2009-10 NFL off season thread

Saintsfan

I'd love to see McNabb in a Cardinals uniform, I think he could do some damage with one of the best WR corps in the league.

Also, BBTV, what are Eagles fans view on Brian Westbrook? Do you guys want him back or do you feel he's more of a backup now?

Don't get me wrong here - Westbrook is one of the all-timers for this franchise, but he is constantly hurt and can't be depended on, and now with his concussion and knee issues, it's probably better for him to retire. The team didn't pick up his option, and they don't seem to have interest in bringing back a guy who is only good for (at most) 12 games a year, and would likely be a backup right now. That doesn't mean that the fans don't love the guy for all he did earlier in his career. It's a shame that he was just so fragile. If he does decide to continue playing, and gets a shot somewhere else, I really hope that he puts together one more great season.

EDIT: the Eagles pass-to-run ratio is ridiculous. There's been games where they've run it 10 times. Reid has a blind faith in McNabb's ability to throw (though it usually ends up behind people or at their feet) and loves the screen to Westbrook (which is very effective, but not when they run it 10 times per game.)

With Kolb at QB, the run/pass ratio was more balanced, and with McCoy and Weaver (assuming he re-signs), there's two guys that have different skill sets than Westbrook, so that should also help the ratio. Westbrook was perfect in the Reid version of "west coast", but that offense clearly wasn't good enough against the tough defenses. You have to be able to run the ball.

I'd really love to see the Eagles commit to running the ball - I mean, I'd give McCoy 60 to 70 carries a game if I could. He's young - he can handle it. However, I don't think the Eagles are going to get anywhere near that kind of commitment to the run while Andy Reid is coach.

LvZYtbZ.png

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not arguing in favor of no salary cap or revenue sharing, but a couple of things to remember about the MLB; firstly teams other than the Red Sox and Yankees win titles. Money may be an indicator of the liklehood of success but it's no guarantee of success. Secondly the structure of how players come into the league is very different. The NFL draft is more influential than the MLB draft. I think that the NFL wouldn't entirely become like MLB. I think also the NFL has always welcomed competition and being a competetive league, whilst the MLB has always embraced having dominant teams!!

Personally I think the real concern I would have is the NFL turning into a league similar to the EPL, and that even relatively big teams put themselves into dangerous places, financially! You might create an environment where a team pushes it's financial limits to be competitive and drives itself to the wall!

And then what are you left with? I'll tell you what, government run football teams! And who wants that? ;)

It is not big verses small since the TV money is split evenly. The bigger issue is that the players receive 62% of what is called "Defined Gross Revenue": Live Gate receipts, TV contracts, 75% of total luxury box revenue, and even 75% of the money from NFL properties.

What is excluded from the DRG includes, according to the current CBA is: ?revenues derived from concessions, parking, local advertising and promotion, signage, magazine advertising, local sponsorship agreements, stadium clubs, luxury box income other than that included in subsection 1(a)(i)(1).?

When the current CBA was signed, there were teams notably IND and PHX, who had poor local revenue and were spending nearly 70% of their total revenues on player salaries. Now, they (like PHX) have a new stadium, with more suites, thus keep the more money. The owners would like to see a 50/50 split since the players think they are partners in the business.

I'd love to see McNabb in a Cardinals uniform, I think he could do some damage with one of the best WR corps in the league.

Also, BBTV, what are Eagles fans view on Brian Westbrook? Do you guys want him back or do you feel he's more of a backup now?

Don't get me wrong here - Westbrook is one of the all-timers for this franchise, but he is constantly hurt and can't be depended on, and now with his concussion and knee issues, it's probably better for him to retire. The team didn't pick up his option, and they don't seem to have interest in bringing back a guy who is only good for (at most) 12 games a year, and would likely be a backup right now. That doesn't mean that the fans don't love the guy for all he did earlier in his career. It's a shame that he was just so fragile. If he does decide to continue playing, and gets a shot somewhere else, I really hope that he puts together one more great season.

