftime, then 45 more minutes of action. Everything else is done with either an on-screen ad, advertisement boards surrounding the field, or the shirt sponsor.

I'd be down on CFL-style ads on the jersey if it meant a significant cut in commercial breaks. If we get ads and still have just as many commercial breaks, I'd be hot.

Ugh . . . this is worse than expected. The sky isn't falling just yet, but there are cracks in the ceiling. As I've gotten out of my teens and into my twenties, I haven't purchased sports jerseys nearly as much as I used to, but you can mark this: I will NEVER buy a piece of team merchandise with a sponsor on it. (and no, Nike/Reebok/Adidas don't count - they are manufacturers, not sponsors).

Not really... at least in the NFL. Reebok doesn't make the on-field uniforms, instead, some other company (Ripon I think?) makes'em, and Reebok just slaps their logo on them like any other sponsor (was the same way before Reebok got the contract too.)

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken, but it's foolish not to consider Nike or Reebok logos as ads.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Ugh . . . this is worse than expected. The sky isn't falling just yet, but there are cracks in the ceiling. As I've gotten out of my teens and into my twenties, I haven't purchased sports jerseys nearly as much as I used to, but you can mark this: I will NEVER buy a piece of team merchandise with a sponsor on it. (and no, Nike/Reebok/Adidas don't count - they are manufacturers, not sponsors).

Not really... at least in the NFL. Reebok doesn't make the on-field uniforms, instead, some other company (Ripon I think?) makes'em, and Reebok just slaps their logo on them like any other sponsor (was the same way before Reebok got the contract too.)

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken, but it's foolish not to consider Nike or Reebok logos as ads.

This.

And nowhere is this more true than in the NCAA world (particularly with UnderArmour in baseball). But yes, the original point stands.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Exactly. That's one of the many reasons why I'm a soccer fan: There is only ONE commercial break, and that's halftime. You can sit there and watch a soccer game knowing that there's going to be 45 minutes of action, 15 minutes for halftime, then 45 more minutes of action. Everything else is done with either an on-screen ad, advertisement boards surrounding the field, or the shirt sponsor.

Define ACTION...

You don't need commercial break when you know you can go to the washroom, grab a cold one from the fridge, make out with your girlfriend, then come back, and the score won't change... still NIL-NIL...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

The CFL has had advertisements on jerseys for years, and the on field product hasn't suffered.

No, but the league's uniform æsthetics certainly have.

You can't blame it on the Sponsor Patch... if anything, the patch is the only thing that DIFFERENTIATE some of those stupid Reebok TEMPLATE :wacko:

@Frenchie_TO

Define ACTION...

You don't need commercial break when you know you can go to the washroom, grab a cold one from the fridge, make out with your girlfriend, then come back, and the score won't change... still NIL-NIL...

I don't know, I think the score will change... once you make out with your girlfriend....

The CFL has had advertisements on jerseys for years, and the on field product hasn't suffered.

End of the world indeed :rolleyes:

... having watched two Argos-Blue Bombers games... I think you have to reconsider :P

I saw, I came, I left.

Define ACTION...

Not sure your girlfriend would be too happy with only 3 minutes of pleasure. :P

I don't mind commercial breaks. Why would I want to watch an entire half of a game without being able to take a leak, check my mail, walk around, or if I'm feeling industrious and slovenly, all three at once?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Define ACTION...

Yeah, I know there can be excitment in Soccer, unless you're a TFC Fan ...

My sarcastic comment was making fun (tongue in cheek, not bullying) of a response that claimed that the best thing about soccer was no TV commercials... I have no issue with commercials on TV (unless you miss the winning pass in NASCAR).

@Frenchie_TO

Of course, then there is Aussie Rules where the quarters take around 30 minutes a pop from beginning to end, very few stoppages in play longer than fifteen seconds, a metric buttload of scoring happens, and then time for you take a leak, grab a pie and some beer, and then come back and watch some more of what is THE BEST GAME EVER INVENTED BY MANKIND but you already knew that so I digress.

And really, the AFL's setup of ads on jumpers is not bad at all -- a little one on the front near (or in place of) where the team logo would be on a soccer uniform would be on the left breast and then a bumper sticker type ad on the back. Not bad at all, and in some cases blending in with the uniform itself.

Plus there are is advertising everywhere, even painted on the field in a distorted manner so that when you see it on TV it looks right side up.

In conclusion, Australian Rules Football is awesome and everyone should be playing it and not the stupid crappy American version and ohnoi'vegonecrosseyed.

philly.png

Define ACTION...

Yeah, I know there can be excitment in Soccer, unless you're a TFC Fan ...

My sarcastic comment was making fun (tongue in cheek, not bullying) of a response that claimed that the best thing about soccer was no TV commercials... I have no issue with commercials on TV (unless you miss the winning pass in NASCAR).

lol, I was being tongue in cheek as well (or tongue out of cheek as the smiley indicated.) I didn't say that that was the BEST part about soccer...just one of the many reasons why I like it. :D

Get used to the idea folks. I wonder how long it will be before say maybe a Cardinals-Raiders games looks like this?

IMG_2039.jpg7a04_1.JPG

If your favorite team looked like this and won the championship every year, you wouldn't care at all. It's about the title. I have yet to hear anyone argue that their team is better than someone else's because of uniforms, let alone what practice uniforms look like, the standard isn't what your uniform looks like, the standard is, how many championships you have. So I could care less if my team has a flippin ad on their jersey, I care if they win or not. It's about winning, that's what matters to me. If you want to put Windows on the jersey and have Microsoft sponsor my team or whomever, and I win a championship every year, go for it.

Yankee fans would beg to differ...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

The Bears practice jerseys are being sponsored by North Shore University Health System. And I'm not entirely against it, but the Bears look horrible. Out of 25 pictures, I could only read what the patch said on one picture. The North Shore logo on the patch is just way too small.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived