Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Memphis would actually make a lot of SEC hoops coaches happy, as it would allow them to have access into one of college hoops' most fertile recruiting grounds.

Too bad their football program is an absolute joke.

Ummm....doesn't the SEC already HAVE two teams in Tennessee? To go with the two in Mississippi and the one in Arkansas? I think the SEC pretty much has Memphis covered. Especially now that Calipari is gone.

UT is located in Knoxville - a good six-hour drive from Memphis (and in a different time zone). Vandy is located in Nashville, which is three hours away. Fayetteville (Arkansas) is five hours away, at least. Oxford (Ole Miss) is a good seven hours from Memphis, and Starkville (Miss State) is about a three-hour trip. None of those locations "cover" Memphis by any means, and trying to tell recruits that they'd be "close to home" or that their parents would be able to watch them play would be ludicrous.

When it comes to college hoops, Memphis exists by itself. They have been yearning for an opportunity to join a conference like the Big East to renew their rivalries with teams like Louisville and Cincinnati. But their football program has been what has been holding them back. Their stadium is by far the worst in D-1 FBS, and the product they put on the field isn't much better. And the fact that they fired the only coach to take them to a bowl since 1971 after one bad season only adds to the perception that they have a Napoleon complex when it comes to football.

There is a general assumption when it comes to big time college sports that even a little travel is going to be involved for Mom and Dad when you play at this level. Once you get past the Appalachians, this much travel isn't ridiculous.

EDIT: You got the wrong Oxford. Ole Miss is 90 minutes from Memphis. Additionally Tuscaloosa is 4 hours away. And since half of Conference USA's membership (for now) is in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana, it's at best a wash travel-wise.

*Mass Ritualized Suicide on NDNation*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There is a general assumption when it comes to big time college sports that even a little travel is going to be involved for Mom and Dad when you play at this level. Once you get past the Appalachians, this much travel isn't ridiculous.

That's assuming there isn't another program in the immediate vicinity. Why travel six hours to Knoxville when you can travel sixteen minutes to Memphis?

That's assuming there isn't another program in the immediate vicinity. Why travel six hours to Knoxville when you can travel sixteen minutes to Memphis?

Because of the prestige? Your own personal safety? Because there's an opportunity to watch junior at home and on the road?

There's plenty of reasons to go to Tennessee, or one of 5 other SEC schools if you are in Memphis.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And yet Memphis manages to snag all of the best in-city talent year after year. The same can't be said of Chicago (when's the last time DePaul, Loyola-IL or UIC were relevant?), Washington DC (Georgetown has looked rather un-Georgetown-like ever since their Final Four run, same with GW since they started that one season 27-2), or New York City (Seton Hall, Fordham, Manhattan have all been mediocre at best, St. John's had one good season last year but mainly haven't been worth watching either).

But this thread is about football.

Memphis is a distinctly different region than Nashville (Central TN) or Knoxville (Eastern TN). And truth be told, I can't imagine Memphis being a stomping ground for Hog fans, Rebel fans or Tide fans.

With all this realignment in college football, I'm starting to lose interest in college football. I'm sorry, but college football is about tradition and rivalries. The fact that the Big 12 is inviting West Virginia is beyond ridiculous. West Virginia makes no sense for the Big 12. Recruiting? TV draw? Does someone think that West Virginia vs anyone in the Big 12 is going to get ratings? That's where the money is coming from, tv ratings. The fact that West Virginia is going to the Big 12 and the Big East is looking at adding Boise State, Air Force, and possibly BYU is how stupid things are. BYU will not go to the Big East, Big 12 maybe, Big East no. Then again BYU going independent shows they saw what really was happening in college football, just plain stupidity by each conference. West Virginia does not improve the Big 12, it just keeps it from imploding right now as is the Big East going after schools in the Rockies. And what really happens to Texas, the big "bully" in all of this with it's Longhorn Network that has miserably failed? When does Texas start begging conferences to let them in? Texas has been so full of themselves, that it's quite amusing to watch them fail in trying to strong-arm college football.

Wow... I never thought my opinion on anything would align so closely with oddball's, but I think he hit the nail on the head here. These conferences have cultural ties that go far beyond athletics and ought to be respected if they don't want their short-term gains to turn into long-term alienation of the fan base that allows them to make so much money in the first place.

And yet Memphis manages to snag all of the best in-city talent year after year. The same can't be said of Chicago (when's the last time DePaul, Loyola-IL or UIC were relevant?), Washington DC (Georgetown has looked rather un-Georgetown-like ever since their Final Four run, same with GW since they started that one season 27-2), or New York City (Seton Hall, Fordham, Manhattan have all been mediocre at best, St. John's had one good season last year but mainly haven't been worth watching either).