EDIT: the Eagles pass-to-run ratio is ridiculous. There's been games where they've run it 10 times. Reid has a blind faith in McNabb's ability to throw (though it usually ends up behind people or at their feet) and loves the screen to Westbrook (which is very effective, but not when they run it 10 times per game.)

With Kolb at QB, the run/pass ratio was more balanced, and with McCoy and Weaver (assuming he re-signs), there's two guys that have different skill sets than Westbrook, so that should also help the ratio. Westbrook was perfect in the Reid version of "west coast", but that offense clearly wasn't good enough against the tough defenses. You have to be able to run the ball.

I'd really love to see the Eagles commit to running the ball - I mean, I'd give McCoy 60 to 70 carries a game if I could. He's young - he can handle it. However, I don't think the Eagles are going to get anywhere near that kind of commitment to the run while Andy Reid is coach.

That's insane. I'd go no higher than 50 carries for McCoy, and then work in Weaver for 20-30 carries. Maybe even throw Eldra Buckley a bone, you know, since he's such a "goal line threat".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If you told me Rex Ryan was some shlub from Nassau County who won a contest to be the coach of the Jets, I'd believe you. Mere months ago, he was just one man, one large man, sitting on his rust-brown sofa in the basement, watching the NFL Draft in a bootlegged Joe Namath jersey. As he watched the silly Jets Draft Day retrospective (jetrospective?) montage, he rolled his eyes, groaned, and reached for his bottle of High Life. As he poured it into his mouth--not before emitting a mighty belch from the previous swig--he was startled to find that a miniature paper scroll had fallen out of his bottle. As he unfurled the scroll, his eyes lit up with equal parts joy and incredulity. He had to run to the bathroom sink and splash some cool water upon his face to make sure he wasn't hallucinating. He wasn't seeing things. And now, against all odds, he was doing things, things that heretofore had been but the province of his wildest dreams.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Any son of Buddy Ryan is my favorite NFL coach (or in Rob's case coordinator.) After reading that scroll, he could smash that High Life bottle on some old lady's (maybe even a nun who just stopped into the bar to get enough change to get herself 30 minutes at the meter so she'd have enough time to take all of the jackets and other clothes that she has collected for the needy out of her trunk and drop them off at the donation place's) face, and he'd still be my favorite coach.

(I have no idea if I did the possession thing right in that sentence. Wasn't sure if it was the nun's face or the nun who... 's face.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Any son of Buddy Ryan is my favorite NFL coach (or in Rob's case coordinator.) After reading that scroll, he could smash that High Life bottle on some old lady's (maybe even a nun who just stopped into the bar to get enough change to get herself 30 minutes at the meter so she'd have enough time to take all of the jackets and other clothes that she has collected for the needy out of her trunk and drop them off at the donation place's) face, and he'd still be my favorite coach.

(I have no idea if I did the possession thing right in that sentence. Wasn't sure if it was the nun's face or the nun who... 's face.)

I am also not sure of your grammar or syntax, but Rex does consume 7,000 calories/day. On Saturday, most of those were in form of vodka or bourbon. The heel heat which he drew, I love and it is just like his father; the "bird" is unprofessional (and also like his father).

My hope is that as technology advances, the league can complement NFL Redzone with "NFL Rexzone," a channel that simulates the experience of watching various games with Rex Ryan, who offers his "informal" analysis of Sunday's games like he was right there next to you. Like Redzone, Rexzone also hops from game to game, but then hops right back when Rex says "fukkin' what are you doing who said you could change it."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Eagles set to hire Dick Jauron as defensive backs coach.

Also, it has been reported (though not confirmed) that they picked up the $5m option on Michael Vick's contract. I don't read anything into this, other than they felt that if they didn't, nobody would trade for him because they knew that he'd be released. One story has Andy Reid saying that he could play 15 - 20 plays per game next year, but that's impossible. IF they keep McNabb (which I think is less likely every day), he'll complain about it like he did this year. If Kevin Kolb is the QB, it would be bad to have a proven starter looking over his shoulder. They need to just get AJ Feeley back and they'll be fine.

Q: is LT still a bona-fide full-time starter in the league?

Q: if not, does he think that he is? (meaning will he demand top dollar)?

Q: how well does he catch out of the backfield - meaning could he play in a screen-based offense?

I didn't see any of him this year, so I don't know how good he is or isn't any more. But I know that the Eagles are very likely not going to have Westbrook next year, so they'll just have LeShawn McCoy and (probably) Leonard Weaver. They've shown in the past that they do an excellent job of mixing in multiple backs (the "three-headed monster" (Duce Staley, Brian Westbrook, Correll Buckhalter) of 2003 being an example), so I would love them to get a veteran who doesn't mind being the 2nd option to rotate in with the young McCoy and the fat Weaver.

Q: is LT still a bona-fide full-time starter in the league?

Q: if not, does he think that he is? (meaning will he demand top dollar)?

Q: how well does he catch out of the backfield - meaning could he play in a screen-based offense?

I didn't see any of him this year, so I don't know how good he is or isn't any more. But I know that the Eagles are very likely not going to have Westbrook next year, so they'll just have LeShawn McCoy and (probably) Leonard Weaver. They've shown in the past that they do an excellent job of mixing in multiple backs (the "three-headed monster" (Duce Staley, Brian Westbrook, Correll Buckhalter) of 2003 being an example), so I would love them to get a veteran who doesn't mind being the 2nd option to rotate in with the young McCoy and the fat Weaver.

The way he's been banged up, Tomlinson's not a full-time starter. He can start a few games, just not for a full season. If he and McCoy are platooned, they both could thrive in a way that Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush do for the Saints.

Unfortunately, as most athletes are guilty of, Tomlinson doesn't feel his starting and most productive days are done yet.

If I remember correctly, Tomlinson's got a 100-catch season under his belt.

So the Rams have been reportedly interested in trading for Michael Vick. Jeffrey Lurie, do what it takes to get this deal done.

I don't think the Rams are willing to trade for Vick and the $5 million he commands this season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Bengals have once again brought in someone fimiliar with orange and black stripes. This time, it's former Jacksonville WR Matt Jones.

Cincy has also expressed interest in troubled CB Adam 'Pacman' Jones. Sure, why not, right?

6uXNWAo.png

The Bengals have once again brought in someone fimiliar with orange and black stripes. This time, it's former Jacksonville WR Matt Jones.

Cincy has also expressed interest in troubled CB Adam 'Pacman' Jones. Sure, why not, right?

...Not to mention the T.O. rumors that have been circulating. God, I wish I could stop liking them!

Sigs are for sissies.

Wish they wanted McNabb...

No, I heard the Bills and the Browns want McNabb. I want Kolb as my starting QB. Granted, he wouldn't be throwing very much for me, but I trust him more than I trust McNabb.

I'm not sure how McNabb makes sense for a young and crappy team. I could see Heckert and the Browns making a play for Kolb, and I hope the Eagles don't go for it. Kolb is my starter next season, with AJ Feeley as #2 or #3 depending on what happens with Vick (who I hope is gone, but I wouldn't gripe if he wasn't.) If Kolb goes down, Feeley is more than capable of handing off to McCoy 80+ times per game.

Wish they wanted McNabb...

No, I heard the Bills and the Browns want McNabb. I want Kolb as my starting QB. Granted, he wouldn't be throwing very much for me, but I trust him more than I trust McNabb.

I'm not sure how McNabb makes sense for a young and crappy team. I could see Heckert and the Browns making a play for Kolb, and I hope the Eagles don't go for it. Kolb is my starter next season, with AJ Feeley as #2 or #3 depending on what happens with Vick (who I hope is gone, but I wouldn't gripe if he wasn't.) If Kolb goes down, Feeley is more than capable of handing off to McCoy 80+ times per game.

I think the Bills or Browns make far more sense than the Cardinals or Vikings as a destination for McNabb. Teams who haven't won for a while are more likely to trade for a star QB, if only for shirt sales. I still think McNabb will be an Eagle for 2010 though, because without a new contract his trade value is relatively minimal, and who is gonna trade for a guy who would be a free agent after 1 year. But I do think a less succesful team like the Bills or Browns could make some overtures McNabb's way.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived