NFL 2010-2011

bowld

Well, FWIW, Uniwatch Blog (scroll down to the NFL logo) says that there are "new third jerseys for the Colts", with "'updated' thirds for the Cardinals (?), Eagles, Patriots and one other team [possibly the Bears]."

Let me guess: the Cards third will be black, the Eagles, still black, Pats, throwback, and the Bears will dump their orange for a throwback. Thoughts?

(God help us if it is a black jersey)

You said it:

AZcardinalsblack.jpg

(Yep, that's from Buc's old Monochrome Madness thread ^_^ )

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say it puts the Texans' bull head to shame.

I disagree. The logo posted has the feel that it was thrown together. The star isn't integrated into the flag, it's just slapped on top of it. It looks like it's one or two drafts away from the idea being fully realized. The Texans' logo, on the other hand, is an instant classic. It's rare that an expansion franchise gets it completely right on the first go around in terms of their identity, but the Texans nailed it.

Well, FWIW, Uniwatch Blog (scroll down to the NFL logo) says that there are "new third jerseys for the Colts", with "'updated' thirds for the Cardinals (?), Eagles, Patriots and one other team [possibly the Bears]."

Let me guess: the Cards third will be black, the Eagles, still black, Pats, throwback, and the Bears will dump their orange for a throwback. Thoughts?

You said it:

AZcardinalsblack.jpg

I don't think the black jersey looks bad, but it doesn't make any sense for a team called the Cardinals.

Black for the sake of black is pointless... The Lions wore black, why? The Eagles wore black, why? And now the Cards, why? I don't understand this recent trend of "cool" black uniforms.

You said it:

AZcardinalsblack.jpg

I don't think the black jersey looks bad, but it doesn't make any sense for a team called the Cardinals.

Black for the sake of black is pointless... The Lions wore black, why? The Eagles wore black, why? And now the Cards, why? I don't understand this recent trend of "cool" black uniforms.

You just summed up my thoughts, PERFECTLY.

That USFL logo looks like it belongs on a bumper sticker for a country radio station circa 1981, with "WBCO means Wild Bronco Country!" written in the Marlboro typeface.

EDIT: oh WLAF not USFL

EDIT 2: ultimately who really cares

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think Paul Lukas revealed more info on the Colts' alternate uniform the other day, if I recall correctly. I also think someone left a comment there speculating that the Eagles would be celebrating the 50th Anniversary of their 1960 NFL Championship.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

What are the chances the Eagles do something throwback...ish?

I'd say slim to none. For one, the post mentioned "modifications", not a brand new one. For another, the owner and president pretty much deny that the team existed prior to them coming in and changing the colors. That yellow throwback a few years ago was a special thing for the 75th anniversary, and goes back far enough that they don't feel threatened by it. I really think that they are threatened by the popularity of the kelly green, the old players, Buddy Ryan, and the Vet.

They'll fold given due time and pressure. Look at the Buccaneers. They denied pre-Glazer existence for as long as they could. If Central Floridians, fair-weather fans in both senses of the term, can finally get their team to relent on a dumb stance, just think what a motivated and unified Philadelphia contingent can do.

Two things:

1. It's not like they're not going to sell out every game and not still have a waiting list for tickets if they don't bring back the kelly.

2. Sure, people like the kelly, and wish they'd exhume Jerome Brown's body and have it stuffed and placed permanently on the sidelines, but it's not like there's any "pressure". You're not going to see 100,000 Eagles fans outside of team offices picketing over bringing back a jersey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think Paul Lukas revealed more info on the Colts' alternate uniform the other day, if I recall correctly. I also think someone left a comment there speculating that the Eagles would be celebrating the 50th Anniversary of their 1960 NFL Championship.

that should have been the 75th anniversary uniform.

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

I disagree. The logo posted has the feel that it was thrown together. The star isn't integrated into the flag, it's just slapped on top of it. It looks like it's one or two drafts away from the idea being fully realized. The Texans' logo, on the other hand, is an instant classic. It's rare that an expansion franchise gets it completely right on the first go around in terms of their identity, but the Texans nailed it.

You are absolutely right - it's a great logo.

I think they botched just about everything else, from the helmet color to the team's name, but they logo is spot-on.

I think they botched just about everything else, from the helmet color to the team's name, but they logo is spot-on.

What color should the helmet have been? If white, then I agree with you.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

The latest Style Guide for the Cardinals shows a section for the "Classic" uniforms, which are, of course, the old Red jersey, old White pants, and old logo.

Bumpin' my own post to further remind everyone what is already in place.

Doesn't mean that they aren't trotting something else out however...

Nothing's wrong with the navy helmets, it's just that the white helmets looked even cooler. The only thing they botched was giving themselves the option to dress up as blood clots.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Nothing's wrong with the navy helmets, it's just that the white helmets looked even cooler. The only thing they botched was giving themselves the option to dress up as blood clots.

Currently, they've also gotten into the habit of wearing the wrong socks with their navy pants.

(Completely fitting that my 1000st post should be yet another rant about socks! I'm so proud...)

Currently, they've also gotten into the habit of wearing the wrong socks with their navy pants.

(Completely fitting that my 1000st post should be yet another rant about socks! I'm so proud...)

Completely agree. This is STILL my favorite road uni of ANY NFL team:

andrejohnson.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Completely agree. This is STILL my favorite road uni of ANY NFL team:

andrejohnson.jpg

Those red socks stick out like a sore thumb.

There is a good reason they aren't being worn with the blue pants anymore. They look goofy.

I think every team in the NFL should trot out a "throwemback" uniform.

What the hell do the Colts need a throwback uniform for? They already have grey facemasks, black shoes and a uniform that basically hasn't changed in 40 years. You can't get any more "old school" then the Colts uniforms.

The Packers need a throwback? Really? The Packers?

The Bears? The Bears are one of the few teams left wearing the striped socks with white pants and have Halas initials on their jerseys. Another pointless throwback team.

As Tim Brando so correctly says, the "throwback" thing is played out and a "NFL thing" at this point.

And the Lions and Eagles had/have black jerseys because BLACK IS A PART OF THEIR COLOR SCHEME!!! Are some of you people just plain blind? No different then the Chargers using light blue or the Texans using red as an alternate jersey.

If anything, the Eagles should wear all green a couple of times a year. It would look "kick-ass", with the black socks and black shoes. Especially, at night.

If anything, the Eagles should wear all green a couple of times a year. It would look "kick-ass", with the black socks and black shoes. Especially, at night.

I know the Eagles went full-green shortly after making the switch to their current color scheme. I believe it was a Monday night game against the Cowboys. The green pants didn't look as good back then, though, with only a single black stripe down each side. Don't know if they've gone full-green since, but with the black socks, it could work. Oh, and those black socks are pretty much the reason I dig the Eagles pairing the black jersey with green pants. My favorite uniform setup, generally speaking, is having one color for the helmet and pants, and a second color for the jersey and socks. To me, it just looks so balanced.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What color should the helmet have been? If white, then I agree with you.

A couple of quick comments...I totally agree that the logo is a classic. It just works in so many ways.

Secondly, I personally never liked the white helmets. I don't love the navy but I still think its a better choice then the white. Maybe silver would have been a nice choice. Maybe even a Vegas gold. I would have been interesting to see what their color scheme would look like if it were Navy, red, white and gold. Could work....or maybe it would flop. Who knows? In the end I think they made a choice that works enough for it not to totally suck.

Archived