NBA Season Thread

Gary

Here's my take on LeBron going to New York. I'm going to set aside all the PR issues, the question of how competitive the team will be, and the ability to play for a title. Maybe it's as simple as this; maybe it's been LeBron's lifelong dream to play in New York. When it's all said and done the truth may be that he'd just rather play for The Knicks.

If that turns out to be the case then who could argue with his decision? I know I wouldn't. I'd just do what I did the last time my favorite NBA player got traded. Just like I dropped Milwaukee for Los Angeles, I'd drop Cleveland for New York. :D

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Lebron does in fact land in New York next season they will automatically be a Playoff team. The drop-off in the Eastern Conference is drastically larger than the Western Conf. The Knicks would have Gallinari, Chandler, Sergio Rodriguez, Toney Douglas, JR Giddens, Bill Walker, and Eddie Curry's still under contract, so adding Lebron and/or Bosh(Boozer/Amare/Wade) would make the team a legitimate contender in the East. If you look at the Bulls roster from their championship days there were 2 All-Stars(one being the best of all-time), 1 rebounder(Rodman) 1 solid wingman(Kukoc), and a slew of "know-their-role" role players(Harper, Longley, Kerr, Brown, Caffey, and co.). If you were to add Lebron and "other all-star" and possibly add a TMac(re-sign), Ben Wallace, and a few low $$$ veterans the team could turn into a powerhouse. It's all about the mesh/chemistry of the team. The 1991-93 & 96-98 Chicago Bulls teams were a machine, the players all knew their given roles. I don't buy into all this crap about "Lebron just needs more help in Cleveland", Lebron has more talented player than Jordan had with the Bulls, Jordan just knew how to get each player to play at their best at their designated position. This comes with age and experience. Lebron is in a elite class of the best to ever play the game, over time Lebron will mature and really be a scary player. We have yet to see the absolute best in him(that's scary being a Magic fan).

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

I don't buy into all this crap about "Lebron just needs more help in Cleveland",

Nor should anyone buy into it. The Cavs have made quite a few deals trying to improve the team. If LeBron leaves, the last reason I want to hear is that it was because The Cavs weren't trying hard enough.

BB52Big.jpg

Lebron has more talented player than Jordan had with the Bulls, Jordan just knew how to get each player to play at their best at their designated position.

By punching them in the face, evidently. Oh and maybe as a whole the Cavaliers' supporting cast is pretty good, but there's no player on there as good as Scottie Pippen was. And no, not Shaq at age 38.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Lebron has more talented player than Jordan had with the Bulls, Jordan just knew how to get each player to play at their best at their designated position.

By punching them in the face, evidently. Oh and maybe as a whole the Cavaliers' supporting cast is pretty good, but there's no player on there as good as Scottie Pippen was. And no, not Shaq at age 38.

And that's the point isn't it? In today's NBA name one player of Pippen's caliber that is ready and willing to go play second fiddle to LeBron James. As I said earlier, people act like it's just a matter of deciding which "Pippen" The Cavs (or whatever team James ends up with) want and then signing him or trading for him. If it were that easy everyone would be doing it.

Maybe it's time for LeBron and the fans to finally realize that there isn't a "Pippen" available. Seems to me that The Lakers won a title without a "Pippen" to Kobe's "Jordan." Is anyone here seriously going to argue that Lamar Odom or Pau Gasol are the equivalent of a Scottie Pippen?

Pippen was way more than just Jordan's sidekick. If memory serves, the first season after Jordan "retired" to play baseball, those Pippen led Bulls still won 55 games and made a decent run in the playoffs. Something tells me that the Lamar Odom/Pau Gasol Lakers wouldn't fare as well.

The point I'm trying to make is that maybe it's time for people to realize that a.) Scottie Pippens don't grow on trees. and b.) anyone as good as Pippen today is already leading his own team.

BB52Big.jpg

And that's the point isn't it? In today's NBA name one player of Pippen's caliber that is ready and willing to go play second fiddle to LeBron James. As I said earlier, people act like it's just a matter of deciding which "Pippen" The Cavs (or whatever team James ends up with) want and then signing him or trading for him. If it were that easy everyone would be doing it.

Maybe it's time for LeBron and the fans to finally realize that there isn't a "Pippen" available. Seems to me that The Lakers won a title without a "Pippen" to Kobe's "Jordan." Is anyone here seriously going to argue that Lamar Odom or Pau Gasol are the equivalent of a Scottie Pippen?

Pippen was way more than just Jordan's sidekick. If memory serves, the first season after Jordan "retired" to play baseball, those Pippen led Bulls still won 55 games and made a decent run in the playoffs. Something tells me that the Lamar Odom/Pau Gasol Lakers wouldn't fare as well.

The point I'm trying to make is that maybe it's time for people to realize that a.) Scottie Pippens don't grow on trees. and b.) anyone as good as Pippen today is already leading his own team.

This isn't making fun of you in the least bit, so please don't take it this way, but I'm going to try and turn "Scottie Pippens don't grow on trees" into my new catchphrase.

This isn't making fun of you in the least bit, so please don't take it this way, but I'm going to try and turn "Scottie Pippens don't grow on trees" into my new catchphrase.

No worries. I'd be honored...I think. I know it looks pretty silly but I just couldn't think of a better way to state that there isn't a bunch of Scottie Pippens just waiting around for a call from The Cavs.

Use it however you'd like. I've said dumber things than that.

BB52Big.jpg

No worries. I'd be honored...I think. I know it looks pretty silly but I just couldn't think of a better way to state that there isn't a bunch of Scottie Pippens just waiting around for a call from The Cavs.

Use it however you'd like. I've said dumber things than that.

Too bad cloning technology is years away, because I would watch that reality show.

They don't grow on trees and they don't tip.

I'm picturing a futuristic army general briefing his troops on what to expect when they encounter the Scottie Pippens.

Scottie Pippens have tremendous lung capacity. Never engage a Scottie Pippen underwater.

Here's my take on LeBron going to New York. I'm going to set aside all the PR issues, the question of how competitive the team will be, and the ability to play for a title. Maybe it's as simple as this; maybe it's been LeBron's lifelong dream to play in New York. When it's all said and done the truth may be that he'd just rather play for The Knicks.

If that turns out to be the case then who could argue with his decision? I know I wouldn't. I'd just do what I did the last time my favorite NBA player got traded. Just like I dropped Milwaukee for Los Angeles, I'd drop Cleveland for New York. :D

Damn, you ARE old! :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Damn, you ARE old! :P

I am indeed my friend. Just to give you an idea, I was watching the night Kareem hit a last second skyhook to keep his team alive in the playoffs against The Celtics. The team Kareem saved at the last second that night? Nope, not The Lakers. It was The Milwaukee Bucks. I can't remember if it was live or tape delay on CBS. You can see it here. Go to the 6:30 mark of the clip. It was the 1974 NBA Finals Game 6.

When I say I was a "back in the day" NBA fan I really mean back in the day. I'm not talking Kareem and Magic and The Lakers. I'm talking Kareem and Oscar and The Bucks. Man what a team. Kareem, The Big O, Lucius Allen, Bobby Dandridge, Jon McGlocklin. .

I may not know much about all the latest NBA stuff but I have all you youngsters beat when it comes to historical perspective. :P

EDIT: I was just thinking about how my friends and I were dying to see The ABA back then. We couldn't get it on TV so we had to settle for articles and trading cards. I remember being a Kentucky Colonels fan and Artis Gilmore was my second favorite player yet I had never seen them play. We were so psyched after the merger because it meant we actually got to see Doc, George Gervin, George McGinnis, David Thompson, Gilmore, etc. play basketball on TV. I can't tell you how bummed I was the first time I saw Julius Erving on TV. It was because he had cut his hair. I was expecting New York Nets Doc and I got Sixers Doc.

BB52Big.jpg

They don't grow on trees and they don't tip.

I'm picturing a futuristic army general briefing his troops on what to expect when they encounter the Scottie Pippens.

