NFL 2010-2011

bowld

I think the new conference logos will continue to grow on me. As for the trophies, I honestly liked the old ones. It's just hard for me to look at the new designs and think "Lamar Hunt Trophy" or "George Hallas Trophy" (I hope they at least kept the names, do we really have to abandon the legends of the past?). It gives me more of a CFL or Arena Football vibe. As for the new playoff logos; I like that they are consistent, but the old ones will look much better on the field.

Thus far, I'd say it's a down grade.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are those conference championship trophies, or paperweights?

My goodness how do you present those? By handoff?

I can see someone fumbling it and breaking it.

I also liked the previous conference championship game logos.

On a side note, are they going to discontinue an old ex NFL-er

getting pummeled trying to bring the Lombardi trophy to the stand?

That's just 15 minutes of time I never get back.

Just let Nantz or Bradshaw carry it out during construction of the podium.

sig-1.png

it will be no different than the ncaa trophy

2009-BCS-National-Championship.jpg

NCAA trophy is one of the dumbest looking prizes in sports.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Besides, I keep thinking that with no way to salvage their current look, maybe the next best thing would be to make a green version of the classic Lambeau unis (actually... that would be MUCH better than what they have now). Hopefully this is a way for the team to test the waters for such a switch.

I keep holding out hope they go with aborted Wolfe uniforms from '94.

You and me both, brother. But it isn't going to happen. That window has long since closed.

They need to do something, though. The cold hard reality is that Lombardi's design just doesn't fit on the modern template. Uniform construction requires a new uniform design. And yes, that smell in the air is a concept a-brewin'.... ;)

What were the Lambeau-era uniforms like vis-a-vis the current ones or the '96 ones? That could be cool, as long as they're green and gold. I'm just wary of doing the New York Titans all over again, you know?

They wore a few different styles during the Lambeau-era, but the ones considered the "classics" were what the Packers wore for their '94 throwbacks... except the pants actually matched the helmets. Hopefully they'll get that right this go-round.

This is the classic Lambeau-era uniform (the 1994 throwbacks were based on this):

packers550water.jpg

Blue jersey with gold yoke and numbers, gold pants, blue socks (sometimes with two gold stripes). It was worn with a leather helmet painted gold:

4403440865_01d0897b2e.jpg

If they wanted a green and gold throwback, the choices are fairly limited. There was a short-lived green and gold version of Curly's yoked uniform, but it was only worn once in a pre-season game. Or they could go with the white jersey with green from 1938.

That would leave only the 1935-36 kelly green and gold, the only green uniform Curly's boys wore during a World Championship season. Here they are in action:

4404199274_c3cc7328ab_b.jpg

The new Packers throwbacks will reportedly be based upon this uniform, from 1929:

uniform-735591.jpg

Blue jersey with blue number in gold circle, canvas pants, blue socks. Brown helmet to mimic the leather versions worn by some players during this season.

I love seeing those old photos of games being played. It looks like they're playin' in my Grandma's back yard.

Anyone know of some good sights that have old vintage photos?

I have some more 1930s/40s Packers game shots and video on my blog. Here's another look at the then-brand new 1935 Packers uniforms, from training camp in Rhinelander, WI:

4403628505_dd9f9b5e5c_b.jpg

Link's now in my sig.

Sorry, don't mean to derail the conversation. Getting back on topic, I really like the idea of the NCAA trophy - a crystal football has a lot of possibilities, but something is lost in the execution.

Trophies need to be tall. They need to be able to be held triumphantly over one's head. Maybe not LCS, or conference trophies, but definately the overall championship trophies. Would the Stanley Cup be so reveered if not for the images of team captains hoisting it over head and then passing it around during the victory lap? It's a little less dramatic if it's literally just a cup.

I guess I make an exception for the Commissioner's trophy, but I'm not sure why. Maybe because it's all I've known, but it would be nice if baseball had some kind of iconic prize to play for. You don't see that delicate trophy getting passed around and raised with one arm overhead.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sure you do. Well, passed around and raised aloft, at any rate. When they redesigned it in 2000 they made it pretty hardy - the reason people don't hoist it with one hand is because the sucker's heavy. You don't see many players holding up the Stanley Cup with one hand, either.

alex-rodriguez-trophy.jpgphillies-19.jpglarge_phillies-world-series-trophy.JPGp1_pedro_trophy_all.jpgws8.png

trophy1.jpg

And, a blast from the past:

1190332340.jpg

I think the Commissioner's Trophy fulfills all the requirements you list - it's tall and visually distinct.

I think it's just too delicate and "nice". You can only hold it by the base. The others you can just grab and hoist up. To me, the others are just more iconic too - probably because they are distinct solid shapes, where as there's so many pieces (the flags and stems) to the commissioner's. You occasionally hear about the NFL players playing for the Lombardi trophy, the NBA players wear their trophy as patches during the Finals, and the Cup... well, it's the freaking Cup. There seems to be less affection for the Commissioner's trophy than any of the others.

What were the Lambeau-era uniforms like vis-a-vis the current ones or the '96 ones? That could be cool, as long as they're green and gold. I'm just wary of doing the New York Titans all over again, you know?

They wore a few different styles during the Lambeau-era, but the ones considered the "classics" were what the Packers wore for their '94 throwbacks... except the pants actually matched the helmets. Hopefully they'll get that right this go-round.

This is the classic Lambeau-era uniform (the 1994 throwbacks were based on this):

packers550water.jpg

Blue jersey with gold yoke and numbers, gold pants, blue socks (sometimes with two gold stripes). It was worn with a leather helmet painted gold:

4403440865_01d0897b2e.jpg

If they wanted a green and gold throwback, the choices are fairly limited. There was a short-lived green and gold version of Curly's yoked uniform, but it was only worn once in a pre-season game. Or they could go with the white jersey with green from 1938.

That would leave only the 1935-36 kelly green and gold, the only green uniform Curly's boys wore during a World Championship season. Here they are in action:

4404199274_c3cc7328ab_b.jpg

The new Packers throwbacks will reportedly be based upon this uniform, from 1929:

uniform-735591.jpg

Blue jersey with blue number in gold circle, canvas pants, blue socks. Brown helmet to mimic the leather versions worn by some players during this season.

Not a big fan of this aesthetic. I like new designs inspired by traditional stylings, but this isn't it. I agree that at some point, the Packers need to consider a new design. I would love it if they could manage to use the colors from the '29 set in a future update.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

it will be no different than the ncaa trophy

2009-BCS-National-Championship.jpg

No, they'll be different in one important way. You won't have to worry about clumsy people knocking them to the floor. From April 2008:

===

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) ? Stop the conspiracy theories: it wasn't a jealous rival who broke the Florida Gators' 2006 National Championship trophy.

It was a prospective player, a high school tight end from Tampa, who says it was an accidental bump that destroyed the $35,000 crystal trophy last week.

Orson Charles says he was on a tour when he snapped pictures of quarterback Tim Tebow's Heisman trophy and toppled the BCS trophy.

===

Story

doh_homer_left.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Oh, I don't really like the shoulder yoke. I'd prefer the Packers just leave their uniforms alone then. Maybe white striped socks to go with the white jerseys but even that's not needed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived