OHL rookie in critical condition after hit

Top Shelf

Definitely feel for Finelli, hope he's ok. Also though, it would suck to be in Liampas' situation. I mean, it was kinda dirty, but he didn't like jump or anything, and he didn't take him out than start whaling on him. I'm sure he wasn't going down the ice like " I'm gonna crank the guy, and leave him unconscious." Anyways, I hope Finelli is OK, I heard he was moved from emergency, so hopefully he will be better.

That was brutal. The thing is, and I'm speaking against my own biases, the hit was clean. Finelli turned his back, there was nothing Liampas could have done. It's just a crappy situation all around.

That's an elbow into the head, which is only "clean" in juniors and pro.

I have to disagree, it clearly wasn't an elbow to the head.

liambas_hit.gif

As IceCap said, it's a crappy situation. Fanelli looked to the other side of the net before making his play, so he knew that Liambas was coming fast. He chose to turn and send the puck back, but in doing so he exposed his back. Liambas caught just enough of Fanelli's shoulder so that he would continue his rotation, but then he hit the boards hard and lost his helmet.

He probably would've escaped with a nasty cut if his helemt had stayed on, but unfortunately for him it did not.

Liambas' intention was most likely to finish his check, but the situation turned sour.

On another matter, I think the referees acted quickly on this one, preventing retaliation.

I really hopes he gets back on his feet without any problems though.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Hit was clean, but where it was placed wasn't. Obvious boarding call. The suspension is ludicrous, though.

I have to disagree about it being boarding. Fanelli saw the hit was coming and turned his back, plus Liampas never left his feet. Clean hit all around, just a very crappy situation for everyone.

I agree about the suspension though. It's ridiculous.

Hit was clean, but where it was placed wasn't. Obvious boarding call. The suspension is ludicrous, though.

I have to disagree about it being boarding. Fanelli saw the hit was coming and turned his back, plus Liampas never left his feet. Clean hit all around, just a very crappy situation for everyone.

Boarding, as defined by Hockey Canada:

Rule 6.2 Boarding and Body Checking

A Minor penalty, or, at the discretion of the Referee, a Major Penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty, base upon degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be assessed any player who body checks, cross-checks, elbows, charges, or trips an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently into the boards.

Just sayin'.

Rules? There are no rules in hockey. It's a man's game!

Buncha thugs.

(Ok, in reality, even though it looks like a high hit to me, the suspension sounds ridiculous.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

A Minor penalty, or, at the discretion of the Referee, a Major Penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty, base upon degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be assessed any player who body checks, cross-checks, elbows, charges, or trips an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently into the boards.

Just sayin'.

I don't think the second part applies though. There was nothing particularly violent about the hit (outside of what's considered "normal" in a hockey game that is). Had Fanelli gotten up no one would have given the hit a second thought.

Just sayin'.

I don't think the second part applies though. There was nothing particularly violent about the hit (outside of what's considered "normal" in a hockey game that is). Had Fanelli gotten up no one would have given the hit a second thought.

Fair enough. To each his own. I thought the way he got thrown into the boards was violent, and I think the voice of the crowd gives you their point of view. It's really a borderline call and I think we can all agree there is no way Liambis should have gotten a year ban.

Just sayin'.

Fair enough. To each his own. I thought the way he got thrown into the boards was violent, and I think the voice of the crowd gives you their point of view. It's really a borderline call and I think we can all agree there is no way Liambis should have gotten a year ban.

No I don't think we can all agree on that. It was boarding, this goon has a history with dirty hits, it was boarding, and it was boarding.

Outlaw checking. It's that simple. Let's all be safe out there, and keep any body contact to a minimum. Please, for the love of God, if you think you're going to check someone, STOP! Think for a moment, then couteously shake the gentleman's hand, give a bow, and gently glide towards the bench. There is no reason why players of the game of hockey should ever be hurt. I think we can all say we'd enjoy a nice game of hockey with no speed, body checking, or aggression. Passion and aggression? Leave that to those barbaric football players.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Outlaw checking. It's that simple. Let's all be safe out there, and keep any body contact to a minimum. Please, for the love of God, if you think you're going to check someone, STOP! Think for a moment, then couteously shake the gentleman's hand, give a bow, and gently glide towards the bench. There is no reason why players of the game of hockey should ever be hurt. I think we can all say we'd enjoy a nice game of hockey with no speed, body checking, or aggression. Passion and aggression? Leave that to those barbaric football players.

Whoa Whoa! Theres the swine flu out there, no way anyone's shaking anyone elses hand

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived