NBA Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bucks lost, but they've already clinched a non-losing season. What a surprise. Now generally my opinion of the Milwaukee Bucks ranges from apathy to "just put the whole thing out of its misery already," but we've all really gotta hand it to them for the year they've had. Brandon Jennings pretty much has to be the ROTY, in my opinion. This team has wildly exceeded expectations, and as far as players go (Skiles coaches the hell out of them), he's the biggest reason why. Redd's been out most of the year, Bogut has been decent, and Salmons was a nice deadline addition again, but this is Jennings's team. Tyreke Evans is pretty impressive, and may have better individual stats in some categories, but I'm much more impressed with what Jennings has done as the point guard of a playoff team. That it would be a nice big double-bird to all the idiots who think athletes need to be exploited by universities before they can make money would really be the icing on the cake, if the NBA Rookie of the Year award happened to be rendered in cake form.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Bucks lost, but they've already clinched a non-losing season. What a surprise. Now generally my opinion of the Milwaukee Bucks ranges from apathy to "just put the whole thing out of its misery already," but we've all really gotta hand it to them for the year they've had. Brandon Jennings pretty much has to be the ROTY, in my opinion. This team has wildly exceeded expectations, and as far as players go (Skiles coaches the hell out of them), he's the biggest reason why. Redd's been out most of the year, Bogut has been decent, and Salmons was a nice deadline addition again, but this is Jennings's team.

Agreed. Fear the deer!!

They could make some noise come playoff time, and quite possibly, Jennings could be seen as a savior of the Bucks franchise; without him, the team would likely still be wallowing in mediocricy and on the verge of moving to Seattle, Vancouver, Kansas City, or anywhere else in a few years.

Whoa there. Nobody fears them, they're still a first-round out, and they still might leave Milwaukee. Let's not get carried away.

The parallels to the 2005 Bulls are kind of eerie. After years of virtual non-existence, their high-pick big guy stops being a worthless loaf, they get amazing production from a rookie guard, and by having Scott Skiles coach the living hell out of them and make them absolutely redline it every night they are sometimes able to win games, though try as they may they will never beat teams with at least one bona fide NBA superstar in a best of seven.

I hope Bucks fans are enjoying this as much as I enjoyed that Bulls season, which was probably the most immersed I've ever been in the league. At least the Bucks project to get eliminated by legit teams like the Hawks or Celtics. Not for a minute did I think that Wizards team could win that series, but perhaps I was young and stupid. Then the worst part was that the Wizards, themselves being just as allergic to winning as the Bulls were, made t-shirts to celebrate winning a series! Ugh. Just dumb. Fun until that, though!

OK, then. I just like the "Fear the deer" line. :P

There could be a few good years ahead with Jennings, but I shouldn't quite hold my breath.

Maybe the Bucks can use a few GREAT weeks with Jennings now than Bogut is out... uh... oh snap...

I saw, I came, I left.

well...as a blog I frequent, the Courtside Analyst, pointed out, problem #1 is old man Kurt Thomas will have to log more minutes than his skill would usually merit. Good backup, but clearly not starting material anymore. The bigger problem, though, is who replaces Thomas as the main backup C? Unfortunately, there aren't any good options: Ersan Ilyasova, as good as he is, is not a center; Primoz Brezec recently tried to box an opponent out BACKWARDS (I wish I was making that up) and basically looks like a classic Big Euro Stiff, and Dan Gadzuric basically has Larry Harris to thank for making him a longer-lasting version of Keith Closs.

and I'll tell ya what, seeing that was deflating. I wasn't among those who would've booed Amare every time he touched it though, cus it didn't look like he meant to do it...but I digress. Can't really address backup center til the offseason, but it's been clear for a while that we need a Gortat or Haddadi type guy there. You wouldn't want Dan Gadzuric or Primoz Brezec getting off your bench either.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Watching the Jazz/Thunder game on The Score right now. Not sure who they are taking the feed from, I think it is CBS, but every time the announcers refer to either team they are using IS.

ex. The Thunder IS shooting well right now. The Thunder HAS one timeout left.

The Thunder ARE a team. It doesn't matter if their name is plural or not, it should always be the Thunder ARE. Is this not common sense? Or am I just crazy?

WOW how do you not call that foul on the buzzer beater? I know refs like to pocket their whistles at the end of games but come on!

Watching the Jazz/Thunder game on The Score right now. Not sure who they are taking the feed from, I think it is CBS, but every time the announcers refer to either team they are using IS.

ex. The Thunder IS shooting well right now. The Thunder HAS one timeout left.

The Thunder ARE a team. It doesn't matter if their name is plural or not, it should always be the Thunder ARE. Is this not common sense? Or am I just crazy?

Nah...that's just a grammatically smart announcer. The team name is singular; using singular linking verbs makes more sense. I'd be more irritated if they said it the way you think it should be ("the Thunder are").

I get where you're coming from with that, though, and it is all subjective...but I'd just prefer to hear it the grammatically correct way. (This may also be part of the reason so many people are against singular team names...to prevent this kind of mix-up.) Of course, there are exceptions to this, where the plural form of a word reads as singular, such as the Manitoba Moose...but that'd be splitting hairs at this juncture. ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Right or wrong, the convention is to use "are" for teams irrespective of dumb singular names. If the New Orleans Hornets weren't forced back into tax-subsidized existence we wouldn't even have this problem.

Back on topic, OH NO YOU GUYS CHRIS BOSH BROKE HIS FREAKING FACE

Now that the NCAA's are over, it's time for (what used to be, back when the Hawks were routinely awful) my favorite time of the year: College players declaring for the Draft!

A few guys have already done it, but here's the first real big declaration:

Five Kentucky players (including Wall & Cousins) declare for draft.

Sucks for Kentucky, great for the gutter of the NBA.

First they got new non- :censored: ty uniforms.

Then they had their first All-Star.

Then they got a new owner who actually seems to give a :censored: about the performance of the team.

And now they've clinched their first ever playoff spot.

I'd say this has been a pretty good year for the Charlotte Bobcats.

Then they got a new owner who actually seems to give a censored.gif about the performance of the team.

And now they've clinched their first ever playoff spot.

The new owner is Michael Jordan. The only thing worse than him not caring about the Bobcats will be him caring about the Bobcats. Congrats on the playoff berth and all, but you won't be trumpeting this in two months when Larry Brown mutters some dubious crap about a "hyperextended appendix" and "retires" so that James Worthy and Charles Oakley can run the team. Gerald Wallace is pretty good, at least.

Archived