NBA away white unis?

Saloos

I disagree. With the advent of the alternate jersey it makes darks at home that much more practical. Plus, in today's age of cable television where you can watch pretty much any game your team plays, the old "we only get to see the team colour vs white" argument becomes obsolete.

Totally agree.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Sometimes I think this could be cut down by teams adopting the both the home and road jerseys of a certain year as their hardwood classics. So on a hardwood classic night, the home team would wear their home jersey, the away team would wear their road jersey. But I guess that would just result in an even greater overabundance of alternates.

I must be in the minority because I do not care for the home team wearing white. I don't hate it, but it's just so bland most of the time. I mean, why should the home team not be allowed to wear their team colors? I know some fans like that whole "let the home crowd see the visiting colors" thing, but honestly, past like junior high, I couldn't give a damn about the visiting team b/c my attention was on the home squad and their performance, not what they were wearing [this is in-game only, as my being here on a logo/uniform forum pretty much indicates that I do care about the jersey/logo design in general, but not when it's game time]. Of course, I understand a lot of people that go to the game or what not do it strictly for entertainment and might be there for the "experience" only, so seeing different colors/designs could just add to their enjoyment, and if that's what helps bring in the fans, then I know the league/owners are all for it. Anyway, I like how some of the other leagues do it with the home colors and the away whites, b/c, as small as it may be, I think the home team gets a boost from wearing "their colors" while the visitors have to usually wear white [which to me generally signifies surrender or some sort of acquiescing].

Sometimes I think this could be cut down by teams adopting the both the home and road jerseys of a certain year as their hardwood classics. So on a hardwood classic night, the home team would wear their home jersey, the away team would wear their road jersey. But I guess that would just result in an even greater overabundance of alternates.

thats EXACTLY what would happen and that wouldn't be a good thing.

'd love to see the NBA make a rule that if a team is going to wear throwback unis during a particular season, those are the only alts they'll be allowed to wear. Each team would only be allowed 1 alternate jersey. Never going to happen, but I can dream.

I think a lot of the "white at home" crowd is simply being influenced by the "that's what we're used to" mindset. We're used to whites at home, so that's what we prefer. In the NHL's case, however, darks at home were the norm for years before whites, and I'm sure people complained back in the 70's when they made the switch about darks at home being what they were used to. Give it time, and in twenty years the younger kids on this board will be talking about how darks at home just makes sense.

With the NBA I'm sure the change to darks at home could be made with relative ease. Most teams wear their alternates and coloured throwbacks at home, so I'm sure the NBA could switch to darks at home with little to no resistance from the fans. Plus Sacramento wouldn't even need to change their home and road sets :D

Really though, the more I think about it, the more I like STL's take on the clash kit idea. Take the NHL for example. Some teams' "primary" uniforms are in fact the whites, like Toronto and Detroit, while some teams are known for their darks, like Chicago, New York Rangers, and Montreal. So let each team designate a primary, and have the home team switch if there's a clash. So if the Rangers played the Leafs in Toronto, no problem. The Rangers would be in their primary blues against the Leafs in their primary whites. When the Red Wings come to the ACC, however, the Leafs would switch to their clash blue sweaters to play the Red Wings. Similarly, if the two teams played in Detroit, Toronto would wear their primary whites and the Red Wings would wear their clash red sweaters.

I think a lot of the "white at home" crowd is simply being influenced by the "that's what we're used to" mindset. We're used to whites at home, so that's what we prefer. In the NHL's case, however, darks at home were the norm for years before whites, and I'm sure people complained back in the 70's when they made the switch about darks at home being what they were used to. Give it time, and in twenty years the younger kids on this board will be talking about how darks at home just makes sense.

With the NBA I'm sure the change to darks at home could be made with relative ease. Most teams wear their alternates and coloured throwbacks at home, so I'm sure the NBA could switch to darks at home with little to no resistance from the fans. Plus Sacramento wouldn't even need to change their home and road sets :D

Really though, the more I think about it, the more I like STL's take on the clash kit idea. Take the NHL for example. Some teams' "primary" uniforms are in fact the whites, like Toronto and Detroit, while some teams are known for their darks, like Chicago, New York Rangers, and Montreal. So let each team designate a primary, and have the home team switch if there's a clash. So if the Rangers played the Leafs in Toronto, no problem. The Rangers would be in their primary blues against the Leafs in their primary whites. When the Red Wings come to the ACC, however, the Leafs would switch to their clash blue sweaters to play the Red Wings. Similarly, if the two teams played in Detroit, Toronto would wear their primary whites and the Red Wings would wear their clash red sweaters.

I've always liked that idea... like soccer. Not home and away, just primary and secondary. The only downside to that is there will be teams that almost never wear their secondary jerseys (Cowboys navy, Dolphins Teal).

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I've always liked that idea... like soccer. Not home and away, just primary and secondary. The only downside to that is there will be teams that almost never wear their secondary jerseys (Cowboys navy, Dolphins Teal).

Well they would if they were the home team in clash game. If Montreal visited Chicago then Chicago would wear their secondary sweaters (probably whites) to avoid having their primary reds clashing with the reds of the visiting Habs.

The New Orleans Hornets could've worn their teal uniforms home and away against like 90% of the league before they scrapped their perfectly acceptable jerseys for overdesigned pajamas. That would've been kinda cool.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

One of the problems with this plan is that it may hurt sales of the "clash" jersey, since it wouldn't be worn much (if at all in some cases.) With leagues being driven by marketing now, this wouldn't fly.

Outside of the business aspect of it, I like it and would endorse it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

One of the problems with this plan is that it may hurt sales of the "clash" jersey, since it wouldn't be worn much (if at all in some cases.) With leagues being driven by marketing now, this wouldn't fly.

Outside of the business aspect of it, I like it and would endorse it.

Ah, very true. Oh well.

Archived