WNBA Lowering the Rim a Good Idea?

Dodger

I have read articles and listen to radio shows and it seems like the idea of lowering the rim so players can dunk is gaining interest. They already use a smaller basketball and the three-point line is moved in, so lowering the rim can't be bad could it? I can see that it would bring in more fans and money to the now ad-injected league but then again you have to think of the players. I'm sure they would be insulted if the rim was lowered, and it would basically create a whole new era for stats (this player played with a ten foot rim, but she played with the 7-8-9 foot rim) I don't know, I'm not against the idea but I'm not all for it either. And I know it probably wouldn't happen anyway. But what are your thoughts?

LosAngelesLakers.pngLosAngelesDodgers.pngSanDiegoChargers.png

thanks to crkraider22

I have read articles and listen to radio shows and it seems like the idea of lowering the rim so players can dunk is gaining interest. They already use a smaller basketball and the three-point line is moved in, so lowering the rim can't be bad could it? I can see that it would bring in more fans and money to the now ad-injected league but then again you have to think of the players. I'm sure they would be insulted if the rim was lowered, and it would basically create a whole new era for stats (this player played with a ten foot rim, but she played with the 7-8-9 foot rim) I don't know, I'm not against the idea but I'm not all for it either. And I know it probably wouldn't happen anyway. But what are your thoughts?

You do not lower the rims. Even at international play, they use a smaller ball, and I think they use the international three-point line. But the rim's got to stay at ten feet.

LvZYtbZ.png

A lower rim occurred with the Liberty Basketball Association and it did not last 2 seasons. Other basketball will not change so they will have players shooting a lower trajectory which they are used to for their lives only for ...dunks. The ball is smaller because most women's hands are smaller (28.5). If you lover the rim, also make the court smaller.

Plus, many NCAA players come from Australia, or Commonwealth Nations which play Netball. The height of the netball goal is at 10 feet (3.05m) like basketball.

Fair points, I can agree. Hmm, maybe I should rephrase this... would you like to see the WNBA lower the rims so players could dunk? My answer to this question, is yes. For the couple games it would probably last, I think it would be fun to watch.

thanks to crkraider22

Fair points, I can agree. Hmm, maybe I should rephrase this... would you like to see the WNBA lower the rims so players could dunk? My answer to this question, is yes. For the couple games it would probably last, I think it would be fun to watch.

It failed before. It will be failed again and seen as a gimmick. The Liberty League also had unisex unis to try for sex appeal, to no avail.

No no no.

If the rims are the same in the NCAA it should be in the WNBA.

Lowering the rims would strip the WNBA of any little legitimacy it still has.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Dude what is your problem.

My point is simple if the WNBA lowers the rims to have dunking they might as well fold the lead, because its legitimacy will be gone.

NCAA Men and Women shoot at the same rims, and its 10 feet same as the NBA, lowering it would take away any legitimacy the WNBA has.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

My point is simple if the WNBA lowers the rims to have dunking they might as well fold the lead, because its legitimacy will be gone.

NCAA Men and Women shoot at the same rims, and its 10 feet same as the NBA, lowering it would take away any legitimacy the WNBA has.

The items which you said were already mentioned nearly an hour before. While I do not have a problem with you, I have issues with either how you gather or promote the information that you give here for your site. The NCAA football thread is enough evidence. If your threads will less reliable as giving MegaMillions or The Big Game numbers, then just stop.

The items which you said were already mentioned nearly an hour before. While I do not have a problem with you, I have issues with either how you gather or promote the information that you give here for your site. The NCAA football thread is enough evidence. If your threads will less reliable as giving MegaMillions or The Big Game numbers, then just stop.

And what exactly are you adding to the thread by calling him out for not adding anything to the thread?

Lowering the rim may increase dunking, but dunking isn't going to save the game of women's basketball. If I want to see dunks I'll go watch the local high school boys games. Lowering the rim will only make the league more of a joke than it's already seen as.

So, maybe a fair question would be

"should the NCAA lower the rims for women's basketball"?

It's such a different game from the men's game... but should it be? Or should it be roughly the same game, except that the players don't have nuts? Not that I really care, but I'd vote for the latter. There's no reason to make an athletically-inferior (sorry, ladies) gender play with the same rules / equipment as the men.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Lowering the rim will only make the league more of a joke than it's already seen as.

So what do they have to lose? No one outside of Connecticut or Tennessee cares about women's basketball anyway, so why not take a chance?

philly.png

Lowering the rim will only make the league more of a joke than it's already seen as.

So what do they have to lose? No one outside of Connecticut or Tennessee cares about women's basketball anyway, so why not take a chance?

Touché. Honestly, the prospect of a woman dunking in a game doesn't make we want to go see a WNBA game any more than I did before (maybe raised my apathy from 99% to 98%). Maybe if chicks start hammering down windmill dunks and spins and stuff...maybe.

Not true!

In Detroit we love the Shock... oh wait we don't.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I think this thread was started just to give people an opportunity to bash women's basketball. Why even raise this question. No one is seriously thinking about doing this in the WNBA, NCAA, or HS. Maybe the middle school down the street...maybe.

I do think it's funny that some of the guys doing the bashing are the same ones that get all buttsore when someone bashes the stupid irrelevant niche sports they slobber all over.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think this thread was started just to give people an opportunity to bash women's basketball. Why even raise this question. No one is seriously thinking about doing this in the WNBA, NCAA, or HS. Maybe the middle school down the street...maybe.

I do think it's funny that some of the guys doing the bashing are the same ones that get all buttsore when someone bashes the stupid irrelevant niche sports they slobber all over.

I wasn't bashing it... I'm merely saying that if they're going to make a drastic change to attempt to bring in more fans, then they should try it. Every sport / league needs a drawing point. The WNBA doesn't have it. So if they try one and it fails, it's not like they'll be any worse off than they would be currently.

philly.png

I didn't start this to bash womens' basketball. In fact from the few games I have watched, I respect what they do. I just thought it was an interesting topic that would generate some opinions. It's not the best idea, but I guarentee more people would watch. Who says this needs to be compared to the NCAA? The WNBA is it's own league. Who wouldn't want to see Candace Parker break away and throw down a windmill?

thanks to crkraider22

Bill Simmons talked about this at length on one of his lastest podcasts. I really don't see the WNBA doing this, but it will all come down to either

A ) Keeping the true competitve rules of basketball intact at 10'.

or

B ) Wanting to put butts in the seats and actually get some attention. Dunks -> highlights on Sportscenter -> more exposure -> more sponsorship money -> more $$$.

I'm all for it.

Archived