NFL 2010-2011

bowld

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda wish they had the stars on the outside of the A so that it stayed true to the AFL logo. The NFC logo, who cares.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not a fan of the stars inside the A. Not only does it ruin a great AFL homage, it also looks unbalanced.

That's because it is unbalanced. Here, I made a version that more or less emulates the new logo, sans the stars:

AFC_PRM_2010.png

You can see that the right side is clearly wider than the left side, which is bad. If the stars were too thick to fit on the left side's width, then the entire letter should have been widened. Having one half wider than the other half is just bad design, imo. At least the older logos were more or less symmetrical.

Even if the two sides of the A were perfectly equal in weight, they would not be visually equal. The side with the stars would look thinner. Thus, you have to thicken that side to visually balance them. Furthermore, if you look at lots of serif typefaces, there are variations in the thicknesses of the parts of the letterforms. It's part of the design. You can see the similarity of these letters to the Endzone font, but they obviously had to be designed independently because of their extreme thickness. The angled part of the N is probably thicker than the vertical parts as well.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I still can't decided whether or not I like these. Sometimes I see them and think that they're a nice modernization to logos that were looking kind of dated. Then there are other times where I can't stand that they looked unbalanced.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I still can't decided whether or not I like these. Sometimes I see them and think that they're a nice modernization to logos that were looking kind of dated. Then there are other times where I can't stand that they looked unbalanced.

I think they'll look nice once we actually see them on the field during a game.

The old NFC & AFC logos were outdated so just about anything new would be a fix. The NFC logo is great. The AFC logo looks unbalanced with white stars all over the right side of the letter A. Just a little something I will need to get used to, and nothing more. Conference logos aren't seen that much on TV anyway.

The old NFC & AFC logos were outdated so just about anything new would be a fix. The NFC logo is great. The AFC logo looks unbalanced with white stars all over the right side of the letter A. Just a little something I will need to get used to, and nothing more. Conference logos aren't seen that much on TV anyway.

Other then the number of stars, how were the old conference logos outdated?

With the new set, I don't mind the font, and I actually like the keylines. They also got the number of stars right, and in the right position on the NFC logo. They totally botched the AFC "update" though.

Perhaps they could have placed to stars on each leg of the A to balance it out,

and keep them the same size.

I don't think that would be a big deal, especially since

the slant angle does not match that of the stars

in the N.

I loved the old logos, but I can say that

I feel these updates aren't too bad.

sig-1.png

I, personally, really like the new AFC and NFC logos.

I like how they look next to the shield especially.

I would much rather the AFC and NFC logos be the same dimensions, than have the same angle for the stars; I think doing both would be near impossible.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

With the new set, I don't mind the font, and I actually like the keylines. They also got the number of stars right, and in the right position on the NFC logo. They totally botched the AFC "update" though.

One has numbers on the outside of the letter, the other on the inside. Another form of unbalancement. I would also say the number of stars, but you mentionned it first.

The old conference logos never used the same typeface that was found on either of the two NFL "shield" logos. The new conferences logos do use the same typeface that's found on 2008 shield revision. The old conference logos had a seemingly random number of stars... NFC had three for the three old divisions, while the AFC had six stars, despite the fact the AFL never had six franchises at any point in time: it started with eight and expanded to 10, IIRC. The new conference logos now have the correct number of stars, four each, representing the four divisions that make up each conference, and the stars are the exact ones found on the NFL shield, for more consistency. And finally, the old conference logos didn't have consistent star placement: some were outside the letter, some were inside the letter. The new conference logos have put both star groupings on the inside right, though the angles are different.

This is all info that has already been stated, but I think it explains why the new conference logos are arguably better than the older ones. Have a more consistent look when compared to other NFL logos, and actually look nice against a dark background. I originally hated these logos, but now I really like them.

Oh My GOD why?!?!?!?!

The nfl just has the worst logos now!

They are keeping the same SB logo for ever!!!!!!

They just made the AFC and NFC logos worse!

The NFL draft logos are the same!

And the pro bowl is now beofre the super bowl!

The only worst thing that can happen is if the they change the nfl logo to something bad!

Oh My GOD why?!?!?!?!

The nfl just has the worst logos now!

They are keeping the same SB logo for ever!!!!!!

They just made the AFC and NFC logos worse!

The NFL draft logos are the same!

And the pro bowl is now beofre the super bowl!

The only worst thing that can happen is if the they change the nfl logo to something bad!

Sometimes its really hard to tell whether or not someone is trying to be funny, isn't it?

The old conference logos never used the same typeface that was found on either of the two NFL "shield" logos. The new conferences logos do use the same typeface that's found on 2008 shield revision. The old conference logos had a seemingly random number of stars... NFC had three for the three old divisions, while the AFC had six stars, despite the fact the AFL never had six franchises at any point in time: it started with eight and expanded to 10, IIRC. The new conference logos now have the correct number of stars, four each, representing the four divisions that make up each conference, and the stars are the exact ones found on the NFL shield, for more consistency. And finally, the old conference logos didn't have consistent star placement: some were outside the letter, some were inside the letter. The new conference logos have put both star groupings on the inside right, though the angles are different.

This is all info that has already been stated, but I think it explains why the new conference logos are arguably better than the older ones. Have a more consistent look when compared to other NFL logos, and actually look nice against a dark background. I originally hated these logos, but now I really like them.

I don't mind the new font, or the standardization of four stars each. What I do take issue with is the seemingly OCD-minded NFL's need to stick the stars in the AFC logo on the outside of the A. I don't see how the AFC logo having stars on the outside was this massive crisis that had to be rectified. It was a clever homage to the AFL logo, the logo that the AFC grew out of. That design could have worked with the new four stars and font.

The fact that they threw out such a clever homage in the name over-done consistency make this a downgrade for me.

I don't mind the new font, or the standardization of four stars each. What I do take issue with is the seemingly OCD-minded NFL's need to stick the stars in the AFC logo on the outside of the A. I don't see how the AFC logo having stars on the outside was this massive crisis that had to be rectified. It was a clever homage to the AFL logo, the logo that the AFC grew out of. That design could have worked with the new four stars and font.

The fact that they threw out such a clever homage in the name over-done consistency make this a downgrade for me.

How many logos do you see these days that aren't (for lack of a better term) "self contained"? I can't think of any logos designed in the past 5 or 6 years that consist of more than a single main piece (something that can be applied as a patch as opposed to separate pieces like the stars would be.) I'm not sure if this has to do with reproduction, or if it's just a design trend, but you see it everywhere. You don't really see jerseys like the NYR being designed anymore (the Capitals comes to mind as a script-based logo, but even they avoided individually-applied elements and went the patch route.) Even in baseball, which is where lettering and scripts are the most prominent, you see this - look at the new Diamondbacks stuff - it's letters, but they're all one single element. Same with the Rays. I'm sure that in baseball, where there are more teams routed in tradition, there may be a few exceptions, but not really anywhere else.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I get that, but given the limited use the Conference logos see, I have to believe that the stars outside the A (AFL style) wouldn't have been a problem at all.

It doesn't even seem like the decision to place the stars in the A was made for practical purposes. The NFL's over-hyper OCD just wanted it to mimic the NFC logo. Yet it fails in that because the different angles of the stars is really glaring when seen side by side. Plus, with all the stars on one side, it looks really unbalanced. So yeah, downgrade on all fronts to me.

I get that, but given the limited use the Conference logos see, I have to believe that the stars outside the A (AFL style) wouldn't have been a problem at all.

It doesn't even seem like the decision to place the stars in the A was made for practical purposes. The NFL's over-hyper OCD just wanted it to mimic the NFC logo. Yet it fails in that because the different angles of the stars is really glaring when seen side by side. Plus, with all the stars on one side, it looks really unbalanced. So yeah, downgrade on all fronts to me.

But honestly, when are they ever seen side by side, except in the style guide (as seen above). I can't really think of a good example.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

But honestly, when are they ever seen side by side, except in the style guide (as seen above). I can't really think of a good example.

Sometimes during the playoffs, you'll see networks that display a playoff bracket, with a conference logo at the top of each bracket. NFL's own website also has all the teams in a long horizontal list, with the conference logos preceding each grouping of 16 teams.

Archived