NBA Season Thread

Gary

So LeBron can go play with terrible teammates and have no chance at winning a title as the Knicks would become the team that's never bad enough to get a real talent in the draft?

Yeahm the Knicks of today are awful. However, the Knicks have a TON of money to shop with this offseason. If they can first lure in someone like Chris Bosh, then going to the Big Apple becomes even more appealing to LeBron. Cleveland has yet to prove that they will ever give LeBron the "Pippen" that he's long been waiting for, and if some other team can offer that, then you know he'd be more than willing to listen.

But LeBron and Chris Bosh won't win a title by themselves, as Jordan and Pippen didn't win a title by themselves, they had a great team. It was just led by two great players. LeBron's team right now is better than anything the Knicks will be able to assemble next year.

You don't think it's possible to asseble a team of superstars overnight and contend in the weak Eastern Conference?....

Have you forgotten how the 2007-08 Boston Celtics won their championship?

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So LeBron can go play with terrible teammates and have no chance at winning a title as the Knicks would become the team that's never bad enough to get a real talent in the draft?

Yeahm the Knicks of today are awful. However, the Knicks have a TON of money to shop with this offseason. If they can first lure in someone like Chris Bosh, then going to the Big Apple becomes even more appealing to LeBron. Cleveland has yet to prove that they will ever give LeBron the "Pippen" that he's long been waiting for, and if some other team can offer that, then you know he'd be more than willing to listen.

But LeBron and Chris Bosh won't win a title by themselves, as Jordan and Pippen didn't win a title by themselves, they had a great team. It was just led by two great players. LeBron's team right now is better than anything the Knicks will be able to assemble next year.

Have you forgotten how the 2007-08 Boston Celtics won their championship?

No, but have you seen the New York Knicks' roster? As you said, and everyone knows, the Knicks have the money to sign 2 top free agents. Boston had three big stars on that team, and had an up and coming point guard, Rajon Rondo, a great sixth man (James Posey), and veteran presence (PJ Brown) and three semi reliable young post players (Perkins, Davis, Powe). Say the Knicks sign James and Bosh. The will have Eddy Curry, whom no one can convince me is good. They won't be able to resign David Lee, and I've seen many a Knick fan lose faith in Wilson Chandler. But when LeBron has the potential to come to town, these guys are legends.

That said, I was not a fan of The Cavs making any trade period. I've always believed that when you have the best record in the league etc. you leave well enough alone. Regardless of the sport. I just don't like fixing something that ain't broke.

I can understand that. However, they clearly made the move (and in my opinion, rightfully so) for two reasons: (1) To prove to Lebron James they're serious about keeping him in town and going after a championship. That team wasn't good enough to win the title last year, and I don't think the addition of an aging (or at this point, aged) Shaquille O'Neal was going to guarantee anything. (2) The most important reason - to keep up with the Lakers, and to a lesser extent, the Magic. The Lakers are, when Kobe is healthy, the best team in the league by a huge margin. Cleveland needed to pick up a guy like Jamison or Stoudemire to match up well with guys like Lamar Odom and Rashard Lewis who can play the 3 or 4 spot, can stretch the floor, knock down jumpers, hit the three-ball and can play with their back to the basket. Anderson Verajao wasn't going to cut it. Jamison, once integrated, is a solid piece. Had they not made a move, I would've easily taken Orlando or Boston (if 100% healthy) in a 7-game series. More confusing moves among the East-elite were probably Orlando swapping Vince Carter for Hedo Turoglu in the offseason and Boston trading Eddie House (huuuuuge late-game guy who defends well) for Nate Robinson. I suppose it all depends on whether you look at the Cavs as something that "ain't broke," which clearly you do. I think a lot of people, myself included, see ANY team without a championship pedigree to be "broken" in comparison to a team like LA or Boston.

As for the Lebron-to-NY stuff... since I just can't shut my mouth on the subject :D... I think the T-Mac move makes it more attractive for him to jump ship. Not saying I think he will, or should for that matter, but think about it. Look at it from a player's perspective. Sure, on the one hand, Cleveland is ready to win NOW. Huge factor to stay. Veteran team that defends, got some nice pieces in Mo Williams and Antawn Jamison. So close before, and likely just as close for another couple of seasons. So staying is the clear favorite. BUT, if you're entertaining other options, which CLEARLY Lebron is (how much consideration is the question), New York is an incredible temptation. The city itself, playing at the Garden, the history, the market, the media... it's a nice package, but it's been debated a ton. So let's move away from that. From a pure basketball point of view, it's still attractive, despite the troubles.

(1) MSG packs it in. Look at the attendance figures. The Cavaliers have the 2nd best attendance in the league, rightfully so. The Knicks have the 5th best attendance in the league despite having made the playoffs once since 2002, being swept in said series, and having won 23-games twice. Point is, New Yorkers pack the Garden even when the team is awful. Rewind to the Pre-Lebron days... 2003 Cavaliers attendance was dead last, 29th, in the league. Hell, look at the attendance during the Lebron Era. Every season the Knicks have been in the Top 10 in attendance despite being, arguably, the worst franchise of the decade (shout out to the Clippers and Hawks). 2004, Knicks (5th), Cavs (9th); 2005, Knicks (5), Cavs (6); 2006, Knicks (6), Cavs (5); 2007, Knicks (8), Cavs (3); 2008, Knicks (10), Cavs (3); 2009, Knicks (7), Cavs (5). Point is, the Cavs HAVE to field a contending team for people to even consider going to the games. The Knicks just have to simply exist. The big guys like Lebron and Wade know this... whether it's a deciding factor or not, they're entirely aware of it. Wade moreso than Lebron... he plays in front of nobody routinely. That arena hasn't been a go-to spot since... well... the Knicks were in town in the late 90s.

(2) Coaching. I don't like Mike D'Antoni, but he knows what to do with Lebron James. Mike Brown, not so much. He's got the Cavs playing well, and playing defense... but his offensive scheme is atrocious. He has the team walking the ball up court - why on earth would you do that when you have the best two-way player in the league (arguably)? Let the man go to work the length of the court as often as possible. On top of that, much of the offense comes through Lebron. Half of the time, it's like the other 4 guys stand still and admire Lebron, which only puts more pressure on the man. That's one big difference between Cleveland and LA/Boston. Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, Pau Gasol, Fisher and Bynum aren't watching Kobe go to work... they're setting screens, establishing front-court position, coming off screens, etc. Mike D'Antoni, for all his defensive shortcomings, is the best offensive coach in the league. Again, Lebron knows this from his Olympic experience, and has spoken about his relationship with D’Antoni often. Again, not a game-changer, but another piece that he’s absolutely considering.

(3) Supporting cast. Right now, the Knicks have four guys all but guaranteed to be here next season: Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Toney Douglas, Eddy Curry. Now, Curry may be bought out or traded at some point before February 2011 since his contract will be expiring and a valuable asset. But even if he remains, he is away from the team, so he doesn’t count right now. Gallo, Chandler, Douglas. Let’s assume they can resign Eddie House for cheap and can bring back Tracy McGrady for the veteran’s minimum (as he explicity stated he would take should big free agents come to NY). That supporting cast isn’t that much better OR worse than the current Cavalier’s supporting cast, assuming T-Mac is on point. Shaq isn’t much of a factor anymore. Verajao, Parker, Williams, Telfair, Hickson, Green, West, Moon. These guys are role players (Williams, at best, a second or third option). The Knicks are in the same boat. Without Lebron, the Cavs are not a playoff team (or best case, if they overachieve, they’re an 8th seed and get destroyed by whoever is no.1). Lebron instantly makes your team better, so suddenly having a supporting cast of Gallinari, Chandler, Douglas, McGrady, House, whoever else isn’t that big of a deal. Only major difference? Veterans vs. Youth. The Cavs’ roleplayers have experience on their side, which of course is huge. But I don’t think that Lebron is delusional. He knows his supporting cast is aging and a bit overrated based entirely off his talent. Coming to NY doesn’t really change that, other than the experience.

