Vancouver Clippers version 2

DrJack

About a year ago, I found this forum and was inspired to create a set of logos and jerseys for my fantasy basketball team. A year later I've decided to give my team an update. I took over the Los Angeles Clippers in a keeper league and decided I wanted to move them to Vancouver for a fresh start. I kept the name because it actually had some history behind it and it was equally appropriate in Vancouver as it was in LA.

My first set of logos was a jumbled mess. I got a lot of criticism (rightly so I suppose) for the color combination which just didn't contrast enough. In the new set I darkened red slightly, darkened the "sea green" a lot (basically navy now), and added a bright "icy" blue for contrast.

In my first design I thought it would be cool for the anchor to look like a tattoo you would see on a sailor, but I now think that the logo should be sleek and modern and not look like a drawing. The text is also sleeker imo.

Thats enough text, just judge for yourself. Here is the old design for reference: Vancouver Clips v.1

ClippersLogoSheet-1.png

Jerseys will come later when I've nailed down the logos.

I like your logo, I really do but the outlining on the Clippers wordmark doesn?t match the rest of the logo, and it also seems to drown out your Canadian leaf to the point where you can?t make it out. I don?t know, I think you may need to reposition the Clippers wordmark completely for this to work.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I think a version without the basketball behind it may look pretty good - would at least give it a unique shape.

I also wonder it it might look better without the beveling - I'm sure there are some applications that would require a bevel-free design.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

this could be a real team. have the LA clippers move north to Vancouver, and there you go Vancouver Grizzlies fans, the Vancouver Clippers!

this is a really sweet concept though. the things I noticed have already been said, so good start.

lrg_6444e0b331f54e979d389637de158186.jpg

All primary logos don't have to have a wordmark, you could make like a hockey team and use what you call "secondary" as the primary. I agree with davidson, the wordmark really pales in comparison to the excellent rendering around it. Other than that, no real complaints, you worked the leaf in flawlessly to flow with the anchor, one other suggestion would be to drop the VAN from the tertiary.

About a year ago, I found this forum and was inspired to create a set of logos and jerseys for my fantasy basketball team. A year later I've decided to give my team an update. I took over the Los Angeles Clippers in a keeper league and decided I wanted to move them to Vancouver for a fresh start. I kept the name because it actually had some history behind it and it was equally appropriate in Vancouver as it was in LA.

My first set of logos was a jumbled mess. I got a lot of criticism (rightly so I suppose) for the color combination which just didn't contrast enough. In the new set I darkened red slightly, darkened the "sea green" a lot (basically navy now), and added a bright "icy" blue for contrast.

In my first design I thought it would be cool for the anchor to look like a tattoo you would see on a sailor, but I now think that the logo should be sleek and modern and not look like a drawing. The text is also sleeker imo.

Thats enough text, just judge for yourself. Here is the old design for reference: Vancouver Clips v.1

ClippersLogoSheet-1.png

Logo.png

This is the first thing your logo reminded me of. Not accusing at all, of course; however, the actual anchors are pretty similar.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

ClippersLogoSheet-1.png

I also thought the same as vicfurth, but just that it was similiar.

Anyways, I'm curious why you made Clippers run across the center of the logo and not around the bottom to compliment Vancouver on the top?

ClippersLogoSheet-1.png

Logo.png

This is the first thing your logo reminded me of. Not accusing at all, of course; however, the actual anchors are pretty similar.

I definitely used that logo as a point of reference and probably should have said so. They are very different logos and my original features an anchor with a VC behind it which I posted over a year ago, so you can see I didn't try to rip anyone off. I was however stuck on how to give my logo any depth and was struck by how clean the beveling looked on that Islanders one. I gave my anchor essentially the same bevel treatment as the Islanders.

The script across the middle is something that I am still unsure about and something that a lot of you guys mentioned. I like the look of the smaller "VANCOUVER" across the top, but I do agree that the "CLIPPERS" is a bit distracting. I tried it at the bottom but I felt it gave the whole logo a more complete feel in the middle. At the bottom it looked just like a tacked on extra imo.

elliott mentioned not having any script on the primary (using the secondary as a primary), and that is an option. Every single NBA primary however says the team name and all but one or two also say the city. That is just how basketball logos are and that is what I was using as a precedent. By contrast, almost no NFL team uses text in primary logos (because they end up on helmets).

I'll try some different options with the text and post those as soon as I can. I really appreciate all the C+C, thanks guys.

ClippersLogoSheet-1.png

Logo.png

Great looking Clippers logo, I truly like it.

There is something that I see which I find a small issue with.

The anchor is a rigid (metal) item. Yet parts of the word mark are both above and below parts of the anchor.

Perhaps a subtile "wave" or "ribbon-like" warp to the name would relieve the conflict in my view.

Again subtle is the key!

You added a wisp on depth with the arrangement of anchor & text, so IMO between the two elements,

something has "got to give" a bit for true depth perception.

Keep up the great work!!!

P.S. The Islanders (another fantastic design) concept did not have the same issue.

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm really having trouble with this word mark. I do think it interferes a little bit with the rest of the logo, but I don't want to ditch it completely because I think an NBA primary needs a word mark (28/30 currently say city and team, 2/30 say one or the other, and not a single primary NBA logo is wordless). I mocked up a few different variations on what I already have. The first ('A') is the original logo and the rest have been tweaked.

ClippersPrimaryLogoVARIATIONS-1.png

why not Clippers across the top and Vancouver on the bottom then you get the balance of red and balance of weight in the logo

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

Yeah, I can see you're having problems positioning the wordmark on B and C. The way the elements are lined up in this logo make it really hard too. I'm not a big fan of the wordmark being covered in B and C. So if the "Vancouver" wordmark has to stay, I recommend just having the "Clippers" wordmark contour and wrap around the bottom part of the anchor.

Here is a version where it wraps up from the bottom. I can't seem to get the stroke right in illustrator with this version.

ClippersPrimary7.png

Having taken a better look at how text will wrap around your anchor shape in Illustrator, I think this is probably the best way to go.

clippers_text_wrap_example.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just not getting it. Is there a way in illustrator to get the text to follow a line that is 'U' shaped like that? I can make a circle and get the text to follow that line in an upside-down 'U' shape, but not the other way around.

When I arc the text (using the warp tool) the stroke gets all distorted, like the one I just posted.

I'm going to move on to the jerseys and come back to this.

If anyone has a good basketball jersey template I could use, that would be awesome. My current one is BAD. Any advice on getting my text to do what I want would be welcome as well.

Archived