Blue Jays wearing retro whites today

SLAM

"The maple leaf in the original Blue Jays logo isn't that big. He must've thought someone was advocating bringing back the 1997 Blue Jays stuff. I agree, don't do that. "

You got it I WAS replying to the posting of the 1997 era Blue Jays logo, the World Series uniforms and logo are perfect and need to return full time!! But I might like a switch to a "T" or maybe some creative "TBJ" logo on the hat. I've never liked logo hats, letters look better in my opinion.

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yet another aesthetically pleasing uni forced to bite the dust by baseball's over-emphasis on tradition. I understand the original eight in each league having classic looks, but why should teams that were founded (or at least came of age) in the 70s have to shoehorn their identities into standards that were set long before they were around? At least when you turned on the TV back in the day, you could easily idenify the Jays, along with the Astros, Brewers, Royals and Padres because they all had unique looks. With the exception of the Padres roads, how often can you say that now?

The Blue Jays replaced these uniforms with sets that were anything but traditional. It's been easy to identify the non-traditional Blue Jays since 2004: they're the ones that look like crap.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yet another aesthetically pleasing uni forced to bite the dust by baseball's over-emphasis on tradition. I understand the original eight in each league having classic looks, but why should teams that were founded (or at least came of age) in the 70s have to shoehorn their identities into standards that were set long before they were around? At least when you turned on the TV back in the day, you could easily idenify the Jays, along with the Astros, Brewers, Royals and Padres because they all had unique looks. With the exception of the Padres roads, how often can you say that now?

The Blue Jays replaced these uniforms with sets that were anything but traditional. It's been easy to identify the non-traditional Blue Jays since 2004: they're the ones that look like crap.

Don't forget the 97-03 set, those were more traditional than the current uniforms - especially 01-03 with the piping, etc.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Don't forget the 97-03 set, those were more traditional than the current uniforms - especially 01-03 with the piping, etc.

If by "etc.", you mean "The 'roided-up, tattooed T-bird on the front of a faux vest", you and I have quite different notions of what constitutes "traditional".

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If by "etc.", you mean "The 'roided-up, tattooed T-bird on the front of a faux vest", you and I have quite different notions of what constitutes "traditional".

What about what constitutes what I actually said? Would you not agree that "those were more traditional than the current uniforms"?

---

Chris Creamer

The 97-03 Blue Jays stuff was, at heart, just a sprucing-up of the original stuff. I wouldn't call it very traditional. I think the Blue Jays have been progressive in their design from day one, to varying degrees of success.

What about what constitutes what I actually said? Would you not agree that "those were more traditional than the current uniforms"?

Well, yes. But in fairness, the Jays' current set is a hodgepodge of ass. The 1998 Diamondbacks look traditional by comparison.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well, yes. But in fairness, the Jays' current set is a hodgepodge of ass. The 1998 Diamondbacks look traditional by comparison.

Ha!

Do we agree that the current road uniforms are at least a step somewhat in the right direction? Perhaps without the maple leaf on the sleeve? Add on a home version of that and I think you got a solid set.

---

Chris Creamer

Ha!

Do we agree that the current road uniforms are at least a step somewhat in the right direction? Perhaps without the maple leaf on the sleeve? Add on a home version of that and I think you got a solid set.

Agreed.

Make the player name font a non-beveled version of that Agency derivative they use for the wordmark and numbers, put "BLUE JAYS" on the home whites in a style that matches "TORONTO" on the roads, and you're making strides. I'd love to see a hat that gets rid of the "J" and just features the bird's head front and center, but that's probably unlikely.

Still not topping the '92-'93 look, but at least then you've got a uniform that's somewhat uniform.

Yeah, the roads aren't so bad. I'd prefer blue hats and socks, maybe dark blue beveling rather than black, but the roads are a big improvement. Still, they're better off just rethinking the World Series uniforms.

Though I don't care for the 97-03 uniforms much, I can see where they were going with them: the old Blue Jays script, while great when encircling the logo, looked kind of inconsequential on the uniforms and needed a second color. They must've had the same concern about one-color block letters as I did. They felt the blue jay itself needed updating; I disagree. For some reason, the execution fell short, but they were right in trying to improve the World Series stuff.

Make the player name font a non-beveled version of that Agency derivative they use for the wordmark and numbers, put "BLUE JAYS" on the home whites in a style that matches "TORONTO" on the roads, and you're making strides. I'd love to see a hat that gets rid of the "J" and just features the bird's head front and center, but that's probably unlikely.

That would be great if they would do that. You know when people are buying their road uniforms ( or at least prefer them over their homes ) you know its time to change up the homes to match the road uniforms.

At least bring back the Blue in the Jays. Like the commentary said when watching the game that day when they where wearing their 92-93 uniforms "they are the Blue Jays again". Not only that but the uniforms made the stadium not look so out of place. Have a very blue stadium then you have these black uniforms, looks very odd lol.

Like you said as well hopefully take the "J" out of the Blue Jay, if not that just upgrade the bird its self, and maybe come out with a secondary logo to add onto the jerseys. But one can only dream. At least it would help in merchandise selling seeing they are in "rebuild mode", but thats another story.

4kv29i.jpg

Colorwerx, those examples you showed us on the last page are of the 'blocked' wordmark the Jay's had before switching to the 'curved' style. Is it possible that this is why you think the color may be off? Did they change to a different shade of blue when they went to the more curvy letters? Doubtful, but just curious.

Ignoring the awful cap logo, I don't really think these graphite caps were that far away from being a good looking hat. A blue bill would've gone a long way to making them more palatable. These were photoshopped by yours truly.

bluejayscapbluebill.png

delgadobluejays.png

as they were actually worn, these caps are this decade's version of the Marlins' teal hats. A little too unique and out there to be widely accepted.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Ignoring the awful cap logo, I don't really think these graphite caps were that far away from being a good looking hat. A blue bill would've gone a long way to making them more palatable. These were photoshopped by yours truly.

as they were actually worn, these caps are this decade's version of the Marlins' teal hats. A little too unique and out there to be widely accepted.

I teared up a bit to see that someone other than myself is showing love for the Graphite.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again, the current Jays look isn't too far away from being great.

More graphite + more blue + better and consistent numbering & lettering = a great unique look in the MLB.

McCarthy, you've inspired me to get my quest for the perfect current Jays look started again.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Archived