NFL 2010-2011

bowld

NCAA trophy is one of the dumbest looking prizes in sports.

Looks like something my grandma would have in her ornament cabinet.

agreed and didn't Tom Cruise's mom have something like that on top of the fireplace in the movie Risky Business? I haven't seen that movie in forever, so I could be wrong

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What were the Lambeau-era uniforms like vis-a-vis the current ones or the '96 ones? That could be cool, as long as they're green and gold. I'm just wary of doing the New York Titans all over again, you know?

They wore a few different styles during the Lambeau-era, but the ones considered the "classics" were what the Packers wore for their '94 throwbacks... except the pants actually matched the helmets. Hopefully they'll get that right this go-round.

This is the classic Lambeau-era uniform (the 1994 throwbacks were based on this):

packers550water.jpg

Blue jersey with gold yoke and numbers, gold pants, blue socks (sometimes with two gold stripes). It was worn with a leather helmet painted gold:

Very nice. I'd love to see the Packers do a version of this for an alt (but with forest green instead of navy). I think it would translate well into the new cuts of uniforms given the players wore long sleeve undershirts to keep the long sleeve aesthetic. Maybe use the current yellow helmet minus the stripe?

The new Packers throwbacks will reportedly be based upon this uniform, from 1929:

uniform-735591.jpg

Blue jersey with blue number in gold circle, canvas pants, blue socks. Brown helmet to mimic the leather versions worn by some players during this season.

That'll be... interesting. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know how they can pull that off without ending up with something most people would be embarassed to leave the locker room in. I'd have preferred they went with the 94 throwbacks which would look very classy if they got it right. Those 1936 unis would look nice too... easily transferrable to todays unis AND it would mean the Packers would be wearing a unique shade of green again (damn Jets).

Link's now in my sig.

Sorry, don't mean to derail the conversation. Getting back on topic, I really like the idea of the NCAA trophy - a crystal football has a lot of possibilities, but something is lost in the execution.

Trophies need to be tall. They need to be able to be held triumphantly over one's head. Maybe not LCS, or conference trophies, but definately the overall championship trophies. Would the Stanley Cup be so reveered if not for the images of team captains hoisting it over head and then passing it around during the victory lap? It's a little less dramatic if it's literally just a cup.

I guess I make an exception for the Commissioner's trophy, but I'm not sure why. Maybe because it's all I've known, but it would be nice if baseball had some kind of iconic prize to play for. You don't see that delicate trophy getting passed around and raised with one arm overhead.

Agreed.

A Championship trophy (even if its a conference trophy) needs to be big and prominent. These new NFL conference trophies look terrible to say the least. Maybe we aren't privy to the actual size of them from the pics but they are pretty bad looking IMO. I hope its not as bad as it looks.

They're conference championship trophies... who cares? :P

If they MUST have special trophies to signify conference titles, why not just use the old AFL and NFL trophies. I couldn't find a picture of the NFL version, but here's the AFL

AFL_Trophies_630.jpg

I always thought that eagles were a funny thing to put on a trophy. How does an eagle signify a championship? Please spare me the obvious cheap jokes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I always thought that eagles were a funny thing to put on a trophy. How does an eagle signify a championship? Please spare me the obvious cheap jokes.

AFL = American Football League

Eagles (bald, specifically) = national symbol of the USA

Eagles have always just represented pride and great achievements. The highest rank in the BSA is Eagle Scout.

AFL = American Football League

Eagles (bald, specifically) = national symbol of the USA

Eagles have always just represented pride and great achievements. The highest rank in the BSA is Eagle Scout.

Plus...you know, this whole thing:

6394.gif

being a symbol of the league and all

It'd make more sense if they used eagles that actually looked like the one in the logo then. My comment wasn't limited to the AFL. I don't get how every generic trophy has an eagle on it, how the old WWF belt had an eagle on it (not that it didn't look cool though), etc. I just don't get how eagle = winner. If they're going to use an animal to symbolize dominance then they should put a lion head on there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Like I said, it's because the eagle has long been the national symbol of the USA. The eagle is just a bird that has come to represent dominance, championships, etc. It's like the lion's head.

Like I said, it's because the eagle has long been the national symbol of the USA. The eagle is just a bird that has come to represent dominance, championships, etc. It's like the lion's head.

Look at the MLB's leagues' logos. American have the eagle while the National don't. Guess how it's you interpret the meaning of the eagle in a logo.

Look at the MLB's leagues' logos. American have the eagle while the National don't. Guess how it's you interpret the meaning of the eagle in a logo.

Um...

National%20League%20Logo.jpeg

Pats third next year's another throwback (per the team Twitter):

realpatriots To answer various Qs: Last year, we wore 1963 AFL replicas. In 2010, we're back to more popular '85 style Throwbacks. Slight difference.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

It'd make more sense if they used eagles that actually looked like the one in the logo then. My comment wasn't limited to the AFL. I don't get how every generic trophy has an eagle on it, how the old WWF belt had an eagle on it (not that it didn't look cool though), etc. I just don't get how eagle = winner. If they're going to use an animal to symbolize dominance then they should put a lion head on there.

maybe this will help you get why it is so often used in these cases:

http://www.baldeagleinfo.com/eagle/eagle9.html

(quick quote)

It is said the eagle was used as a national emblem because, at one of the first battles of the Revolution (which occurred early in the morning) the noise of the struggle awoke the sleeping eagles on the heights and they flew from their nests and circled about over the heads of the fighting men, all the while giving vent to their raucous cries. "They are shrieking for Freedom," said the patriots.

Thus the eagle, full of the boundless spirit of freedom, living above the valleys, strong and powerful in his might, has become the national emblem of a country that offers freedom in word and thought and an opportunity for a full and free expansion into the boundless space of the future.

getting back to NFL uniforms, the way I see it we've only got a few that absolutely NEED to change for the sake of league harmony. sure, you could tweak or adjust every team in some way, but there are only a couple that stick out like sore thumbs. where, if the league cares about such things, they are a detriment to the overall aesthetic of the NFL:

New York Jets

Buffalo Bills

It's not right that they are allowed to continue in those uniforms. It almost seems like spite that they do. The NFL is so micromanagerial about things- how they haven't stepped in and put pressure on the owners to correct those things is a mystery.

What exactly is wrong with the Jets and Bills uniforms? Because your opinion doesn't make a uniform design wrong.

Well, of course he's calling out the Bills 'cause their uniforms are just brutally ugly, top to bottom.

As for the Jets, perhaps he's pointing to their sloppy looking sleeves?... (Yeah, I can't stand 'em either.)

0706_nfl_pace.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

If we're going to use that as the criteria, then the Colts, Steelers, Browns, Bears and Packers are all "detriment(s) to the overall aesthetic of the NFL". They all have sleeve stripes which are in some way truncated by the contemporary uniform templates (not to mention the new one next year, which will make the problem much, much worse).

If we're going to use that as the criteria, then the Colts, Steelers, Browns, Bears and Packers are all "detriment(s) to the overall aesthetic of the NFL". They all have sleeve stripes which are in some way truncated by the contemporary uniform templates (not to mention the new one next year, which will make the problem much, much worse).

I agree somewhat, but none of those teams look nearly as sloppy as this:

nick-mangold.jpg

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived