NBA Season Thread

Gary

Flame, you just "lit a fire" under them, that's all. No pun intended. I had them written off myself going into Monday night. You don't wanna lose to GS, but at least the big road losing streak in Salt Lake is over.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is everyone's thoughts on the big names this offseason and what they do?

Bosh,Wade,Lebron, Joe Johnson, Amare, Richard Jefferso, Paul Pierce, Manu Ginobil, Ray Allen, Dirk, Carlos Boozer

Teams with most cap space- OKC, Minnesota,LA Clippers, Sacramento, Chicago, Washington, Miami, New Jersey, New York

Ummm......theres like a 2-page discussion going on about Lebron's future/underwater Scottie Pippens.

My thoughts: Please dont blow this offseason, Gar/Pax. Derrick needs a running mate not named Luol or Joakim

Well, another running mate besides Luol or Joakim. Those two seem like really solid pieces of an exciting core to add to. Assuming LeBron isn't realistic, I love D-Wade on the Bulls. Not just because he's a Chicago guy, but because of his makeup. I love Bosh, but I just think Wade is the Franchise Player on a perennial title contender. Bosh, in my opinion, is the Franchise Player on a top-4 seed. Anyway, I think the ideal situation is to get a 1A in there, so Rose is the 1B. Wade's not LeBron, but Rose could be a very effective Underwater Scottie Pippen.

I have this sneaky suspicion that OKC, Minnesota, Sacramento and the Clippers will be the premier destinations for the top free agents. If the players really care about winning all of these teams have the framework to add a superstar and become a contender with a deep bench. Adding Chris Bosh to OKC would make them a SCARY team. Wade or Lebron to Minnesota or LA would make each of those teams great contenders. Sacramento could look to Amare to give Tyreke an athletic Big to team with. I dont really think its simply New York or Chicago. There other teams that have great talent and would instantly become contenders by adding one of the premier free agents. It isnt as simple as... New York has enough $ for 2 guys. But, realistically what else do they have? Where a team like Minnesota may have up to 4 first round draft picks, has the rights to Ricky Rubio, also has a young blossoming pg in Jonny Flynn, a potential all-star in Al Jefferson and a very solid athletic PF in Kevin Love. That is more enticing than simply playing in New York to me.

I have this sneaky suspicion that OKC, Minnesota, Sacramento and the Clippers will be the premier destinations for the top free agents. If the players really care about winning all of these teams have the framework to add a superstar and become a contender with a deep bench. Adding Chris Bosh to OKC would make them a SCARY team. Wade or Lebron to Minnesota or LA would make each of those teams great contenders. Sacramento could look to Amare to give Tyreke an athletic Big to team with. I dont really think its simply New York or Chicago. There other teams that have great talent and would instantly become contenders by adding one of the premier free agents. It isnt as simple as... New York has enough $ for 2 guys. But, realistically what else do they have? Where a team like Minnesota may have up to 4 first round draft picks, has the rights to Ricky Rubio, also has a young blossoming pg in Jonny Flynn, a potential all-star in Al Jefferson and a very solid athletic PF in Kevin Love. That is more enticing than simply playing in New York to me.

Your logic is sound. That said, none of it is ever going to happen.

BB52Big.jpg

Well it looks like T-Mac might be shutting it down again for awhile. He was having issues with his knee last night after banging it twice against a Bucks player. Atleast for the Knicks he's just an experiment. T-Mac is one player that had all the skill in the world to be one of the best to play the game but due to injuries and his inabillities to play alongside another legitimate scorer he will be just go down as another great name to play in the NBA, and nothing more.

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

All of the team you mention were under the cap before the season began. However, these teams will not be able to get one of the big names, but will rather give max money to a player on the level of Joe Johnson (a name free agent this summer), and regret it, rather than spreading it out more.

In addition, with the CBA hanging in peril, these teams may still wait as there is foolishness in signing a player for one season then have the CBA change entirely and you are stuck with one huge contract. SAC still has the perception of not a place where an elite player should play, plus their facility issues.

