Think they will...?

Swampee

Do you think the Yankees will wear special jerseys on Opening Day 2010 with the gold outline around the outside of the logo and the numbers and a World Champions patch?

The Phillies, Cardinals and Red Sox have done it, but I just can't see the Yankees doing it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put me in the "no" column. The Yankees probably see it as beneath them or something to draw special attention to what they've now done 27 times. They believe any season without a World Series title is a failure. Winning one is just business as usual. Or something like that.

BB52Big.jpg

I don't see the Yankees following the trend; They're an organization that like to set standards and set themselves apart, not do what everyone else is.

I was under the impression the gold trim was an MLB mandate for the defending champions, so there may be little choice in the matter.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't see the Yankees following the trend; They're an organization that like to set standards and set themselves apart, not do what everyone else is.

I was under the impression the gold trim was an MLB mandate for the defending champions, so there may be little choice in the matter.

Well if they do end up doing it I'd bet they use as little gold trim as possible.

BB52Big.jpg

The Majestic logo on uniforms is an MLB mandate also, but they don't follow that rule. They just pay a fine. My guess is they won't wear them, but they'll sell a gold outlined version.

they proly will just have the patch on the their hat for the opening night. that's it. Girardi said a few days after they won that he wants to change his numbers from 27 to 28. i think they are pretty focused on getting another title more than celebrating last season.

so, if anything just a patch on the hat, maybe sleeve, but i doubt anything more than just the hat.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

No, and one simple reason---

The yanks have been here before, the Sox, Phillies and Cardinals had to wait decades (almost a centrury for one) to get the title.

It's like they say in football, when you score act like you've done it before.

It's sad these teams need to rely on the last year to boost sales and feel better about themselves. I don't mind a patch commerating it, but gold trimmed jerseys is just vain.

(I'm a Marlins fan BTW, so don't think I'm a Yankee Apologist).

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Will the Yankees add gold trim? No. I'd almost be willing to bet money that they won't.

But they should. There is no difference between wearing a commemorative patch and adding gold trim. Both are symbols that mean exactly the same thing. It's just that the gold trim is more subtle, and thus says it with more class, than the sleeve patch.

If I ran the Yankees, I'd let my staff decide between a very simple sleeve patch of a pennant in midnight blue with the number "27" in Yankees block or a very thin gold outline around the NY logo on the cap. Either way, the Yankees should do something to mark their reigning championship, and they should do it all year long. It's one thing to act like you've been there before; it's quite another thing to act like you aren't actually there. Until the final out of the 2010 World Series, the Yankees are the champions of baseball, and they should take pride in that.

20082614447.png

LOL!

I hate the Yankees. I could care less if they came out wearing pajamas and clown shoes. That being said, I figure I should try to at least contribute something of value to the thread....

...If I had to choose between a patch and gold outline, I'd choose the patch. I think the gold outline isn't noticeable enough to make the same statement that a patch would. But again, I really could care less when it comes to that team :)

Well, much like when the Turn Ahead the Clock uniforms came out and they said, "We're already wearing our future look," my guess is that they'll say something similar for this. Something like, "Our normal uniforms already represent championships." And with 27 of them, they'd be right. (As much as it pains me to say it.)

I don't think so. The Red Sox wore them in 05 and 08 (though just for the pregame then). The Cards wore them in 07 and the Phils in 09, but in between the White Sox didn't wear them. Who knows, maybe MLB mocked it up and thought gold would look bad next to silver and axed it. It would have been pretty cool to see gold replace the silver on their jerseys, but I digress. I don't think the Yanks will wear any gold or commemerative patches.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't think so. The Red Sox wore them in 05 and 08 (though just for the pregame then). The Cards wore them in 07 and the Phils in 09, but in between the White Sox didn't wear them. Who knows, maybe MLB mocked it up and thought gold would look bad next to silver and axed it. It would have been pretty cool to see gold replace the silver on their jerseys, but I digress. I don't think the Yanks will wear any gold or commemerative patches.

They should be more creative with these. The White Sox could have used gold pinstripes (or swapped silver for gold).

The Phillies could have used gold stars.

The Red Sox could have come up with a gold version of their hanging socks patch, and worn actual gold socks as well (yes I know it contradicts their name, but they're not going to spell out "GOLD SOX" on their jerseys. Actually....)

Not sure what the Cardinals could have used, but if I'm turning red socks gold, I can turn red birds gold as well.

Yankees shouldn't really do anything other than a patch. Or maybe a gold number 27 on the sleeve.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They might do a patch that day, but I doubt they'll go for the whole blinged-out uniform treatment. Mind you, this 'tradition' dates back to 2006, so I don't think that it's any kind of MLB-mandated rule. Besides, the Yanks are going to have a ton of pomp and circumstance at the Stadium that day to commemorate the championship. They're a team that doesn't go for patches or uniform changes to mark an event, but when it comes to pre-game ceremonies, the Yankees take the cake.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Huge Sox head here, and just to clear things up, the Sox wore gold outline in '05 pregame ceremonies - just a patch on their jerseys and caps for that game. They did not wear gold outline on anything in '08 pregame or in the game. I know. I was stoked to get some new gear that spring and was greatly disappointed. No way the Yankees do anything but a cap patch.

They might do a patch that day, but I doubt they'll go for the whole blinged-out uniform treatment. Mind you, this 'tradition' dates back to 2006, so I don't think that it's any kind of MLB-mandated rule. Besides, the Yanks are going to have a ton of pomp and circumstance at the Stadium that day to commemorate the championship. They're a team that doesn't go for patches or uniform changes to mark an event, but when it comes to pre-game ceremonies, the Yankees take the cake.

except for stadium closings / openings...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived