High School Football Thread

Gary

When I was 19-20, I had to run down the scores for KGME/XTRA 1360/550/910. At the time they were doing High School football and they would have me do the scoreboard for the halftime show. I developed a love for the history and rivalries of high school football here. After a while you can get into it. I'm also in your boat when I say after 33 years of my high school being open, they only had 8 years of success, this year being the 8th year

That's great by comparison. My school was opened in 1918. In 91 years of football they have had exactly 11 winning seasons. 5 of those were in successive years. Another 5 of those winning seasons were one game over .500 winning seasons. The last winning season was 1977. I misspoke earlier when I said they fell apart after winning it all in '74. 1973 was actually the start of the 5 straight winning seasons. Those were the days. :D Since 1977 their best record has been 5-5 on three separate occasions. They won their last game this season to end a 17 game losing streak. Their record since 2000 is 27-80.

BB52Big.jpg

My High School (Orchard Park, NY AA) lost in the sectional semis. It was the first time in 8 years they did not make the sectional finals at Ralph Wilson Stadium. They also won the AA NYS State Title last year, so it was a disappointing year, but they lost quite a few players and lost to good teams in North Tonawanda and Lancacster, both ranked in the Top 10 in NYS.

saBS.png

I didn't think I'd be in such a minority on this. Well, is my face red or what.

And I'm teasing you on the band geek thing. I know a lot of good friends who are good people who are band geeks proudly. Anyway, I do follow my high school team, and keep an eye on the local high school football, and have thought about getting out to a game this year as I haven't been to a game in years, but have missed the regular season that ends tonight. It's not about quality football, it's about a fun atmosphere and kids giving it their all. The best thing is to go to a game where you have no rooting interest, you might see a great game that most people would overlook. Sure everyone wants to be at that game where it's the top two teams, but some of the best games and most fun ones are the ones that people overlook because either it's a smaller school or records aren't that great.

Althought I didn't attend there, i'm the PA Announcer for all the athletics at Forestview High School here, we're currently 10-2 entering into the second round of the 3AA NC State Playoffs, our next opponent in the second round is our biggest rival, it's gonna be the biggest game in the history of the school (only been open since 1999)....

And I'm teasing you on the band geek thing. I know a lot of good friends who are good people who are band geeks proudly. Anyway, I do follow my high school team, and keep an eye on the local high school football, and have thought about getting out to a game this year as I haven't been to a game in years, but have missed the regular season that ends tonight. It's not about quality football, it's about a fun atmosphere and kids giving it their all. The best thing is to go to a game where you have no rooting interest, you might see a great game that most people would overlook. Sure everyone wants to be at that game where it's the top two teams, but some of the best games and most fun ones are the ones that people overlook because either it's a smaller school or records aren't that great.

I went through high school as one of those too-cool-for-school jerkwads who would never show any sort of school spirit or care about our sports because I felt it was provincial and lame, and the people who did show school spirit were even bigger douchebags than I ever was or still am. The teams weren't that good anyway, so there was never any sort of overwhelmingly fun atmosphere. I guess I didn't really miss out on much.

Going to a high school football game as an adult with no connection to either school just seems like really creepy "Matthew McConaughey in Dazed and Confused" clinging.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I went through high school as one of those too-cool-for-school jerkwads who would never show any sort of school spirit or care about our sports because I felt it was provincial and lame, and the people who did show school spirit were even bigger douchebags than I ever was or still am. The teams weren't that good anyway, so there was never any sort of overwhelmingly fun atmosphere. I guess I didn't really miss out on much.

Going to a high school football game as an adult with no connection to either school just seems like really creepy "Matthew McConaughey in Dazed and Confused" clinging.

Totally different. You're not going there to hang out with high school kids, you're going to watch a football game.

Althought I didn't attend there, i'm the PA Announcer for all the athletics at Forestview High School here, we're currently 10-2 entering into the second round of the 3AA NC State Playoffs, our next opponent in the second round is our biggest rival, it's gonna be the biggest game in the history of the school (only been open since 1999)....
Funny you should mention that, I'm serving as both PA Announcer and DJ tonight. Yes, they're going to shoot me when they hear Sam Spence music over the PA system, not to mention Sam Cooke on any timeout for an official measurement or Men Without Hats if a player is tackled in the end zone.

LvZYtbZ.png

You see my high school football team lost 6-0 and allowed 3 goals twice within a couple minutes of each other.

Oh you meant american football? :P

Anyways, the public school lost it's biggest game ever (open since '06) 7-0 a couple of weeks ago. The offense threw the ball on everyone this year until that game as it was pouring down rain and wind gusting like crazy. They got it inside the redzone three times, all three against the wind.

6fQjS3M.png

Totally different. You're not going there to hang out with high school kids, you're going to watch a football game.

Exactly, once in a while, friends i've known since elementary school(both girls and guys) will attend a game a season because we enjoy whats going on with the school

This thread made me look up how my hard luck HS did in football this year...and well, if it weren't for hard luck, they wouldn't have any. Ended up 1-9, with almost the entire defense going to down to injury with the JV having to play varsity ball for most of the season. I think this is either the 3rd or 4th time in 6 years that they've only won 1 game ina year, and I was a part of 1 of those seasons. But the year that we went 1-9 was just because we were absolutely terrible, the team went 1-9 because the varsity was a MASH unit and the JV proved why they were JV. :P

But in the words of Drew22, "that's fine because HS basketball is starting."

Here in Western Pennsylvania, the WPIAL semi-finals have Beaver Falls vs Aliquippa....Beaver Falls is my home town and all that good stuff and Aliquippa is our biggest rivals. We seem to play them every year in the playoffs. That coupled with the fact that both squads play every year in the regular season, make for a pretty hated/great rivalry. I can't find the actual number of times in a row that have met in the playoffs but it has to atleast be at 4.

Its the same with Beaver Falls/Aliquippa basketball aswell.

Now that we have the one for the thumb, the other hand looks lonely........GO STEELERS

When I was 19-20, I had to run down the scores for KGME/XTRA 1360/550/910. At the time they were doing High School football and they would have me do the scoreboard for the halftime show. I developed a love for the history and rivalries of high school football here. After a while you can get into it. I'm also in your boat when I say after 33 years of my high school being open, they only had 8 years of success, this year being the 8th year

That's great by comparison. My school was opened in 1918. In 91 years of football they have had exactly 11 winning seasons. 5 of those were in successive years. Another 5 of those winning seasons were one game over .500 winning seasons. The last winning season was 1977. I misspoke earlier when I said they fell apart after winning it all in '74. 1973 was actually the start of the 5 straight winning seasons. Those were the days. biggrin.gif Since 1977 their best record has been 5-5 on three separate occasions. They won their last game this season to end a 17 game losing streak. Their record since 2000 is 27-80.

And I thought my school sucked. Only state titles that my school has ever won was in Badminton

Archived