Realistically, I really do think that Bosh will go to OKC. He isnt a be-all-end-all solution but a great component in a contending team.

Ultimately, I think LeBron will go to New York. There are far better options for him to go other than the Knicks but the decision will really rest on the completion of this season. If the Cavs win the title, LeBron is gone. If not its 50/50.

Wade is hard to judge. After all the Heat will have $ to spend but will they commit to surrounding Dwayne with the talent he needs to succeed? He is a great player and obviously one of the best in the league but he needs a 'underwater Scottie Pippen' more-so than LeBron and that is dependent on the Pat Riley and the Miami management.

Amare is going to NYC or NJ. He seems like a prima-donna athlete that is looking to be in the spotlight and get his $ rather than a W.

I could see Joe Johnson jumping ship to Minnesota or Chicago. He will land somewhere where he can be the #1 guy some nights and be #2 or #3 other nights.

lol if you think the stinkin' Timberwolves are a destination for anyone that matters

I'd really like to hear why not? I'd counter with... why would anyone want to go to the Knicks or Nets or Clippers or Sacramento or OKC?

Well, much like people in general, NBA players don't want to go to Sacramento or Oklahoma City if they don't have to. Maybe the Thunder will land a middle-of-the-road free agent who wants to get on board with what they're building down there, but marquee players like Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade and you-know-who probably aren't going to settle down in the NBA backwaters, irrespective of the Timberwolves' boatload of draft picks or whatever. Win with Chicago or New York and you're looking at obscene millions and basketball immortality that the cowtowns don't offer, globalization and Peyton-in-Indy notwithstanding.

EDIT: oh obviously this goes for Boston and the Lakers too if they're planning a big-game safari this summer, which I'm not sure they are. Detroit to a lesser extent.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

lol if you think the stinkin' Timberwolves are a destination for anyone that matters

I'd really like to hear why not? I'd counter with... why would anyone want to go to the Knicks or Nets or Clippers or Sacramento or OKC?

The weather is not exactly the best in the winter. But then again neither is NY/NJ. The only reason I can see is exposure, guys like Lebron whether they admit it or not are about the exposure and limelight that a NYC brings.

Now Amare, I can see him going to Miami even if they don't re-sign Wade. He just recently bought a house there and really wanted to be traded to the Heat before the deadline deal fell-through. Amare doesn't strike me as the kind of player that wants to stand out in this league, he seems more like a player that would just fit in instead of take charge(IMO).

The weather is not exactly the best in the winter. But then again neither is NY/NJ. The only reason I can see is exposure, guys like Lebron whether they admit it or not are about the exposure and limelight that a NYC brings.

Now Amare, I can see him going to Miami even if they don't re-sign Wade. He just recently bought a house there and really wanted to be traded to the Heat before the deadline deal fell-through.

With all due respect, how can LeBron possibly be more exposed than he currently is? The only thing that going to NY gets him is a bigger pool of possible local endorsement dollars than he'd get in Cleveland. And I don't even know if he does local endorsements. He's arguably the biggest star athlete on the planet right now, and I don't see how NY can make him bigger.

I have a hard time understanding why basketball fans always lump Minnesota in categories with teams like OKC, Sacramento, Milwaukee and LAC. It is far more appealing marketing wise than places such as Utah, Portland, Indiana, Toronto, Orlando or Charlotte. I guess people fail to realize the corporations that are actually headquartered in Minnesota. Who wouldnt want to be a poster child for 3M, Best Buy, Target or General Mills? Granted the weather isnt the greatest... But basketball is played indoors, you get the summers off and there are 40+ road games a year. Minnesota isnt a top-3 destination but it very well could be a top-5 or -10. The Timberwolves themselves have not been the greatest but they more potential than any other bottom feeder team and they definitely should be considered a possible destination for the premium free agents. After all... we did lure in Brett Favre and managed to launch a lanky high schooler named Kevin Garnett into a $125 million dollar superstar.

Minneapolis-St. Paul just doesn't seem like much of an NBA town, or towns, as the case may be. It's no knock on the Twin Cities. Nobody knocks Miami for being the worst hockey town on the continent.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I have a hard time understanding why basketball fans always lump Minnesota in categories with teams like OKC, Sacramento, Milwaukee and LAC. It is far more appealing marketing wise than places such as Utah, Portland, Indiana, Toronto, Orlando or Charlotte. I guess people fail to realize the corporations that are actually headquartered in Minnesota. Who wouldnt want to be a poster child for 3M, Best Buy, Target or General Mills? Granted the weather isnt the greatest... But basketball is played indoors, you get the summers off and there are 40+ road games a year. Minnesota isnt a top-3 destination but it very well could be a top-5 or -10. The Timberwolves themselves have not been the greatest but they more potential than any other bottom feeder team and they definitely should be considered a possible destination for the premium free agents. After all... we did lure in Brett Favre and managed to launch a lanky high schooler named Kevin Garnett into a $125 million dollar superstar.

I agree with you, but what sounds good to you and me doesn't to the average young NBA player. Brett Favre is an "old school" player, he doesn't come off like a glitz and glamour kinda guy.

I don't get why people lump Toronto in with backwaters like Utah, Portland, Indiana, Charlotte and Minnesota.

1zqy8ok.gif

I don't get why people lump Toronto in with backwaters like Utah, Portland, Indiana, Charlotte and Minnesota.

The Raptors will NEVER be the #1 attraction in Toronto.

What is everyone's thoughts on the big names this offseason and what they do?

Bosh,Wade,Lebron, Joe Johnson, Amare, Richard Jefferso, Paul Pierce, Manu Ginobil, Ray Allen, Dirk, Carlos Boozer

Teams with most cap space- OKC, Minnesota,LA Clippers, Sacramento, Chicago, Washington, Miami, New Jersey, New York

Ummm......theres like a 2-page discussion going on about Lebron's future/underwater Scottie Pippens.

My thoughts: Please dont blow this offseason, Gar/Pax. Derrick needs a running mate not named Luol or Joakim

Well, another running mate besides Luol or Joakim. Those two seem like really solid pieces of an exciting core to add to. Assuming LeBron isn't realistic, I love D-Wade on the Bulls. Not just because he's a Chicago guy, but because of his makeup. I love Bosh, but I just think Wade is the Franchise Player on a perennial title contender. Bosh, in my opinion, is the Franchise Player on a top-4 seed. Anyway, I think the ideal situation is to get a 1A in there, so Rose is the 1B. Wade's not LeBron, but Rose could be a very effective Underwater Scottie Pippen.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but Luol is a very deceiving player. He puts up good stats and seems to do a lot of things, but he is by no means a franchise piece. He goes off in the first 10 minutes with 15-20 points, and disappears the rest of the game. He is afraid to take a big shot, and is an awful man-up defender. Noah, i like. Taj Gibson, I absolutely love. He is one of the smartest, well-mannered, determined athletes ive ever seen. And hes good too. What Ive seen out of Flip Murray and Hakim Warrick has been good, maybe keep one of them. Miller is a solid role player, but a defensive liability. Hinrich is just awesome in every sense of the word. Cares more about winning than anything, unfortunately his contract is huge.

Regardless, I feel a tandem signing of Joe Johnson and David Lee would be unbelievabull. (pun absolutely intended)

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Being the #2 attraction in the 4th biggest city in North America is pretty damn good, better than being the #4 attraction in Minneapolis. That and almost every game is broadcasted on national TV. This is added to the fact that Toronto is one of the most cosmopolitan and multicultural cities in the world. While many NBA players may not care about that, None of the "backwaters" you mentioned can compete with Toronto's nightlife.

1zqy8ok.gif

Being the #2 attraction in the 4th biggest city in North America is pretty damn good, better than being the #4 attraction in Minneapolis. That and almost every game is broadcasted on national TV. This is added to the fact that Toronto is one of the most cosmopolitan and multicultural cities in the world. While many NBA players may not care about that, None of the "backwaters" you mentioned can compete with Toronto's nightlife.

# 5, actually. Brett Favre's Wrangler commercials draw a pretty impressive crowd to their commercial shoots.

Archived