Scottie Pippens have tremendous lung capacity. Never engage a Scottie Pippen underwater.

Well done boys. You're cracking me up. Glad I could help.

BB52Big.jpg

What is everyone's thoughts on the big names this offseason and what they do?

Bosh,Wade,Lebron, Joe Johnson, Amare, Richard Jefferso, Paul Pierce, Manu Ginobil, Ray Allen, Dirk, Carlos Boozer

Teams with most cap space- OKC, Minnesota,LA Clippers, Sacramento, Chicago, Washington, Miami, New Jersey, New York

Bosh,Wade,Lebron, Joe Johnson, Amare, Richard Jefferso, Paul Pierce, Manu Ginobil, Ray Allen, Dirk, Carlos Boozer

Teams with most cap space- OKC, Minnesota,LA Clippers, Sacramento, Chicago, Washington, Miami, New Jersey, New York

Ummm......theres like a 2-page discussion going on about Lebron's future/underwater Scottie Pippens.

My thoughts: Please dont blow this offseason, Gar/Pax. Derrick needs a running mate not named Luol or Joakim

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Ummm......theres like a 2-page discussion going on about Lebron's future/underwater Scottie Pippens.

My thoughts: Please dont blow this offseason, Gar/Pax. Derrick needs a running mate not named Luol or Joakim

Damn, this thing is really taking on a life of it's own. Who knows? I may end up as an entry in the CCSLC Dictionary thread.

BB52Big.jpg

I officially apologize to the Atlanta Hawks for cursing them the hell out last night, after they become the first team in the East to win in Utah, & get their first win there since '93.

7177.jpg

hug.jpg

I officially apologize to the Atlanta Hawks for cursing them the hell out last night, after they become the first team in the East to win in Utah, & get their first win there since '93.

7177.jpg

It takes a good man to admit when he's wrong Flame. :D

BB52Big.jpg

If that turns out to be the case then who could argue with his decision? I know I wouldn't. I'd just do what I did the last time my favorite NBA player got traded. Just like I dropped Milwaukee for Los Angeles, I'd drop Cleveland for New York. biggrin.gif

Damn, you ARE old! tongue.gif

I am indeed my friend. Just to give you an idea, I was watching the night Kareem hit a last second skyhook to keep his team alive in the playoffs against The Celtics. The team Kareem saved at the last second that night? Nope, not The Lakers. It was The Milwaukee Bucks. I can't remember if it was live or tape delay on CBS. You can see it here. Go to the 6:30 mark of the clip. It was the 1974 NBA Finals Game 6.

When I say I was a "back in the day" NBA fan I really mean back in the day. I'm not talking Kareem and Magic and The Lakers. I'm talking Kareem and Oscar and The Bucks. Man what a team. Kareem, The Big O, Lucius Allen, Bobby Dandridge, Jon McGlocklin. .

I may not know much about all the latest NBA stuff but I have all you youngsters beat when it comes to historical perspective. tongue.gif

EDIT: I was just thinking about how my friends and I were dying to see The ABA back then. We couldn't get it on TV so we had to settle for articles and trading cards. I remember being a Kentucky Colonels fan and Artis Gilmore was my second favorite player yet I had never seen them play. We were so psyched after the merger because it meant we actually got to see Doc, George Gervin, George McGinnis, David Thompson, Gilmore, etc. play basketball on TV. I can't tell you how bummed I was the first time I saw Julius Erving on TV. It was because he had cut his hair. I was expecting New York Nets Doc and I got Sixers Doc.

We officially have our own Abe Simpson :P

If that turns out to be the case then who could argue with his decision? I know I wouldn't. I'd just do what I did the last time my favorite NBA player got traded. Just like I dropped Milwaukee for Los Angeles, I'd drop Cleveland for New York. biggrin.gif

Damn, you ARE old! tongue.gif

I may not know much about all the latest NBA stuff but I have all you youngsters beat when it comes to historical perspective. tongue.gif

We officially have our own Abe Simpson :P

That title was locked up by that bulldogbark55 guy a long ass time ago...I think that's his name.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived