Blue Jays wearing retro whites today

SLAM

Custom NOB lettering and some general tweaks here and there (no white-paneled hats) would make this awesome.

I say no to the white panel hats AND custom NOB lettering...there's already too much of that going on. Block lettering for NOB is just fine.

Yeah. The road version of this set is one of my favorite uniforms of all time. Something about how "TORONTO" is centered on the jersey just looks better than having two separate words divided by the placket, as it is on the home.

They could lose the bird on the front though.

I'd move the bird patch to the sleeve, and add a front number.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, they got it right the first time. I like the updated lettering from the 1997 rebrand, but the second blue jay never looked right to me.

As for "custom lettering," the rest of the uniform elements are too progressive for plain old block letters. They look like an afterthought. Modern design calls for harmony between elements.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm waiting on a confirmation of this, but I'm pretty sure those uniforms were from 1977-1988 era, not 1989-1996.

The Light Blue trim color is not what they wore in 1992...it was modified in '89 to match the Turquoise in the primary logo.

I'm waiting on a confirmation of this, but I'm pretty sure those uniforms were from 1977-1988 era, not 1989-1996.

The Light Blue trim color is not what they wore in 1992...it was modified in '89 to match the Turquoise in the primary logo.

That's impossible. The whites they wore in those years were pullovers with no NOB.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

To add on to what Braden said, not only were the 77-88 uniforms pullovers but the logo was centred below the script rather than off to the right... also this would've been an attempt at 89-93 as the white panel cap was gone partway though the '93 season.

But you're probably right about the blue being wrong.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

begs the question "why in the hell did they ever change in the first place????"

just wonderful. bring 'em back fulltime!

NO!!! I hated this logo, the (in case you didn't know Toronto is in Canada) overly large maple leaf brings too much red into their set. Then they think its OK to have red bills on their caps, maybe a red alt and so we trade the Black Jays for the Red Jays.

When they switched the the button down jerseys with grey roads they were almost perfect, when they retired the white fron hat and used the solid for both home and away, perfection was achieved. Every uniform move (and probably roster mover too) since then has been down grade, down grade, down grade!!!

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

begs the question "why in the hell did they ever change in the first place????"

just wonderful. bring 'em back fulltime!

NO!!! I hated this logo, the (in case you didn't know Toronto is in Canada) overly large maple leaf brings too much red into their set. Then they think its OK to have red bills on their caps, maybe a red alt and so we trade the Black Jays for the Red Jays.

When they switched the the button down jerseys with grey roads they were almost perfect, when they retired the white fron hat and used the solid for both home and away, perfection was achieved. Every uniform move (and probably roster mover too) since then has been down grade, down grade, down grade!!!

So you would rather them be the Toronto Black/Graphite Jays? I'd much rather go for the old logo, with a nice big fat red Maple Leaf, then the continued destruction of this team's uniforms/logos.

The maple leaf in the original Blue Jays logo isn't that big. He must've thought someone was advocating bringing back the 1997 Blue Jays stuff. I agree, don't do that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yet another aesthetically pleasing uni forced to bite the dust by baseball's over-emphasis on tradition. I understand the original eight in each league having classic looks, but why should teams that were founded (or at least came of age) in the 70s have to shoehorn their identities into standards that were set long before they were around? At least when you turned on the TV back in the day, you could easily idenify the Jays, along with the Astros, Brewers, Royals and Padres because they all had unique looks. With the exception of the Padres roads, how often can you say that now?

Are those the regular white pants? Also, noticed no MLB logo on the back of the jerseys. I assume they just wore the same retro hats/helmets as the powder blues.

They wore the regular home pants, notice the single stripe - the actual throwback pants would've had a double stripe, much thicker too.

No MLB logo on the back, I have a feeling they just took the replicas off the rack at the team store and stuck 'em on the players.

---

Chris Creamer

OK. Here's the uniform script the Jays were apparently wearing last night:

TorontoBlueJays_AUS_2009-9999.png

The Light Blue trim on those uniforms match the Light Blue in the Jays' logo.

Here is what was actually worn between 1989 and 1996 (Turquoise in the logo and uniform trim instead of Light Blue):

TorontoBlueJays_HUS_1988-1996.png

Went to the game tonight and it just seemed right seeing those out on the field again.

I'll echo this. I was at the game, too, and was thrilled to see these. I don't follow baseball too closely, so it was a surprise for me to see the Jays take the field in these beauties.

They were pretty tight-lipped about it... I had a hunch they would so I asked around. All my "in-Dome" sources just assumed they would be wearing the powder blues, it wasn't until I saw a bat-boy in the Jays dugout wearing the white pants (instead of the regular powder blue pants) did I figure they would be wearing them.

You didn't ask me :P

1zqy8ok.gif

Went to the game tonight and it just seemed right seeing those out on the field again.

I'll echo this. I was at the game, too, and was thrilled to see these. I don't follow baseball too closely, so it was a surprise for me to see the Jays take the field in these beauties.

They were pretty tight-lipped about it... I had a hunch they would so I asked around. All my "in-Dome" sources just assumed they would be wearing the powder blues, it wasn't until I saw a bat-boy in the Jays dugout wearing the white pants (instead of the regular powder blue pants) did I figure they would be wearing them.

Ha, true... You still working where you always have been? Haven't seen you this season.

---

Chris Creamer

Ha, true... You still working where you always have been? Haven't seen you this season.

I got promoted kinda. Now I'm up on the 500 level patrolling, even got myself a radio :D

To be fair I didn't know for sure they were using the 92 shirts, but I had heard they were doing something different for this friday.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived