Should the LA Clippers move north and be the new Seattle Sonics?

Quillz

I live in Seattle. People aren't holding vigils in the streets, but this community does very much miss the Sonics and would happily accept an NBA team back (especially if wore gold and green and was called the SuperSonics).

That said, the market wasn't a failure, and given the constraints placed on the city (continuing to pay bonds on the 1996 KeyArena renovation as well as SafeCo and Qwest construction), I don't think the civic leaders can be faulted for not tapping the taxpayers for more funding.

The reason the Sonics left Seattle is because Howard Kurtz put them in the hands of people he knew couldn't wait to move them, and David Stern happily pissed all over the market. What happened in Seattle is especially jarring when you consider how hard the NHL fights to keep loser teams in Phoenix and Miami (not actually sure about the latter, but there must be SOMEONE fighting to keep that team there).

The Sonics were profitable, but just not as profitable as they *could* be if the citizens of Seattle had stupidly voted to tax themselves for a third arena, during a recession, that would increase the wealth of Clay Bennett.

It's a frustrating story and the city deserved a lot better.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what surprises me. It?s not like an NBA franchise can be considered a great investment when so many of them never bring in any real money?..unless you bought the team back in the 80?s and it?s now worth 200-400 mil.

That's what I used to think, but then I read about how Herb Kohl is the second richest Senator behind John Kerry, and it was all because the Bucks had (apparently) doubled in value over the past 3 years. It was a couple years ago when I read that, but the Bucks haven't been relevant since 2001. The Bradley Center has been letting them rent the building for next to nothing to make them want to stay around. But if they did leave, I doubt Milwaukee would be crying much harder than Seattle, if at all.

Hmm, the Bucks situation is news to me. thblink.gif Do you remember reading how much they're worth?

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

It's something like $300 million and it's still 29th or 30th in the league. Yeah, the Bucks are in a pretty bad sitch because they don't generate much revenue and players neither want to come to nor stay in Milwaukee, so they haven't been able to field a competent team for almost ten years. As a result, they're losing market share to the three college programs in the region and probably the Bulls to some limited extent as well.

Herb Kohl is probably one of the lousier owners in the league seeing as how he's reportedly insufferable to work for and his cluelessly meddling in the Bucks' operations has probably done a lot to hold them back, but unlike Donald Sterling he's generally regarded as a pretty good person. Also unlike cheapo Sterling who still inscrutably makes money hand over fist by running the Clips into the ground, Herb gets a lot of respect/pity for perennially taking a bath on this Mickey Mouse operation instead of bailing on his hometown. So there's that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's something like $300 million and it's still 29th or 30th in the league. Yeah, the Bucks are in a pretty bad sitch because they don't generate much revenue and players neither want to come to nor stay in Milwaukee, so they haven't been able to field a competent team for almost ten years. As a result, they're losing market share to the three college programs in the region and probably the Bulls to some limited extent as well.

Herb Kohl is probably one of the lousier owners in the league seeing as how he's reportedly insufferable to work for and his cluelessly meddling in the Bucks' operations has probably done a lot to hold them back, but unlike Donald Sterling he's generally regarded as a pretty good person. Also unlike cheapo Sterling who still inscrutably makes money hand over fist by running the Clips into the ground, Herb gets a lot of respect/pity for perennially taking a bath on this Mickey Mouse operation instead of bailing on his hometown. So there's that.

Furthermore, Herb Kohl doesn't have to worry about any lawsuits

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/11/03/clippers.ap/index.html

I saw, I came, I left.

I could never buy the "players don't want to come to Milwaukee" excuse... it's not a problem for the other Wisconsin teams (the Packers more-so than the Brewers) or NBA teams in other cities with a quality of life similar to Milwaukee's (see: Detroit, Cleveland). If anything, it's the second sentence... players will go just about anywhere to play for a quality organization, which the Bucks are most certainly not.

The Bucks aren't the Packers though. If you play for the Packers, you're playing for THE Green Bay Packers. The Bucks have no such distinction in the NBA.

That was my point... players don't tend to care about quality of life as much as they do about playing for a quality organization. That's why the Bucks can't sign anyone... it has nothing to do with the alleged reputation of Milwaukee's social scene (which the writers at the Journal seem hell-bent on wanting everyone believe).

True enough. The Brewers don't seem to have much of a problem attracting players.

But the Bucks are a joke - who would play in that uniform if they had a choice?

Speaking of the organization the uniform represents, not the uniform itself, the design of which I actually quite like.

The Bucks aren't the Packers though. If you play for the Packers, you're playing for THE Green Bay Packers. The Bucks have no such distinction in the NBA.

That was my point... players don't tend to care about quality of life as much as they do about playing for a quality organization. That's why the Bucks can't sign anyone... it has nothing to do with the alleged reputation of Milwaukee's social scene (which the writers at the Journal seem hell-bent on wanting everyone believe).

I know we're talking a different time and space, there was a point where the Bucks were a more than respectable organization, where players didn't mind playing in Milwaukee. The Bucks have just been a mediocre franchise the last 20 years, a vast departure from their glory years of the 1970s and 1980s. I spent part of my childhood in Milwaukee, and I still have relatives living there in the city...I was last there in 2001 for Christmas, and compared to 1988, when I last lived there, Milwaukee's behind the times.

I don't get me wrong...Milwaukee's a fine city and anything, and I don't want to badmouth the Brew City, but other than Miller Park and the Midwest Airlines Center, there's not much modern there last time I checked. One caveat that Milwaukee has, for better or worse, is that it's about 90 minutes away (on a good day) from Chicago. I'm sure that many Milwaukee-based athletes have made that trip down Interstate 94 towards Chicago to crave that nightlife that they supposedly lack in Milwaukee.

I don't think there's all that much to the "least appealing cities" argument, but if you want me to indulge it, I would have to say that Salt Lake City and Oklahoma City would be the worst. There's no sense in rattling off ten because there are only 28 cities in the league, but there have been rumblings about players being reluctant to do the Oklahoma City thing. You can argue that Mormonland wouldn't be a good fit for troublemakers, but I think Jerry Sloan is a bigger encumbrance to those acquisitions than the city itself.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think there's all that much to the "least appealing cities" argument, but if you want me to indulge it, I would have to say that Salt Lake City and Oklahoma City would be the worst. There's no sense in rattling off ten because there are only 28 cities in the league, but there have been rumblings about players being reluctant to do the Oklahoma City thing. You can argue that Mormonland wouldn't be a good fit for troublemakers, but I think Jerry Sloan is a bigger encumbrance to those acquisitions than the city itself.

Right you are, right you are. How about Sac-Town; I would think that would be a bad place to play if you didn?t take into account that the Bay Area isn?t that far away. Same goes for Memphis?

In your eyes Gentlemen, what are the top 10 least appealing cities in the NBA, and why?

If I were an NBA prospect, the places I would least like to end up in are

*Oklahoma City- slowly improving team, but bad unis and doesn't sound too much like a happening place to be!

*Orlando- toooo Disney. Personally if it were me, I would prefer somewhere, how can I put this, a little more real.

*Utah/SLC- See Oklahoma City

*Washington DC- Bad uniforms, not a particularly attractive city, and who knows when a presidential motorcade might make a huge queue when all you want is a quick burger

*Memphis- Just doesn't strike me as a basketball kind of town??

*Milwaukee- Again bad unis, not a great team. Cold winters

On the flip side, places I'd be more than happy to play

*Boston- Always like Bean town. And they have the best unis in the NBA.

*Philly- Always struck me as a good historic kind of place to enjoy a few years

*New York- 'Nuff said

*Bay area, California- Not just for Oakland, but San Fran, sounds like a cool place.

*Portland- Would have been Seattle if the Sonics were still around, but Oregon seems a picturesque kind of place.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

On the flip side, places I'd be more than happy to play

*Boston- Always like Bean town. And they have the best unis in the NBA.

*Philly- Always struck me as a good historic kind of place to enjoy a few years

*New York- 'Nuff said

*Bay area, California- Not just for Oakland, but San Fran, sounds like a cool place.

*Portland- Would have been Seattle if the Sonics were still around, but Oregon seems a picturesque kind of place.

Your top 6 would have been my top choices as well, along with Miami.....

Well it's not the city it's the team that matters.

Maybe to you but I know the Jazz have lost some players and haven?t been able to attract some due to the lack of ?night life? Salt Lake City has.

You arrest people for rapping at a McDonald's drive thru. Of course you have no nightlife in Pleasantville, Utah.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well it's not the city it's the team that matters.

Maybe to you but I know the Jazz have lost some players and haven?t been able to attract some due to the lack of ?night life? Salt Lake City has.

You arrest people for rapping at a McDonald's drive thru. Of course you have no nightlife in Pleasantville, Utah.

I know, that story is a damn shame that only brings more negative press on the state! throlleyes-1.gif

Archived