Think they will...?

Swampee

I don't see the Yankees following the trend; They're an organization that like to set standards and set themselves apart, not do what everyone else is.

They will do it. They did jersey patches, just like everyone else. They did cap patches, just like everyone else. They also tore down thier perfectly good stadium and put up one with more loges and box seats, just like everyone else. They dont set the standards as much as you might think.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see the Yankees following the trend; They're an organization that like to set standards and set themselves apart, not do what everyone else is.

They will do it. They did jersey patches, just like everyone else. They did cap patches, just like everyone else. They also tore down thier perfectly good stadium and put up one with more loges and box seats, just like everyone else. They dont set the standards as much as you might think.

I think this is a little different than jersey and cap patches for anniversaries or stadium openings but okay. It's hard to dispute the Yankees try to pursue these things differently and set themselves apart. The Yankees debuted the patch on rear of cap, refuse to wear the Majestic logo on their jerseys, refuse to change their basic uniform design or wear alternate jerseys, and wear black armbands for passed players/figures within the organization rather than wear patches. While I don't doubt the Yankees could wear the gold-trimmed hat or a jersey-patch of some sort, the organization hasn't altered the jerseys in recent history and I don't find it likely they would now.

They set the standards for payroll and arrogance...every single season.

I understand your argument but the bottom line is that baseball is a team sport. period. at no point in time can one man stand out in the field and win a game by themselves. Its absolutely impossible. That being said, yes, some sports can be dominated by one player at any given time; Like a dominant pitcher in baseball or a sharp shooting guard in b-ball. But you are missing the point that it still takes a team of solid players to win a World Series title or an NBA championship.

Relating this all back to the original discussion...it doesn't matter if a player who was acquired in the off season wears a 'champions' patch with a team the next season. He is still part of the team, and therefore now part of the history of the team. Part of that history is following up winning a championship with the defense of said championship, which that newly acquired player is a part of. So there should be no problems with him wearing the patch now that he is on the team.

You must not have seen The Scout.

The_scout_movie_poster_%281994%29.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I wish there was a button I could press (next to the Add Reply button or something) called "Shock User", and every time I pressed it, whoever typed the associated post would instantly receive a 600,000 volt shock.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wait, didn't the Orioles owner TRY to field an All-Star team by buying players throughout the 90's? Are you mad because they don't spend the money they are allowed to but instead choose to pocket the profits?

Baseball is somewhere between individual and team sport.

Aren't they all?

Sure, to varying degrees. If I had to make a continuum of the main four, individual to team, I'd go baseball > football > basketball > hockey. Baseball's set off more from football than basketball is from hockey.

baeball is one pitcher vs. one hitter. Even when you're on base, you're really by yourself. Of course, everything you do on the bases might affect the pitcher and therefore help or hurt your teammate who is hitting, but essentially, it's a bunch of individuals who happen to be wearing the same jersey. You can be successful in baseball without any other talented teammates. In the other sports, it's much harder to have success without the help of your teammates, whether it be blocking, passing, setting picks (blocking, I guess), etc. The next most individual IMO is basketball.

I just saw this after I posted my response. Refer to my post above. I totally disagree with your logic. Because first of all, you don't have the same pitcher throwing against the same batter each time. If anything, baseball is totally a team sport. Take into consideration when a manager continously goes to his bullpen in a clutch situation in the late innings of a game to counter act certain batters at the plate. If you don't have a great TEAM of relievers who come in and accomplish their role then you won't win that game. I think the main issue here is that it seems like each of us have different meanings of the word 'team'. Just because every player doesn't work in unison on one play all at once like football, it doesn't mean that it isn't a TEAM effort. I think thats where the confusion lies here. In no way shape and form, is baseball an INDIVIDUAL sport like tennis or golf or figure skating for that matter.

Of course it's a team sport. But there's more individual moments in that sport than any other team sport. Batter facing pitcher - one on one. Outfielder catching fly ball - solo.

A guy can hit 500 HR and be a HOFer without ever having any good teammates. He'll never win a title, but that's not the point.

Think about it - what are the big numbers in baseball?

60, 61

714, 755

500 (HR to probably get in the HOF, though maybe not anymore)

3000 (hits - a "magical" hit number)

300 (magical win number)

20 (wins in season)

etc.

They're all individual numbers and individual achievements. Every sport has them, but none are celebrated like baseball's. Every kid who's a fan knows those numbers by heart (or at least they used to.) How many kids can tell you the record for career rushing yards off the top of their head? Career NBA points? But most know that the '72 Dolphins were 17-0, and the Bulls won 72 games one year, etc.

Nobody has ever compared it to tennis or golf or said that it's not a team sport... you're taking the comments waay too far. It's just the most individual of the team sports.

I honestly don't think I'm taking the comment too far to be quite honest. I am simply responding to some of the points that you made. I understand them quite well and am simply disagreeing with some of them. Like I said before, it all comes down to what you believe a true team sport is. Thats all. Its obvious that we disagree on some points, but its also important to note that we do agree on others.

Wait, didn't the Orioles owner TRY to field an All-Star team by buying players throughout the 90's? Are you mad because they don't spend the money they are allowed to but instead choose to pocket the profits?

Yes, there was a period in the mid-90s when the Orioles (and Indians among others) were flush with cash from shiny, new, sold-out stadiums and George III was serving his second "lifetime ban" from baseball when the Orioles were a top-five payroll team. (They were #1 for one season, which Yankee$ fans LOVE to remind you of. What they're less forthcoming about was that the Yankee$ were #2 that year and the difference in payrolls was around $500K.)Since then many many many things have changed and the Yankee$ have resumed their accustomed place of starting the 50-yard dash to the playoffs from the 45 yard marker.

As long as MLB refuses to address the issue of (old)revenue distribution, the game is rigged, whether the Orioles front office is staffed by geniuses or drooling morons.

I wish there was a button I could press (next to the Add Reply button or something) called "Shock User", and every time I pressed it, whoever typed the associated post would instantly receive a 600,000 volt shock.

And I wish MLB shared all revenues equally among all teams, not just new ones. If everybody starts the race to the playoffs from the same financial line and you win, you can gloat all you want. If you're starting the race from the 45 and somebody else is starting from the 40 and other teams are starting from somewhere on the wrong side of the starting line, I don't see that you have a whole lot to celebrate. Woohoo, you have more $$$ than some small countries. That's not an advantage or anything, is it?

And I wish MLB shared all revenues equally among all teams, not just new ones. If everybody starts the race to the playoffs from the same financial line and you win, you can gloat all you want. If you're starting the race from the 45 and somebody else is starting from the 40 and other teams are starting from somewhere on the wrong side of the starting line, I don't see that you have a whole lot to celebrate. Woohoo, you have more $$$ than some small countries. That's not an advantage or anything, is it?

And yet the Rays ended up in the World Series two years ago and the Marlins, WHO MLB JUST ORDERED TO SPEND MONEY, have won two World Series in the last 12 years.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And I wish MLB shared all revenues equally among all teams, not just new ones. If everybody starts the race to the playoffs from the same financial line and you win, you can gloat all you want. If you're starting the race from the 45 and somebody else is starting from the 40 and other teams are starting from somewhere on the wrong side of the starting line, I don't see that you have a whole lot to celebrate. Woohoo, you have more $$ than some small countries. That's not an advantage or anything, is it?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I wish you'd just shut the F up and stop posting your stupid "Yankee$" gimmick every chance you get, whether it has anything to do with the thread, or, like in this case, not.

Seriously. It's old. Don't you realize that all it does is bring the Yankee$[sic] supporters out from the woodwork to argue with you? Let it go, man. Let it go.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The problem isn't the Yankees. (Although I prefer "Bankees" if you MUST dig on them.) The problem is MLB's financial structure. The Yankees are simply playing within the rules given to them. Warped rules in need of drastic change...but they are the rules.

I think something (though NOT a cap like the NFL) will happen after the CBA runs out after the '11 season.

The problem isn't the Yankees. (Although I prefer "Bankees" if you MUST dig on them.) The problem is MLB's financial structure. The Yankees are simply playing within the rules given to them. Warped rules in need of drastic change...but they are the rules.

