NFL 2010-2011

bowld

I have minimal design skills, so I can't really illustrate what I'm thinking, but I feel those logos would have looked much better with 2 stars in each "leg" of their respective Conference's letter rather than the 4 in one diagonal.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I retract what I said. I made unofficial vectors of the two logos, shrunk them down to a smaller size, and they actually don't look half bad. At large sizes, yes, they're ugly, but when shrunk down, they aren't so bad.

Plus, I've looked at them several times now and they really aren't too bad. I'm sure we'll get used to them in due time.

I wonder if what you just mentioned coupled with the fact that I'm seeing them one on top of the other is making them seem worse then they are. I bet if I saw them in an end zone for example, that they might look just fine. I still think they should have gone with an outline around each letter as someone had mentioned on here in a previous page in this thread.

I guess like everything else in life: it could have been worse.

What sucks when they're right next to each other is that the angle of declination of the stars is different, and just looks bad IMO. There's no real way to fix this, so I just hope that they don't actually use the logos this way too much.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What sucks when they're right next to each other is that the angle of declination of the stars is different, and just looks bad IMO. There's no real way to fix this, so I just hope that they don't actually use the logos this way too much.

The angle of the stars bugs the hell out of me too. But I think if they are displayed on their own that it wouldn't be so noticeable. Its the only time I have ever seen them on top of each other so I would imagine that they won't be utilizing them in that manner very often....or at least one can only hope that they won't.

I actually don't dislike the new conference logos that much anymore. Seeing them against a dark background and with the NFL shield logo, they actually do have a pretty modern look to them.

So, do vectors of these logos exist yet? Because there are some edits I'd like to try out with these new logos.

Also, is it my imagination, or is the right side of the "A" with the four stars wider than the left side? They seem like they're the same size, but I tried coloring over the stars using the available raster images, and when I did so, it seemed like the right side was wider. And if that's the case, that's bad design, I think.

What sucks when they're right next to each other is that the angle of declination of the stars is different, and just looks bad IMO.

This was even more true of the old logos, you know. The old logos not only had stars at different inclinations, they had different number of stars in two different locations (outside the letter vs. inside the letter.) These new logos at least are far more consistent in terms of height and number of stars.

I don't think they're all that bad, but the angles of the stars are a real downer.

Someone made the suggestion that two stars apiece should be placed in each of the letters' bases, which I'd like to try. It would look weird, but at least it'd be more consistent placement.

Kinda wish they had the stars on the outside of the A so that it stayed true to the AFL logo. The NFC logo, who cares.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not a fan of the stars inside the A. Not only does it ruin a great AFL homage, it also looks unbalanced.

Kinda wish they had the stars on the outside of the A so that it stayed true to the AFL logo. The NFC logo, who cares.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not a fan of the stars inside the A. Not only does it ruin a great AFL homage, it also looks unbalanced.

That's because it is unbalanced. Here, I made a version that more or less emulates the new logo, sans the stars:

AFC_PRM_2010.png

You can see that the right side is clearly wider than the left side, which is bad. If the stars were too thick to fit on the left side's width, then the entire letter should have been widened. Having one half wider than the other half is just bad design, imo. At least the older logos were more or less symmetrical.

That's because it is unbalanced. Here, I made a version that more or less emulates the new logo, sans the stars:

AFC_PRM_2010.png

You can see that the right side is clearly wider than the left side, which is bad. If the stars were too thick to fit on the left side's width, then the entire letter should have been widened. Having one half wider than the other half is just bad design, imo. At least the older logos were more or less symmetrical.

So they had to actually mess with the width of half of the A just to make it sort of look like the NFC logo? That makes me like this "update" even less. Again, the NFC logo is alright, 'cause to paraphrase admiral, who cares? They could have, though, introduced the new font and keylines while still maintaining the AFL homage with the AFC logo.

The NFL fell short on this, I'm afraid.

New modified AFC and NFC marks for next season...nothing earth-shattering, they just match up a little better with the newer NFL logo.

I'll post when it's "safe".

I imagined they would do something like this, but its probably too earth shattering:

NFCAFC.jpg

I dont think my 5 min. guess looks too bad now that i see these...

Archived