NBA Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.

Josh Smith hits his 2nd game winning dunk of the season, this one comes exactly at the buzzer and against the Magic.

Needless to say, I lost my :censored:.

Yeah, but after Joe Johnson very clearly, even by NBA standards, got away with traveling. ^_^

IUe6Hvh.png

Wow.

Josh Smith hits his 2nd game winning dunk of the season, this one comes exactly at the buzzer and against the Magic.

Needless to say, I lost my :censored:.

Yeah, but after Joe Johnson very clearly, even by NBA standards, got away with traveling. ^_^

Yeah I caught that on the live replay and literally said "Ruh roh." That entire sequence was just too scary.

Nobody should care about traveling.

That "The City" logo isn't very good at all. People only like it because it's quirky. "The City" as a nickname for San Francisco has little to no currency beyond the Bay, nor should it because it's a stupid nickname that should go to New York if anyone at all. I like the Golden Gate/cable car imagery, but they've gotta use the full "San Francisco Warriors" name in the primary. In fact, I think it's a rule of the NBA's (which is so easily circumvented as to make the whole rule kind of silly).

Should new ownership fail to get an arena built by China Basin, I suggest staying put and floating the possibility of renaming them the San Francisco Warriors anyway, because San Francisco is the anchor of the metropolitan area and it's only a matter of time before the 49ers are keeping their name whilst playing outside of the two or three blocks that actually constitute the city of San Francisco. To hell with it; it just sounds better. Provincial East Bay types can piss up a rope.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Nets picked up win #9 tonight, beating the now-pedestrian Pistons. That means that they're either going to tie the record or not even go down in the books.

I'm angry in a selfish way because I really wanted to witness history. Oh well.

The Nets will win at least 2 more games because they absolutely suck at sucking. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

They'll go on a run and leave the Timberwolves to finish dead last. Lost in the Nets furor is what frozen crap on a stick that team is.

I just looked at the standings.....Minnesota and Washington both are on 15-game losing streaks.

Not that it brings anything to the discussion, but I think it's pretty clear that Minnesota is "tanking" the rest of the season to get the #1 or #2 overall pick. Shameful.

The Wizards traded away the only real veteran talent they had to save some money for the new owner and have to rely on Mike Miller, Shaun Livingston, and something called a "JaVale McGee" whatever the hell that is. :P Seriously, if you want a good laugh sometime, take a look at that roster.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Not that it brings anything to the discussion, but I think it's pretty clear that Minnesota is "tanking" the rest of the season to get the #1 or #2 overall pick. Shameful.

That's why I don't get why the lottery is weighted. Barring another McHalian exposure of malfeasance that costs them even having a draft pick at all, they still have a 25% chance of landing Wall. They should have the same chance to pick first as they would to pick 14th. That's how you discourage tanking.

That's why I don't get why the lottery is weighted. Barring another McHalian exposure of malfeasance that costs them even having a draft pick at all, they still have a 25% chance of landing Wall. They should have the same chance to pick first as they would to pick 14th. That's how you discourage tanking.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the draft lottery under this format a while ago?

Worst team to not make playoffs - 14 ping pong balls (meaning 14 chances to get # 1 pick.)

2nd worst - 13 chances

3rd worst - 12 chances

4th worst - 11 chances

etc. going all the way down to the team with the best record that missed the playoffs who would have 1 ping pong ball and the least chance to win the # 1 pick. To me, this system, if it was previously used (which I think it was seeing as how Orlando got the # 1 pick when they didn't make the playoffs based on a tiebreaker in I think 1993) would certainly discourage tanking more than the current system.

The original format was that every team that didn't make the playoffs had one envelope in the tumbler. That was the best system, except that they probably rigged it for the Knicks to get Ewing, but hey.

The original format was that every team that didn't make the playoffs had one envelope in the tumbler. That was the best system, except that they probably rigged it for the Knicks to get Ewing, but hey.

There's no perfect system. Imagine the uproar if the 38-35 Memphis Grizzlies won the draft lottery by having an equal chance as the 6-64 Nets ... people would be howling for a change again!

But I agree ... it would discourage tanking!

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

There's no perfect system. Imagine the uproar if the 38-35 Memphis Grizzlies won the draft lottery by having an equal chance as the 6-64 Nets ... people would be howling for a change again!

I wouldn't be. I would say "good for them, seeing as they're equally out of the playoffs as the Nets, who weren't entitled to anything anyway." Speaking of the Grizz, if we really want to throw out crazy ideas, maybe they ought to be given the East's 8 seed if neither the Bulls nor Raptors can find it in themselves to finish with something resembling a winning record.

Archived