Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Memphis would actually make a lot of SEC hoops coaches happy, as it would allow them to have access into one of college hoops' most fertile recruiting grounds.

Too bad their football program is an absolute joke.

A local Tampa sports radio station had a writer from the Washington Examiner on this morning and here is the summary with a link to the interview:

http://www.620wdae.com/pages/usf.html?article=9319523

Essentially:

- Big East to invite UCF, Houston, and SMU for all sports with Boise, Air Force, and Navy for football only.

- Air Force and Navy will try to lobby Army to join as #12

- Should Army decline, backups are Temple, Memphis, and ECU

- He also said USF is a slight possibility for the Big 12 if they decide to go to 12 schools.

A local Tampa sports radio station had a writer from the Washington Examiner on this morning and here is the summary with a link to the interview:

Essentially:

- Big East to invite UCF, Houston, and SMU for all sports with Boise, Air Force, and Navy for football only.

- He also said USF is a slight possibility for the Big 12 if they decide to go to 12 schools.

I'm surprised ECU is so low on the wish list. They actually fit geographically and the last 5 years have had a strong bowl presence.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

WVU to Big XII.

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32980106

I can't say I like this move at all.

What's interesting is that ESPN first reported that the reason for the hold up was that the Big XII was waiting for Missouri to formally withdraw from the Big XII. Does this mean Missouri has now withdrawn for the Big XII? Another interesting thing is that the web-posting that EStone put up had a release date for October 31st on it.

I'm surprised ECU is so low on the wish list. They actually fit geographically and the last 5 years have had a strong bowl presence.

East Carolina's academics are about as noteworthy as Boise State's, and their footprint among the Carolinas is miniscule.

Essentially:

Did I interpret this as Memphis being a backup for football only? That would be nuts.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Essentially:

Did I interpret this as Memphis being a backup for football only? That would be nuts.

Not necessarily. Nothing's been said about the status of the backup's invites. For all we know, a backup could be invited across the board.

With all this realignment in college football, I'm starting to lose interest in college football. I'm sorry, but college football is about tradition and rivalries. The fact that the Big 12 is inviting West Virginia is beyond ridiculous. West Virginia makes no sense for the Big 12. Recruiting? TV draw? Does someone think that West Virginia vs anyone in the Big 12 is going to get ratings? That's where the money is coming from, tv ratings. The fact that West Virginia is going to the Big 12 and the Big East is looking at adding Boise State, Air Force, and possibly BYU is how stupid things are. BYU will not go to the Big East, Big 12 maybe, Big East no. Then again BYU going independent shows they saw what really was happening in college football, just plain stupidity by each conference. West Virginia does not improve the Big 12, it just keeps it from imploding right now as is the Big East going after schools in the Rockies. And what really happens to Texas, the big "bully" in all of this with it's Longhorn Network that has miserably failed? When does Texas start begging conferences to let them in? Texas has been so full of themselves, that it's quite amusing to watch them fail in trying to strong-arm college football.

With all this realignment in college football, I'm starting to lose interest in college football. I'm sorry, but college football is about tradition and rivalries.

This exactly. I feel the same way.

WVU is now in a separate conference from each of their rivals (Marshall, Maryland, Pittsburgh). Cuse and Pitt also abandoned their rivals to go to the ACC (which anyone in ACC country will tell you is the Carolina Conference much in the same way that the Big XII is the Texas Conference). Missouri gave up one of the great all-time rivalries in college sports to go chasing dollar signs in the SEC (where they will almost undoubtedly finish in the cellar year after year).

I'm not going to heap all the blame on Texas, though they do bear some of the responsibility. But this whole thing is just disappointing. I can't bear to watch college football anymore. Between realignment and the BCS, the whole thing has become a joke.

I'm on board with how oddball & DCDuck feel. College football tradition is slowly dying in favor of more money and godzilla sized tv ratings. College football's slow death began in my eyes when Nebraska-Oklahoma stopped playing. Smaller regional conferences are a lot more fun than these mega leagues.

WVU is now in a separate conference from each of their rivals (Marshall, Maryland, Pittsburgh).

To be fair, WVU has never been in the same conference as 2 of the 'rivals' you mentioned. Not that those 2 teams are really rivals of WVU. The real rivals are VT and Pitt.

1zqy8ok.gif

WVU would never get an invite to the B1G - the one conference that still pretends to have some sort of standard for academics.

Especially now that their Fairy God Senators are pushing up daisies.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Memphis would actually make a lot of SEC hoops coaches happy, as it would allow them to have access into one of college hoops' most fertile recruiting grounds.

Ummm....doesn't the SEC already HAVE two teams in Tennessee? To go with the two in Mississippi and the one in Arkansas? I think the SEC pretty much has Memphis covered. Especially now that Calipari is gone.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

West Virginia does not improve the Big 12

Sure cause WVU is so horrible in both football and basketball. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I think somebody crushed the numbers and they said that (at least in football) from a historical perspective, West Virginia DOES represent an upgrade over Missouri. Same for TCU and A&M.

Today, we are all otaku.

Ummm....doesn't the SEC already HAVE two teams in Tennessee? To go with the two in Mississippi and the one in Arkansas? I think the SEC pretty much has Memphis covered. Especially now that Calipari is gone.

UT is located in Knoxville - a good six-hour drive from Memphis (and in a different time zone). Vandy is located in Nashville, which is three hours away. Fayetteville (Arkansas) is five hours away, at least. Oxford (Ole Miss) is a good seven hours from Memphis, and Starkville (Miss State) is about a three-hour trip. None of those locations "cover" Memphis by any means, and trying to tell recruits that they'd be "close to home" or that their parents would be able to watch them play would be ludicrous.

When it comes to college hoops, Memphis exists by itself. They have been yearning for an opportunity to join a conference like the Big East to renew their rivalries with teams like Louisville and Cincinnati. But their football program has been what has been holding them back. Their stadium is by far the worst in D-1 FBS, and the product they put on the field isn't much better. And the fact that they fired the only coach to take them to a bowl since 1971 after one bad season only adds to the perception that they have a Napoleon complex when it comes to football.