But this thread is about football.

Memphis is a distinctly different region than Nashville (Central TN) or Knoxville (Eastern TN). And truth be told, I can't imagine Memphis being a stomping ground for Hog fans, Rebel fans or Tide fans.

Is Memphis continuing to do so since Calipari and his willingness to look the other way with recruiting violations bailed?

DePaul has done a :censored: ty job of landing recruits since their 1970s and 80s heyday because they lost WGN and meanwhile the rise of ESPN et al means its easier to be on TV. Also both Chicago and New York are more focused on Pro sports and in the case of the latter, the Big Ten Conference in general. I suspect that while the citizens of Memphis may not have loyalty towards any specific school, it damn well would be a big time SEC city in general.

Today, we are all otaku.

Is Memphis continuing to do so since Calipari and his willingness to look the other way with recruiting violations bailed?

DePaul has done a :censored: ty job of landing recruits since their 1970s and 80s heyday because they lost WGN and meanwhile the rise of ESPN et al means its easier to be on TV. Also both Chicago and New York are more focused on Pro sports and in the case of the latter, the Big Ten Conference in general. I suspect that while the citizens of Memphis may not have loyalty towards any specific school, it damn well would be a big time SEC city in general.

Yes, they are. I understand you hate Coach Cal, and I hate him too, but give Josh Pastner some credit.

Memphis is a Memphis city, at least for basketball. When Louisville and Cincinnati were in C-USA they were able to recruit Memphis more easily than any SEC school is able to now.

So is today that day that we hear Missouri is officially being invited to the SEC?

I doubt it. The SEC still wants Mizzou for 2012 and the Big XII doesn't want them to leave until 2013 based on TV Deals. Until they get that worked out, they'll hold off on the announcement.

So is today that day that we hear Missouri is officially being invited to the SEC?

I doubt it. The SEC still wants Mizzou for 2012 and the Big XII doesn't want them to leave until 2013 based on TV Deals. Until they get that worked out, they'll hold off on the announcement.

See my post above. The press releases of the Big XII in 2012-13 ommitting Mizzou and the premature webpage have all but guaranteed it's happening. They probably didn't want to announce it with the World Series going on because, trust me, it could very well have gone unnoticed. And with Deaton leaving the country, it'll probably happen today.

Well now Deaton's trip has been postponed or possibly canceled. Just when you think it's over, it's not.

That's just because Metallica canceled their shows in India.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

See my post above. The press releases of the Big XII in 2012-13 ommitting Mizzou and the premature webpage have all but guaranteed it's happening. They probably didn't want to announce it with the World Series going on because, trust me, it could very well have gone unnoticed. And with Deaton leaving the country, it'll probably happen today.

Oh, I know it's happening, I just don't think it'll be today. I just know the biggest thing they're working on is scheduling. It's happening because the SEC even went as far as making a 14 team schedule, why else would they do it unless they knew Mizzou was coming next year? I have confidence Mizzou will be part of the SEC in 2012, it's just a just going to take a little bit of time to make it happen.

Oh, I know it's happening, I just don't think it'll be today. I just know the biggest thing they're working on is scheduling. It's happening because the SEC even went as far as making a 14 team schedule, why else would they do it unless they knew Mizzou was coming next year? I have confidence Mizzou will be part of the SEC in 2012, it's just a just going to take a little bit of time to make it happen.

To be honest, I think the SEC would have liked to make the announcement on Friday. Think about it. SEC comes out, says Missouri will be the 14th member to join the Conference. 24 hours later, Texas A&M plays Missouri, and the SEC can sit back and smile watching their 2 new schools. At the latest, I thought today would be the announcement, for the same reason of Mizzou and A&M playing each other this passed weekend.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

An honest question for all the Mizzou fans out there:

Do you really believe your team can be competitive in football playing in the SEC West East?

FYP

Has it been confirmed that they'll be playing in the East?

Even so, they'll have to compete with the likes of Georgia, South Carolina and Florida on a yearly basis. Those might not be on the level of LSU, Alabama or Arkansas but they are still definitely not teams that will lay down for Mizzou by any means.

While nothing's confirmed, that's the general belief across the board. I think Mizzou will do a lot better in the east than A&M will do in the west. While competing against Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida is a lot different than competing against Kansas, Iowa State, and Baylor, those teams are subject to down years as is evident this year and last.