High School Football Thread

Gary

Anyone follow high school football? I myself follow my alma mater Independence High School here in Glendale, Arizona. Tonight they play Apache Junction in the first round of the 4A-1 State playoffs.

My school, Marcos de Niza in Tempe, AZ, hosts Phoenix Central in Arizona 5A-II playoffs. Don't know if I want to go though.

I'd go to the Indy-Apache Junction game, but right now it's too far and it's Apache Junction

Even in high school, I didn't follow high school football. If you follow high school football and you neither attend nor work at that high school, you might be some sort of degenerate.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My School is 11-0 right now, we were ranked #1 in the State(of Alabama) for Class 5-A, and we are in our 2nd playoff game tonight, we have come up one game short of the Championship the past 2 years so hopefully we can make the Championship this year.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Even in high school, I didn't follow high school football. If you follow high school football and you neither attend nor work at that high school, you might be some sort of degenerate.

Not really a fair assumption. I didn't start following again until a couple months ago when I went my high school 10 year reunion.

Not really a fair assumption. I didn't start following again until a couple months ago when I went my high school 10 year reunion.

It's not a fair assumption, no, but it does bear mentioning that 1) high school is something best left in one's past and 2) high school football isn't really that good. I can't imagine watching 17-year-olds play bad football now that I'm no longer in the marching band and thus my attendance is not mandatory, what with being 22 years old and all. Maybe you just really really like football? I don't really really like football.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's not a fair assumption, no, but it does bear mentioning that 1) high school is something best left in one's past and 2) high school football isn't really that good. I can't imagine watching 17-year-olds play bad football now that I'm no longer in the marching band and thus my attendance is not mandatory, what with being 22 years old and all. Maybe you just really really like football? I don't really really like football.

Okay, you just proved your point. You're a band geek. Enough said.

I agree with this. The fact you want to see the high school you came from succeed is a great reason. You may not follow, but having pride is at least something you should have at least!

I do follow my H.S. alma mater, Kanab (UT) H.S. Not religiously, but I keep an eye every now and then.

I remember being on the football team in 2003 when we got beat out by Juan Diego H.S., a private Salt Lake-based Catholic (I think) schools that recruit from all over the country. They had a 5A enrollment, but they were in the 2A ranks.

I can't stand those kind of schools that are able to recruit from all over, then beat up on rural high schools that often only have their own town's kids from which to get their talent. Utah needs to change this kind rule to give the smaller schools a chance; it's kind of like letting a MLB team play against a AAA team (or often a AA team).

My alma mater (West Torrance) is currently 6-3 (2-2), and they're playing Leuzinger tonight for sole position of 3rd in the Bay League.

And, for the record, I'm a band geek and still follow the team.

VmWIn6B.png

My team went 2-7 this year. Yeah, it was a bad year and we probably should have been a playoff team (and I hate saying this because it means that we didn't come up big when we needed to.) If you like watching football in the mud, we were the team to watch. We played four straight games on grass fields which quickly turned into mud.

But I still follow the playoffs, especially with friends at two other schools still in now at the quarterfinals. For anyone from Illinois, my pick at the start was for Glenbard West to win the 8A Championship. And I'll continue to follow the team in the future.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Thank you Oddball. You saved me the trouble of posting it.

On topic, we televise High School Football at my station so I have to keep up with what our local team is doing but other than that I don't really follow the sport too closely. It might have something to do with the fact that my alma mater has had exactly three winning seasons in my lifetime; I'm 48.

Yeah, their program could use some work. To their credit though, one of those winning seasons was a state title in 1974. How a team can suck forever, rise up one season and win it all, then go right back to sucking again the next season is beyond me but they did it.

BB52Big.jpg

What The Admiral said is closest to where I stand; I follow every now and again, but I can't bring myself to follow it religiously, because I don't live in Kanab anymore, and I have more important things to do. That and I seem to get annoyed with the 17-year-olds currently playing for the team; a lot of them seem to be full of themselves, at least compared to my classmates.

Thank you Oddball. You saved me the trouble of posting it.

On topic, we televise High School Football at my station so I have to keep up with what our local team is doing but other than that I don't really follow the sport too closely. It might have something to do with the fact that my alma mater has had exactly three winning seasons in my lifetime; I'm 48.

Yeah, their program could use some work. To their credit though, one of those winning seasons was a state title in 1974. How a team can suck forever, rise up one season and win it all, then go right back to sucking again the next season is beyond me but they did it.

When I was 19-20, I had to run down the scores for KGME/XTRA 1360/550/910. At the time they were doing High School football and they would have me do the scoreboard for the halftime show. I developed a love for the history and rivalries of high school football here. After a while you can get into it. I'm also in your boat when I say after 33 years of my high school being open, they only had 8 years of success, this year being the 8th year

Well, I do follow it a little. Just to see how my alma mater is doing and my mother's alma mater as well.

For me, my alma mater (Denison-Schleswig, IA) was knocked off by Sioux City Heelan in the first round of the Iowa Class 3A Playoffs. What means something is the school where I live now (Carroll, IA) has reached the semifinals at the UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls for the first time ever and will face the always difficult Harlan team that has plenty of State championships under their belt.

My mother's alma mater (Mark Morris, Longview, WA) has won it's qualifying game and will host a first round game in the Washington (State) 2A playoffs. Their rivals has also reached the postseason as well.

As a sportswriter for my school paper, I'd like to think I know what's going on with the team. This year, after they went 13-1 and went to the state semis the previous season, the Oakton Cougars snuck into the playoffs at 5-5. They're the lowest seed, so they probably didn't win their game in the Concorde District tonight.

P.S. Speaking of my school paper, I'd also like to give a shoutout to MG Helmets for letting me and the paper use two helmets he has on his site. I was doing an article on high schools in the area using pro and college team logos(Yeah, as a CCSLCer, I wasn't happy about them doing it.), and those helmets really make the story look good. Thanks man.

My HS, Etowah, lost by 3 to South Gwinnett in the first round of the 5A GHSA playoffs. We went 8-3, with all of our losses coming to top 10 teams.

But that's fine since HS basketball kicks off tomorrow.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Archived