I think something (though NOT a cap like the NFL) will happen after the CBA runs out after the '11 season.

That being said...let's get back to the point at hand. I think the Yankees wearing the gold outlines during their home opener is fine. Why not celebrate doing something that all 30 clubs are shooting for? They should be proud of their 27th championship. But take it beyond Opening Day and you border on tacky.

If anything, the Yankees have proved that you can't buy a championship. They try to, but as we've seen it doesn't always work. They "win" the offseason every year so the experts pick them to win the title every year, but they don't. 2000. 2009. That's it in years that start with a 2. I'll take "the field" every time.

And I still think they should choose not to wear the gold-outlined stuff in any capacity. You can sell it without wearing it. Not sure that a pregame ceremony adds that much authenticity to the gimmick.

If anything, the Yankees have proved that you can't buy a championship. They try to, but as we've seen it doesn't always work. They "win" the offseason every year so the experts pick them to win the title every year, but they don't. 2000. 2009. That's it in years that start with a 2. I'll take "the field" every time.

And I still think they should choose not to wear the gold-outlined stuff in any capacity. You can sell it without wearing it. Not sure that a pregame ceremony adds that much authenticity to the gimmick.

It's hard to buy your way through the playoffs (small sample size, etc). It's been proven (again and again and again) that it's not at all hard to buy your way into the playoffs.

And I wish MLB shared all revenues equally among all teams, not just new ones. If everybody starts the race to the playoffs from the same financial line and you win, you can gloat all you want. If you're starting the race from the 45 and somebody else is starting from the 40 and other teams are starting from somewhere on the wrong side of the starting line, I don't see that you have a whole lot to celebrate. Woohoo, you have more $$ than some small countries. That's not an advantage or anything, is it?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I wish you'd just shut the F up and stop posting your stupid "Yankee$" gimmick every chance you get, whether it has anything to do with the thread, or, like in this case, not.

Seriously. It's old. Don't you realize that all it does is bring the Yankee$[sic] supporters out from the woodwork to argue with you? Let it go, man. Let it go.

Are you implying that this is somehow a cleverly disguised thread about Vancouver Canucks uniforms that I've mistakenly wandered into? If not, then the "stupid gimmick" is relevant.

It's hard to buy your way through the playoffs (small sample size, etc). It's been proven (again and again and again) that it's not at all hard to buy your way into the playoffs.

This I will agree with. In short series', the most talented team doesn't always win, but over the long haul, talent will generally prevail. And most of the time, talent is expensive.

Are you implying that this is somehow a cleverly disguised thread about Vancouver Canucks uniforms that I've mistakenly wandered into? If not, then the "stupid gimmick" is relevant.

This thread is about the UNIFORMS that the team will wear to celebrate their championship. Your stupid gimmick might be relevant in the "sports in general" forum, but not here.

Sounds like its time to move on.

So what is the time frame to finally learn what they'll do with their unis? It should be soon, right?

Who knows? Technically, they have until opening night to decide. With the Red Sox (or was it the Cardinals)? nobody knew what they were going to do until the actual game started and it was clear that they changed out of the gold-trim jerseys and into their regular ones. They probably don't have to announce anything, though they probably will (if they're going with the gold) so they can sell more of them prior to opening night.

Sounds like its time to move on.

So what is the time frame to finally learn what they'll do with their unis? It should be soon, right?

Who knows? Technically, they have until opening night to decide. With the Red Sox (or was it the Cardinals)? nobody knew what they were going to do until the actual game started and it was clear that they changed out of the gold-trim jerseys and into their regular ones. They probably don't have to announce anything, though they probably will (if they're going with the gold) so they can sell more of them prior to opening night.

I think you're thinking about the Sox. They did that. Seemed kind of dumb to accept the rings in one uni and then go and play in another. I wish they would have at least played in them for one game. There was a rumor that they auctioned them off for charity or something so they didn't want to get them dirty. I would imagine that an actual game worn jersey would be worth more...but I guess I'm wrong.

Archived