(4) Stemming from the supporting cast, and to me, the most important factor in his decision: the ability to play with not only a second All Star, but a second super star. If he wants to play with Chris Bosh, he will play with Chris Bosh. If he wants to play with Wade or Stoudemire, he will. End of story. The ability to sign 2 max-contracts is enormous. Lebron going to NY alone is unlikely. He’d be doing all the work, all over again. But jumping ship with not only a friend, but a YOUNG star… that IMMEDIATELY puts the Knicks as one of the top 3 teams in the conference. Regardless of supporting cast, if you’re fielding a lineup of Lebron James and Chris Bosh/Dwyane Wade/Amar’e Stoudemire, you’re instantly better than the Cavaliers fielding Shaq/Jamison/Lebron/Parker/Williams. Add to that Tracy McGrady as a potential SIXTH man? Gallinari as your outside support, Chandler off the bench (or traded for another piece?)… that’s not only a Eastern Conference contender, that’s a perennial powerhouse in the making for years to come. How many title opportunities do the Cavaliers have as presently constructed? I’d say if they don’t do it this year, MAYBE next year, they’re toast. That window is closing fast. Granted, the Knicks aren’t remotely close right now, but signing Lebron-plus-one, with that youth and talent, bumps his title window open for quite a few more years.

I'm not saying he's jumping ship. In fact, I'm betting against it (pessimism!). But to dismiss the possibility as nonsense is unwise.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

They also won 13 games in a row with both of their starting guards missing most of those. They weren't going to leave Mo WIlliams and Delonte West to come off the bench because it 'wasn't broke,' were they? No. That would be silly. Just like saying, 'We have the NBA's best record and we've won 13 games in a row in January and February, so we'll stick with what's working.'

How a team is playing now has nothing to with the playoffs. It just gets you there. and the Cavs will probably still get there even if they lose all their remaining games. Weren't they playing well last year with a huge expiring contract in Wally Szczerbiak (who was not a huge contributor) and stood on it at the deadline instead of trying to shake it up and better the team? Didn't they win 66 games start the playoffs 8-0 before throwing up a dud in the Conference Finals? Teams get complacent after playing well for so long. This isn't the '98 Bulls. The Cavs will actually have to work again to get to their peak; to integrate Jamison as a new member of the team, Mo Williams as a player coming back from a significant injury, and Leon Powe as both, instead of sitting around with the league's best record while everyone begins to believe they're invincible. If they get Zydrunas Ilgauskas back, they get a bonus as an extra frontline defender and offensive rebounder, but I'm feeling less and less like that will happen.

You honestly expected them to sit around while all the other playoff teams tried to get better?

Also, have you seen the latest LeBron/New York Special Edition sneaker? It's done up in Knicks' colors and has the L23 logo on the bottom modified to be a question mark. A question mark. If that's not the cheesiest, skinniest ray of hope for New Yorkers to hang on to, I don't know what is. Sounds to me like a dude who wants to keep a big market happy, hopeful and buying his tennies for the next few months by saying, "we'll see. You never know (winkwink)." before he inevitably makes the smartest financial, PR and basketball move by resigning with his title contender.

My point was simply that personally, I don't like messing with a good team. But I also qualified that by saying I wasn't qualified to say one way or the other. A point you wouldn't have missed if you weren't in such a rush to take me to task. I also said that it was hardly time to panic and that I wasn't judging the trade based on three games. Next time read my whole post before you decide to treat me like an idiot.

I think you might have missed the point, because I was replying to NJTank, not you. At all. It is my fault for not quoting the post, but still no need to get sassy. It's never as good, or as bad, as everyone makes it out to be. That's why they play the games.

This is why Cleveland is forever doomed. They had a 13 game winning streak and were playing awesome ball but they screwed up the formula, and making matters worse the Knicks have cleared more cap space, making room for the King to reign in the Garden.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The Cavs can sign a big name this offseason and then go over the cap to keep LeBron, right...?

Nope. As I understand it, they can't, especially since Jamison's contract is on the books for like another season or two. This is all, of course, assuming Lebron settles for nothing less than a max-contract.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Why wouldn't LeBron want to come to New York. The NBA needs LeBron in New York and the moment he signs with the Knicks he will be the biggest star in the biggest stage in the world. LeBron understands this and the only reason the Cavs would have a shot to re-sign him is they are a good team and its home. However, like when Shaq signed with L.A. at the time the Magic were allot closer to a title than the Lakers too, there is something about the Garden and the Knicks being a dormant franchise will do everything they can to sign him and David Stern may even gresse the wheels because it would be a big boost to the NBA which has seen the New York market lose interest in the NBA in recent years.

The NBA does not "need" LeBron in New York. If that were the case then why didn't Stern "gresse the wheels" to get him there in the first place? LeBron is already the biggest star in the game. Going to NY doesn't do one thing to enhance that. The NBA has done just fine without the Knicks being a "dormant" franchise. Come to think of it, The Knicks are all but "dormant" right now and The NBA seems to be doing OK.

And this is the most ridiculous argument of all... To say The Cavs have not tried to supply LeBron with a "Pippen" is just flat out wrong. The Cavs have made plenty of efforts, and no one can say they haven't done whatever they were capable of doing to try to improve the team. I'm just curious what you'd call Ben Wallace, Shaq, or Jamison? And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. The Cavs have made every move they were in a position to make to try to get the team over the hump. And Scottie Pippen's don't exactly grow on trees. People act like it's just a matter of going out and grabbing a Scottie Pippen caliber talent. If only it were that easy.

BB52Big.jpg

Jordan and Pippen also took less than maximum contracts to ensure they get the guys like Rodman, Kerr, Grant, or BJ Armstrong. Lebron on the other hand wants as much money as possible, which is why I wouldnt be surprised to see him go to the Knicks. The cavs cannot add anything other than Lebron, Jamison, and Mo Williams. They have no more money to do anythins. With those three in place, the cavs will never get anything more

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

I'm not saying he's jumping ship. In fact, I'm betting against it (pessimism!). But to dismiss the possibility as nonsense is unwise.

I can see completely missing the point when a post is more like the manifesto you wrote. But I think I was pretty clear and at no point did I say the idea of him leaving was nonsense. What I said was I'm tired of all the nonsense. There's a difference.

God I get so sick of this Knicks nonsense.

I'm not saying there's no chance that he leaves but he'd be silly to do it and I think he and his people already know that.

BB52Big.jpg

I can see completely missing the point when a post is more like the manifesto you wrote. But I think I was pretty clear and at no point did I say the idea of him leaving was nonsense. What I said was I'm tired of all the nonsense. There's a difference.

I'm not saying there's no chance that he leaves but he'd be silly to do it and I think he and his people already know that.

Oh come on now dude. I'm trying to be civilized and have an intelligent discussion here. No need to be snarky and insulting. If I was too descriptive, then I suppose I apologize? If I misunderstood you, I apologize, however, I hope you can see where "Knicks nonsense" implies that talk about the Lebron going to the Knicks is nonsense. Had you used another adjective, OK... but "I get so sick of this Knicks nonsense" is pretty clear cut to me. Especially when you said afterward, "he'd be silly to do it."

Let's keep this thread as a polite NBA discussion, occassional debates included, and leave out the attacks. Nothing wrong with a little detailed sports banter in a thread dedicated to sports banter, right?

ANYWAY, Sizemore, I don't believe that's how it works. I'll be honest, I'm no expert on the cap rules. I would direct you to this helpful article: ESPN article. As I understand it, a team like Miami CAN go after a second max along with retaining Wade as a max deal because, like the Knicks, they have only a few players contracted for the upcoming season and are far below the cap otherwise. Cleveland, however, has only enough room to retain their max deal. I would assume, should Lebron bolt, they'd have the room to sign some other max player (but don't quote me on it).

The thing is, you can go over the cap to keep your own players, correct?

Yes, but is can also subject the owner to pay the "luxury tax".

This explains most of it very well. NBA Salary Cap FAQ

Bottom line to every 2010 name free agent (Bosh, Wade, LeBron):

A. If they change teams, the max contract they can receive is for 5 years/$96 million (appro.)

B. If they remain with their current team their max contract can be for 6 years/$125 (appro.)

The thing is, you can go over the cap to keep your own players, correct?

Yes, but is can also subject the owner to pay the "luxury tax".

This explains most of it very well. NBA Salary Cap FAQ

Bottom line to every 2010 name free agent (Bosh, Wade, LeBron):

A. If they change teams, the max contract they can receive is for 5 years/$96 million (appro.)

B. If they remain with their current team their max contract can be for 6 years/$125 (appro.)

Yeah, I'm sure Gilbert would rather pay said "luxury tax" than lose LeBron and have nobody attend Cavs games.

6fQjS3M.png

Hawks blow an 18-point lead against the 8-man Warriors in the second half, lose 108-104. This is why I absolutely hate this team sometimes. Yeah they're good, but they are still capable of a complete team-wide brain fart.

To explain this, here's what happened to aid the Warriors (and any other team (such as the Knicks) that have benefited from this all-too-familiar Hawks collapse) in their victory:

- The offense completely stagnates, once the ball got to one person they hold onto it until there's 5 seconds left on the shot clock, then they take an awful shot.

- The players or coach make terrible decisions. This time it was Jamal Crawford, who decides to get T'd up with 36 seconds left. NOT THE TIME TO CRY ABOUT A TICKY TACK FOUL DAMMIT.

- 11 seconds left, the Hawks have 3 good 3-point shooters on the floor in Johnson, Crawford, & Bibby. Who takes the last shot? :censored:ING JOSH SMITH WHO HAS ONLY TAKEN 3 3 POINTERS ALL SEASON & HAS MADE A GRAND TOTAL OF ZERO. JOSH SMITH TAKING THE FINAL 3-POINTER IN A SITUATION WHERE THEY COULD'VE GONE 2-for-1 OR HAD ANYBODY IN THE :censored:IN WORLD OTHER THAN JOSH SMITH TAKE THE DAMN SHOT, & HE TAKES THE SHOT. They also did this with 4 seconds left to spare. Beautiful play, guys. Genius.

So in short, when this team plays like they're supposed to (unselfish offense with the guards being sharpshooters w/ Horford & Josh dunking on people on the inside & scoring on fast breaks), they're a damn good team. When they decide to go into conservative mode (stop passing the ball, take terrible shots with 3 seconds left on the shot clock), they ALWAYS lose whatever lead they have, & then they go into panic mode (hope Joe Johnson or Jamal Crawford saves the day. If not, continue conservative mode EVEN THOUGH THEY NO LONGER HAVE THE LEAD), which just frustrates the :censored: out of TFoA.

Apologies for the rant, I just had to get it out.

Oh come on now dude. I'm trying to be civilized and have an intelligent discussion here. No need to be snarky and insulting. If I was too descriptive, then I suppose I apologize? If I misunderstood you, I apologize, however, I hope you can see where "Knicks nonsense" implies that talk about the Lebron going to the Knicks is nonsense. Had you used another adjective, OK... but "I get so sick of this Knicks nonsense" is pretty clear cut to me. Especially when you said afterward, "he'd be silly to do it."

Let's keep this thread as a polite NBA discussion, occassional debates included, and leave out the attacks. Nothing wrong with a little detailed sports banter in a thread dedicated to sports banter, right?

Well you were wrong. I wrote it. I know what I meant. Apparently you misunderstood it. No big deal. We'll get over it.

On your other points; how about we let the mods be the moderators?

BB52Big.jpg

Hawks blow an 18-point lead against the 8-man Warriors in the second half, lose 108-104. This is why I absolutely hate this team sometimes. Yeah they're good, but they are still capable of a complete team-wide brain fart.

To explain this, here's what happened to aid the Warriors (and any other team (such as the Knicks) that have benefited from this all-too-familiar Hawks collapse) in their victory:

- The offense completely stagnates, once the ball got to one person they hold onto it until there's 5 seconds left on the shot clock, then they take an awful shot.

- The players or coach make terrible decisions. This time it was Jamal Crawford, who decides to get T'd up with 36 seconds left. NOT THE TIME TO CRY ABOUT A TICKY TACK FOUL DAMMIT.

- 11 seconds left, the Hawks have 3 good 3-point shooters on the floor in Johnson, Crawford, & Bibby. Who takes the last shot? :censored:ING JOSH SMITH WHO HAS ONLY TAKEN 3 3 POINTERS ALL SEASON & HAS MADE A GRAND TOTAL OF ZERO. JOSH SMITH TAKING THE FINAL 3-POINTER IN A SITUATION WHERE THEY COULD'VE GONE 2-for-1 OR HAD ANYBODY IN THE :censored:IN WORLD OTHER THAN JOSH SMITH TAKE THE DAMN SHOT, & HE TAKES THE SHOT. They also did this with 4 seconds left to spare. Beautiful play, guys. Genius.

So in short, when this team plays like they're supposed to (unselfish offense with the guards being sharpshooters w/ Horford & Josh dunking on people on the inside & scoring on fast breaks), they're a damn good team. When they decide to go into conservative mode (stop passing the ball, take terrible shots with 3 seconds left on the shot clock), they ALWAYS lose whatever lead they have, & then they go into panic mode (hope Joe Johnson or Jamal Crawford saves the day. If not, continue conservative mode EVEN THOUGH THEY NO LONGER HAVE THE LEAD), which just frustrates the :censored: out of TFoA.

Crawford started out 5/6 tonight, but finished 6/17, however there were more glaring issues beside his shooting.

1-Josh Smith's 3 attempt since he has not made ONE all season. Crawford gave him the ball, but there was still time to cycle it to Johnson or back to him.

2-Zaza was in the game when the pace of the game was getting/got too fast for him.

Crawford started out 5/6 tonight, but finished 6/17, however there were more glaring issues beside his shooting.

1-Josh Smith's 3 attempt since he has not made ONE all season. Crawford gave him the ball, but there was still time to cycle it to Johnson or back to him.

2-Zaza was in the game when the pace of the game was getting/got too fast for him.

#1 Exactly.

#2: Also right on the dot. This was an off-game for Zaza...which means he should've seen the court for probably 4 or 5 minutes only.

That was also another thing: Woodson actually found himself in a catch-22. Friday night he got blasted because he ignored his bench while the Suns played their bench to great success. He promises to "never do that again." He plays his bench down the stretch & they blow a lead. Catch-22.

But LeBron and Chris Bosh won't win a title by themselves, as Jordan and Pippen didn't win a title by themselves, they had a great team. It was just led by two great players.

Let's not get carried away here. Luc Longley was a stiff and Ron Harper was old. There were good role-players on the Bulls, but they had the best player of all time and one of the other best players of all time. Steve Kerr and Toni Kukoc would've had relatively solid careers without Michael and Scottie, but their reputations are vastly inflated by playing with them. Enough with this "LeBron will just have bad teammates" crap. No he won't. It's the NBA. Concentrated greatness is all you need sometimes. LeBron would turn the Knicks around in an instant.

Oh and as Curt said, the Celtics already crushed the misguided notion that you have to build from within and slowly pay your dues to win a championship. That's one way to do it, but clearly getting Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen is another.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived